How to.... easy, easy flange.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: How to.... easy, easy flange.

Postby maheel » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:48 am

pretty sure it's just copper "plate" and he has made a big washer type shape for the front end of the sight glass .
maheel

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:10 am

maheel wrote:pretty sure it's just copper "plate" and he has made a big washer type shape for the front end of the sight glass .

Yep! but even easier now I just soft solder a ferule to my column and use lenses and O rings, only works out at about $25 per sight glass :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by JayD on Wed May 15, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed reference
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Firedragon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:42 pm

I've found all this info and other topics about soft soldering great. I put off my own build cause of brazing and thinking I had to use ss. Being a sparky I can solder quite well and have a great butane torch. I think my own pot still and thumper build will be on the roll real soon. Thanks mc. :dance:
Firedragon

equipment: Airstill

Postby JayD » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:49 am

Great info... :text-thankyoublue:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby deejay » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:12 pm

:D yes I finaly made one it took a couple of gos
What a great way of making flanges thanks McStill :handgestures-thumbupleft:
deejay

equipment: 50 litre boiler, 2" boka ,and a 3" x 4 perferated plate still

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Just thought I'd throw it out there, what do u need to do to the top of the keg?
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 am

Urrazeb wrote:Just thought I'd throw it out there, what do u need to do to the top of the keg?

Just pull out the spear, it's really easy.... just ask me :teasing-tease:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby caveman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Yer I've seen kimbo do it he makes it look real easy :teasing-tease:
caveman

equipment: 3" macStill boka
2" pot still with shotgun condencer (the swan with hotdog ) custom by mcstill
105L custom built s/s boiler with sight glass/fillport ,thermoport
Aces high thumper plate bubbler ( long term project)
building custom mobile boiler bench

Postby JayD » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Urrazeb wrote:Just thought I'd throw it out there, what do u need to do to the top of the keg?

Just pull out the spear, it's really easy.... just ask me :teasing-tease:

and a little more how to do for you...

literally a small to medium flat blade screw driver and a hammer and a reasonable tap under the lip to remove the spiral lock clip then gently prise the inverted spear up by the tangs... :teasing-tease:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby SBB » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:13 pm

There are a few different sorts of kegs, all require slightly different methods. One hint is to lay the keg on its side when releasing any pressure from the keg, you wont end up with a face full of stale beer that way. Some of the tops will screw off using stillsons or similar, others require the scewdriver method mentioned above. The following link to Utube shows how to tackle some of them.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... iBX61kFcsI
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Chocaholic » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:30 pm

SBB wrote:One hint is to lay the keg on its side when releasing any pressure from the keg, you wont end up with a face full of stale beer that way.

I'd say more of a warning SBB :)) It's amazing how a little fluid can go a LONG way!
Chocaholic

equipment: Amphora Society PDA-1

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:37 pm

Chocaholic wrote:
SBB wrote:One hint is to lay the keg on its side when releasing any pressure from the keg, you wont end up with a face full of stale beer that way.

I'd say more of a warning SBB :)) It's amazing how a little fluid can go a LONG way!

Just ask the Paraletic Paramedic :teasing-tease:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:40 pm

Kimbo wrote:Just ask the Paraletic Paramedic :teasing-tease:

That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and the the downy trying to get the spear out :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby petes » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:36 am

Step 2.
With the end of the pipe you want to flange, bell the end slightly on an anvil or on your vice, gently at first and about 6mm flared out. once the end is at about 45 degrees you can now flatten it to 90 degrees with short sharp taps, again just gentle, it will form but dont rush and theres no need to anneal the pipe first.

Macca or anyone............If the copper has been annealed, can it still be formed in this manner please? More likely to split?
Have a 4" copper fitting that I'm aiming to acquire, needs a flange one end, my soldering skills are zip but I can use a hammer!
petes

equipment: Amphora PDA 1

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:29 am

petes wrote:Macca or anyone............If the copper has been annealed, can it still be formed in this manner please? More likely to split?
Have a 4" copper fitting that I'm aiming to acquire, needs a flange one end, my soldering skills are zip but I can use a hammer!

It will be fine, just gotta work it slowly.... dont rush it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:13 pm

I did 2" flanges and found them piss easy is 3" any harder using this method (more heat required ect) of pretty much the same and I have seen pipe flared to 90' is there an advantage to either method
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MR-E » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:32 pm

croweater wrote:I did 2" flanges and found them piss easy is 3" any harder using this method (more heat required ect) of pretty much the same and I have seen pipe flared to 90' is there an advantage to either method

I've only done the annealed version, 2", 3" & 4", on the larger pieces I used extra heat from my gas burner to anneal the copper.
I just formed the flanges a bit at a time.
A tip if you want smooth flanges is to use a soft blow hammer (the hard nylon ones) once done, I lay it face down and tap the back
of the flange to get a nice flat surface.

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby crow » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks bud , I haven't tried doing one that way myself but I think I will just so I can compare both ways > the flattened 1/4 pipe was so easy to braze but on seeing the other method it looks to be just as easy and I don't need to scab my mates oxy set
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby petes » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:33 pm

It will be fine, just gotta work it slowly.... dont rush it :handgestures-thumbupleft:[/quote]

Great stuff, thank you.
Fittings I was after fell into my possession today so coming up.....but slowly, slowly.
petes

Postby petes » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:20 am

Picture 422.jpg
[attachment=1]Hey thanks Macca, attempt at flange worked a treat first time up.
Used a short 90degree bend, worked flange on male end, guessed an angle to saw it off at, then opened my boiler and it even fitted. So I had it stitched together - can't weld or solder for trying - stainless disc cut as closure with insertion rubber gasket wrapped in PTFE tape, used bulldog type paper clamps to hold the lot down. Even ran my still for the first time with a vinegar cleaner through. Would post a couple of shots but haven't figured the how yet. (Well maybe I have after all.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petes

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench