How to.... easy, easy flange.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: How to.... easy, easy flange.

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:50 am

I don't think I go timid towards what I do, I think I get over confident and that's when I get a bit pear shaped. Ego can destroy me :angry-banghead:
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby Canuck » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:28 am

I was having difficulty getting the ends together/getting a good fit of the ring to the pipe. I happened to spy a large stainless circular pipe clamp on the bench. wound the rings, cut the links on the band saw, fine tuned the fit to the pipe with a belt sander. didnt flatten the rings or anything, just clamped the ring on the pipe and made sure it was flush with the pipe end and soft soldered the ring. after banged the flange flat on the anvil. seemed easier than the silver solder route to me. the one in the pic is done, just thought pic would explain better than my words.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby Canuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:44 am

Made an extension for my column and thought to take some pics of soft solder easy flange with clamp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby Canuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:47 am

these should be first sorry noob. :angry-banghead:
Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks again everyone for all the invaluable information that you all have given me over the last year or two, been quite a troll and read hours and hours, alot of you guys are very funny, love reading dunder , In the shed makes my wife wonder what I'm laughing at... sorry if this is in the wrong place. :greetings-waveyellow:
Canuck

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:31 am

So This is the first flange bend I attempted. I didn't have an anvil at the time, so I used a shifter to slowly pry the first 50-75% of the bend. Finished of with a hammer. I noticed the flat, square edges of the shifter was creasing and cutting the tube wall, and before I knew it, I tore it. You can see in the image the poor craftsmanship, and that it's a 10mm flange, not 6mm like Mac has suggested. I've since ground it back and hugged/soldered a ring to it. Haven't got a pic of that yet, but in the end I successfully made an easy flange. Now to practice it again and again until it's schmick enough for a build!
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby woodyj80 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:12 pm

i found using brendan's method off using a offcut of flat bar and cutting a groove in one end works a treat for flaring the end :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodyj80

equipment: still spirits air still, 25 litre fermenter,carbon filter, 22 litre urn, 15 litre pot, and the usual bits and pieces

Postby Redux » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:30 am

will 9mm tube work for the rings? or is 6mm the only size that fits under a clamp?
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby woodduck » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:54 am

Hi redux,

I've never tried 9mm but i recon it will be too big. The 6mm is perfect.

Have you got a build on the go? Any details or is hush hush for now.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Redux » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:57 am

woodduck wrote:Hi redux,

Have you got a build on the go? Any details or is hush hush for now.

:laughing-rolling:

nope nothing on the go for me.. im dangerously incompetent...

just wondering if it can be used by someone else in a build.

:D
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:27 am

:text-+1:

Even on a 6" flange, the 6mm is good to go.
At that size you just have to remember not to flatten before soldering. Otherwise the flange will be too thin to tighten up enough.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:38 pm

You can flatten the rings in a vice if your hammering or ears aren't too good.
Doing this you can square them to the tube at the same time by eyeing the level of the tube relative to the vice.
By noting the angle of the vice handle you can progressively get them the same thickness all the way round.
Squeeze adjust, squeeze adjust (by rolling in the vice)
A little patience helps
Copper is very malleable when annealed but quickly becomes hard (brittle) each time you work (hit or crush) it. Then it will ripple or tear as the poster above found using a spanner.
Vice forming.jpg
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm

Redux wrote:will 9mm tube work for the rings? or is 6mm the only size that fits under a clamp?

If you stuffed up or had no choice and used the 9mm it is not too hard to reduce the diameter with a sander or even a file.
If you flattened them too much after you have soldered/brazed them on you can add another behind and give it the same flattening and end up with a very strong flange of the same thickness.
This can be seen in my pic above on the left flange 8-} :shock:
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby WTDist » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:30 pm

Hey i have a few of questions. :-B

Firstly can i just use a grinder to cut these rings or do i need a hacksaw?

Does it need to be annealed pipe or will a standard 1/4" pipe work?

If after i soldered the rings together and place them on the pipe and they rattle around as if they are slightly larger will this matter? im thinking this sorts itself out with spacing when you tap it all down flat??

Lastly will any hammer do for making the flange on the pipe or should i use a ball pein hammer with the rounded edge? i have plenty of different hammer types just none of those. And if i need to get one i assume it doesn't have to be anything fancy since its light taps? just a cheapo :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby woodduck » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:48 pm

WTDist wrote:Hey i have a few of questions. :-B

Firstly can i just use a grinder to cut these rings or do i need a hacksaw?
grinder works fine
Does it need to be annealed pipe or will a standard 1/4" pipe work?
you will need annealed or anneal your own by heating it. If you don't anneal it won't roll properly
If after i soldered the rings together and place them on the pipe and they rattle around as if they are slightly larger will this matter? im thinking this sorts itself out with spacing when you tap it all down flat??
a little loose should be ok but i wouldn't go more than 2-3mm
Lastly will any hammer do for making the flange on the pipe or should i use a ball pein hammer with the rounded edge? i have plenty of different hammer types just none of those. And if i need to get one i assume it doesn't have to be anything fancy since its light taps? just a cheapo :laughing-rolling:
any hammer will do but i find a square edge is handy to get right in the corner. I now use my vise to flatten the ring, just slowly go round squeezing it in a bit at a time. But a hammer works fine if you don't have a vice.
Cheers

good luck and have fun :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Great post Woody :handgestures-thumbupleft: All spot on.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby WTDist » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Cheers Woodduck. I think ill use the vice if you recommend it, a mate is lending me one of his. Makes me feel a little more confident in myself now :D
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Ploopyster » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:31 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:

At that size you just have to remember not to flatten before soldering. Otherwise the flange will be too thin to tighten up enough.

DBV

Oh no, is this the same for a 2" pipe? Do you need to solder it before flattening out? I didn't do that. ~x(
Ploopyster

equipment: Home-made jobby. 2" 1metre column with interchangeable pot still head (with 500mm 2" shotgun condenser) and building a boka head with Liebig condenser.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Ploopyster wrote:
dogbreath vodka wrote:

DBV

Oh no, is this the same for a 2" pipe? Do you need to solder it before flattening out? I didn't do that. ~x(

You did OK
That was a reference to 6" pipe.
On 2" you need to flatten it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It's all good. :D

If you read my original post you will see that it was referring to 6" pipe.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Ploopyster » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:06 pm

You did OK
That was a reference to 6" pipe.
On 2" you need to flatten it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It's all good. :D

If you read my original post you will see that it was referring to 6" pipe.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Phew. Made the flanges up and just waiting on the clamps to arrive! Relived that everything is going to be Oak.
Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Sam. on Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Ploopyster

equipment: Home-made jobby. 2" 1metre column with interchangeable pot still head (with 500mm 2" shotgun condenser) and building a boka head with Liebig condenser.

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench