How to.... easy, easy flange.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: How to.... easy, easy flange.

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:00 am

:text-+1:

In a vice exactly as woody says is how I did all my easy flanges :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby WTDist » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Cheers guys, ill give the brazing a miss until i get Mapp. I go for the end of the blue flame too, is it called the feather? I remembered having to do that with oxy/acet at school :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby WTDist » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Im thinking of getting bakers soldering fluid from Bunnings tomorrow as im nearly out of my bernzomatic flux paste.
would i be able to get the bakers flux to work with ss to copper with patience or technique?
Someone mentioned comweld 965 or ezi-weld801 is what i need for stainless steel to copper solders. Will this one do at masters... Cigweld 965 Soldering Flux 125ml.
Cigweld 965 description wrote:
For use with all Comweld soft solders, enabling excellent joints to be made on almost all metals and combinations of metals

Very active flux and therefore, if used on copper, brass, bronze may be diluted if required in the ratio 1 part flux to 4 parts water

Highest quality flux

I only have 2 ss to copper solders to do so i wont need too much which is why i would prefer to make do with the bakers flux since most of what i have to do in the future is just copper.
If Cigweld 965 is what i need for ss to copper, can it also be used as copper to copper like the description above? maybe i just need to buy this and dilute down to 4 parts water 1 part flux for copper to copper?

Can anyone help me decide what to buy, cigweld 965 or bakers. I have to try save money but not cut corners... i would really appreciate an experts opinion :D

My ring for my flange is going on the end of the ss, i wasnt going to bell it out but maybe i can make an external ferule or something if i have to (cant have anything making the column narrower as i need to slide things in and out).
Will this work not belled and with bakers or cigweld?
end ss.png

My other solder is just to patch up the holes already in the T500 column put there by the manufacturers :violence-smack:

Ive put all work on my build on hold until i solve this dilemma :angry-banghead: sort of feel like im ranting on and on but i want to be clear in my problem :smile:

cheers
WTDist
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Update to my last post here....

cigweld 965 or comweld 965 as it says on the bottle worked good for my SS to copper

As for copper to copper..... i water it down to about 1:3 or at least 1:1, its all guesses at the time but it worked a treat. soldered my parrot up with it, my slide in plates and what not.
For $6.29 im pretty happy but i haven't used bakers yet but at least i can do SS to copper too now

As for my torch (pinpoint propane torch), i got some 1/4" hot enough to braze last night, wasn't attempting to braze as i was just annealing for a parrot but when i saw it working like a treat (about 40mm turned bright glowing red) i grabbed my brazing rod and sure enough it worked. was in the garage and had the flame over most of the 1/4" and was holding it with needle nose pliers. doubt it would work on anything other than 1/4" but im still impressed.

Next time i make a flange ill try replicate this scenario :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

Postby Adam007 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Only had soft solder, so gave it a try, everyone is correct in saying that you need to hard solder it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

fail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adam007

equipment: 2" Boka
2" Pot
50L Keg Boiler 2400W

Postby woodduck » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:34 pm

Looking at your boka build, you have formed a flange on the pipe. If thats the case you may get away with closing the gap in the ring and soldering it on. If you have mapp gas you should be able to hard solder those 6mm rings.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Adam007 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Yeah I have mapp gas, just don't have the brazing rods on hand at the moment.
Adam007

equipment: 2" Boka
2" Pot
50L Keg Boiler 2400W

Postby WTDist » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:45 pm

I got away with no hard solder. and i have a copper ring soldered to ss with no flange. as long as it is tight it will be good. so it seems for me. like wood said... fill with solder. its what i did

Just made 2 more i intend to use on a 1m packed section
WTDist

Postby xcvator » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:29 am

You can also clamp the unsoldered flange in place with a triclamp then solder with aqua safe soft solder
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:55 am

I wouldn't do that to a triclamp ;-)
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WTDist » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:30 am

rumdidlydum wrote:I wouldn't do that to a triclamp ;-)

:text-+1: i do mine up bloody tight so i dont want to stress the metal with heat ;-)
i would use one of these SS clamps if your worried... i had used it for soldering 4 times and its done up tight on my still ATM :handgestures-thumbupleft: cheap and if it breaks oh well

but i dont clamp i just put them in place and solder. if a bit sticks out i grind it back and fill with solder. i have 4 like this so far and they all work.
WTDist

Postby jacobraven » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 am

What brazing rods should I use with the map gas Bronze or Nickel Silver

Edit think i just found the normal silver ones is that wha i use? this one
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby xcvator » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:45 am

If you're directing the flame properly at the copper tube and not the flange it won't hurt the tri clamp
xcvator

equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Postby scythe » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:53 am

I would not use a filler made of brass, not to mention you dont know what is in that particular flux coating.
Take a wander off to the plumbing section and look for the lengths of silver solder, they are near all the other types of solders, get 2.5% (or maybe its 5%) and you dont actually "need" a flux for copper to copper joins.
Also its about $4 a stick, many an easy flange could be joined with one stick.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby jacobraven » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:58 am

Ive got the aquasafe roll of solder i use for it but I was meaning to hard solder the ring together

or is this what you mean http://www.bunnings.com.au/consolidated ... k_p5060118
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby scythe » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Thats the ones you are after.
Pretty sure its the 2% or 2.5% you want.

The aqua safe100 is a lead free soft solder, which is what you use for all your joins and such that wont be hammered.
Because of its low melting point its preferable to use for most joins we do.

Silver solder is a hard solder and will be used for situations where a high yeild strength is required, like when you are hammering easy flanges.
It comes in small diameter rods.
Last edited by scythe on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby WTDist » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:56 pm

More silver will be easierwith the silver having a low melting point but 2% will be fine from what i have been told by others
WTDist

Postby Jackson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:27 am

I have just made my first easy flange, is there any diameter you are aiming to hammer it out to? for my 2 inch flange it ended up with a diameter of 66mm.
Jackson

equipment: Currently have a T500. looking to get a pot still head to expand my abilities

Postby GroggyAl » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:07 am

You are pretty close there Jackson. The OD of a 2" ferrule is 64mm. By the time you file up any dags you will be close enough for a good seal with standard clamp.
There is a table of ferrule dimensions in the 5 Star Distilling section (under CommercialAdvertising Area - post called FSD ferrule specs/size chart)
GroggyAl

equipment: Home built 2" Boka with after-cooler & parrot.
2x 2400w electric 50L keg (insulated).
Recirculated cooling water system

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:27 pm

Will the 1/4 inch ring easy flange fit a 3/4 tri clamp?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench