Right proper F*#K UP

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Right proper F*#K UP

Postby paleale » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Well i just got my boiler back from the engineering mob in town today and she looks beautful. I was as excited as a fat kid in a candy store to run my brand new MAC 4 FSG tomrrow but alas, they have cut and welded the 4" fill point about 3 mm to close to the still mount :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: . I cant get the 4'' tri clamp to fit over the feral by about 1-2mm. My questions is this if i were to grind 1-2mm off the tri clamp would it greatly affect the sealing properties of the clamp. Any other surgestions to fix this problem would be welcome as i'm rather pissed off right now and can't really think stright.

Cheers
paleale

equipment: FSD Mac 4 SSG, with additional 500ml packed section kit.

Re: Right proper F*#K UP

Postby newbiboozer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Mate those clamps are fairly chunky I'd have no drama grinding a couple of mm off even maybe just a bit of both.
Sucks when crap like that happens. Anyways get it done n make some booze mate.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:33 pm

I was talking to Mac about exactly this a while ago, thinking I'd have to do the same. He reckons you'll be fine grinding them down. I'd take a couple off mm off each clamp at the clash spot, rather than taking a big chunk out of one of them ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby MacStill » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:35 pm

newbiboozer wrote:Mate those clamps are fairly chunky I'd have no drama grinding a couple of mm off even maybe just a bit of both.
Sucks when crap like that happens. Anyways get it done n make some booze mate.

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Tips From The Workbench