Star San sanitizer

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Star San sanitizer

Postby kiggsy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi guys

Not sure if this has been covered but I have just discovered soaking your copper bits in Star San sanitizer cleans them up a treat. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
kiggsy

equipment: 2" boka
25L controlled electric boiler
Mac 4 SSG
50L duel element boiler

Re: Star San sanitizer

Postby 1 2many » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Is that diluted to the recommended ratios kiggsy?
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby kiggsy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:27 pm

Yea, I used the recommended dose on some bottles and dropped an immersion chiller, in and it cleaned up nicely.
kiggsy

equipment: 2" boka
25L controlled electric boiler
Mac 4 SSG
50L duel element boiler

Postby 1 2many » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:39 pm

John Palmer wrote:Cleaning Copper
For routine cleaning of copper and other metals, percarbonate-based cleaners like PBW are the best choice. For heavily oxidized conditions, acetic acid is very effective, especially when hot. Acetic acid is available in grocery stores as white distilled vinegar at a standard concentration of 5% acetic acid by volume. It is important to use only white distilled vinegar as opposed to cider or wine vinegar because these other types may contain live acetobacteria cultures, which are the last thing you want in your beer.

Brewers who use immersion wort chillers are always surprised how bright and shiny the chiller is the first time it comes out of the wort. If the chiller wasn't bright and shiny when it went into the wort, guess where the grime and oxides ended up? Yep, in your beer. The oxides of copper are more readily dissolved by the mildly acidic wort than is the copper itself. By cleaning copper tubing with acetic acid once before the first use and rinsing with water immediately after each use, the copper will remain clean with no oxide or wort deposits that could harbor bacteria. Cleaning copper with vinegar should only occasionally be necessary.

The best sanitizer for counterflow wort chillers is Star San'. It is acidic and can be used to clean copper as well as sanitize. Star San can be left in the chiller overnight to soak-clean the inside.

Cleaning and sanitizing copper with bleach solutions is not recommended. The chlorine and hypochlorites in bleach cause oxidation and blackening of copper and brass. If the oxides come in contact with the mildly acidic wort, the oxides will quickly dissolve, possibly exposing yeast to unhealthy levels of copper during fermentation.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby bt1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:53 pm

:text-+1:

And as a spray, diluted with de mineralised water, it's bloody magic for other various equipment and fittings.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby 1 2many » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:12 pm

bt1 wrote::text-+1:

And as a spray, diluted with de mineralised water, it's bloody magic for other various equipment and fittings.

bt1

:text-+1: That's how I take care of my fermenters spoons and temp probes, Spray and no rinse old beer habits.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby sp0rk » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:05 am

I also use mine on all my sausage,jerky and yogurt making gear
As well as my deli slicer
Admittedly I do have the keg king ripoff version, which foams a lot more than real star san
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Return to Tips From The Workbench