Complete wash plumbing

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Complete wash plumbing

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Whoa probably overkill for what I need :scared-eek:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby sp0rk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:25 pm

If you're mounting a magnetic pump below whatever you're pumping, priming shouldn't ever be a problem
I've got a stand I'm sitting my 60L fermenters on so I can use my HBS pump (same as the one earlier in this thread) to pump into my boiler
I also use it on my brew rig, so it's very handy in the brew shed
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby 1 2many » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:00 pm

sp0rk wrote:If you're mounting a magnetic pump below whatever you're pumping, priming shouldn't ever be a problem
I've got a stand I'm sitting my 60L fermenters on so I can use my HBS pump (same as the one earlier in this thread) to pump into my boiler
I also use it on my brew rig, so it's very handy in the brew shed

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid: That's the easiest solution :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby BIG D » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:35 pm

MacStill wrote:Here's a pic next to my march pump on the mash tunn ;-)

IMG_0249.jpg

EDIT: Just weighed it and it's 13.5kg without the box they come in 8-}

I like big stuff. :text-lol:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:59 pm

I've got one of these kegking pumps and have also been driven mad by the priming :angry-banghead:

Well today i came up with a possible solution. It seems to work ok, it's mainly about the timing. Cracking the tap, turning on the pump then turning it off at the right time.

Anyway here's a brief run down of my contraption.

It is simply a piece of 50mm pvc about 400mm long with some reducers down to a 1/2" tap on a "t" into the intake. It holds about a ltr of water.
I fill the tank/pvc have my hoses in the buckets i want to take to and from then crack the tap and let the "head" of water push up the hose towards the bucket, flick the pump on and then turn the tap off and away she goes. I have found it only needs about 300mls of water but the tank needs to be full to have enough head to push the water up the hose.

It took me a couple of goes to get the nack of it but it seems to work ok at this stage. I'll keep you posted :handgestures-thumbupleft:

BTW. leave the cap off when is use, it's just there for looks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby woodduck » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:02 pm

Well an update for you all as promised.

The primer works quite well, it's not as hard to use as i made it sound in the previous post. It only needs enough water let into the tube to get the flow started, about 200-300ml. I've used it quite a bit lately, pumping wash from 30 ltr and 60 ltr fermenters on the ground, dunder, hot water from the boiler into 200 ltr drums. I haven't tryed rum yet though, that is this weekends challange :))

You could make one of these out of whatever you had lying around copper,stainless, pvc, poly, i even thought about a coke bottle. It's only holding water, no wash touches it because of the tap.

Maybe a quick fix for those who already have one of these pumps.

Happy pumping :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Previous

Return to Tips From The Workbench