How to.... easy, easy flange.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: How to.... easy, easy flange.

Postby woodduck » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:54 pm

No
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby WTDist » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Just thought i would post this in here. If your getting solder running under your flange rings while makeing an easy flange it may be because of all the flux that runns there. I use liquid flux (bakers, in pic) and i use a lot but just before i solder i get a rag and really wipe hard on the bottom of the ring to get all of the flux off. Used to be plagued with solder underneath until i started doing this. Easy and takes 5 seconds to save a lot of time and pain sanding.

Another note, started using 10% silver brazing rods, omg what a huge difference that made, piece of piss doing rings with that

Here is something i just did, one on left has solder blob on inside from other pipe above, not from the ring itself.

2016-08-07 13.03.35.jpg

This is something i would like to have known when i started :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
WTD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:36 pm

You don't need to use a lot of flux, just brush a thin coat around the parts that will contact each other. I usually suspend what I'm soldering so the flux won't pool under it, let it dry then keep it suspended (in a vice or clamped) when soldering so that any excess falls to the ground. Take a half step backwards if you're wearing thongs :laughing-rolling:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby mattcoffs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Hey Gents.

Couple follow up questions in regards to those having troubles silver soldering with their Mapp torch.

I've ran into this too.
At least, I did on a 2" boka head doing the slant plates but I really need to make a few flanges on some tube so I thought i'd post it here because it seemed relevant.

I have the tradeflame Mapp kit from Bunno's https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame- ... t_p5910233

I couldn't get enough heat into it to get the solder to run, before completely burning off the flux and making everything nasty...

My question is, at $125ish is the TS8000 head really going to be a worthwhile investment for me? Do you think it will solve these issues?
Reason I ask is they also sell a disposable Oxy kit for $300. I don't really have $300 spare right now, but i also don't want to fork out $125ish for a head and be in the same place....

Need some solid wisdom here please?
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:45 pm

I've got exactly that torch, and haven't had any issues soft soldering anything from 1/4" to 4"... it happily hard solders any 1" or less or small bits of 2". I don't think the torch is your issue :think:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby mattcoffs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I've got exactly that torch, and haven't had any issues soft soldering anything from 1/4" to 4"... it happily hard solders any 1" or less or small bits of 2". I don't think the torch is your issue :think:

Ok, this is interesting...
I have an old friend/mentor who's an ex toolmaker who also could not get it to flow with my torch, and his brazing work is top notch. Either of us had no trouble with his OXY, so I guess that means I'm not totally hopeless...

You know I was trying to hard solder slant plates into 2" not soft solder? When you said "small" bits of 2" what did you mean exactly?
May I ask you to elaborate on your process Zak?
Cheers!
mattcoffs

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:50 pm

Sorry, I missed that. Yeah you're gunna struggle silver soldering your plates in.

You're also going to be burning your flux before you get hot enough for hard solder to flow...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby mattcoffs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Yeah sweet, no wux.
Any difference with the head I have and the TS800 that's recommended here do you think? Or just pushing shit uphill? :))
mattcoffs

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Why not soft solder them in?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Azza76 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:13 pm

I soldered my plates in with a ts 8000 went ok
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby mattcoffs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Why not soft solder them in?

Yeah, because I figured braising these would make it easier to soft solder the therm port well and fluid output without a giant mess. As well as not all running out when I braise the flange on (had no 1/4 pipe so I did the plates early... )
No biggie, I guess I was really aiming the question at whether the torch head was going to give me a different result. Appreciate the input :happy-partydance:
mattcoffs

Postby Dig Brinker » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:44 am

I've only tried silver soldering flange rings with the MAPP torch and found that to be "not easy". By not easy I mean you really have to pump the heat in a hell of a lot more than soft solder. I have soft soldered with the same torch up to 6" heavy gauge copper for great results.

Lol at my post above. Did some soldering yesty (in thongs) and forgot about the splatters of hot, liquid metal until I started doing the hot solder shuffle :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby scottyd72 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:51 pm

I cant see the original pics in the first post. Any chance Mac can repost them?
scottyd72

equipment: Bokakob LM reflux with homemade cooling coil. Building a 3" bubbler...

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Fucking photo bucket :angry-banghead:

See what we can do :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:19 pm

New pics have been loaded to the original post, many thanks to woodduck for supplying the pics :clap:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Psykamaholik » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:35 pm

So I made up a bunch of rings for easy flanges and wound up with a few that don't quite fit properly, are they salvageable?

20171116_220124.jpg

20171116_220140.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby crow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:55 am

If you can fill that gap somehow but it might be more effort than that bit a tube is worth.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby woodduck » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:46 am

I've got a whole collection of them :laughing-rolling: you could try and fill it with a very short bit of pipe, the hard solder should hold it ok :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Psykamaholik » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:19 am

I was afraid that might be the case.... Oh well, cut some more it is...
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby db1979 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:25 am

I've found that if you flatten the rings off the pipe they expand somewhat. They do change their radius too but it's possible to bend, hammer, bend, hammer so that they'll be the right shape to fit the pipe. Also, if you flare the pipe over enough so that the gaskets are only touching the flared pipe it won't matter if the ring isn't all the way around.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench