Electro coated copper pipe

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Electro coated copper pipe

Postby BNS Bootlegn' » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:12 pm

hey guys just had a bit of a brain wave and was wondering if anyone else had looked into/ thought the same thing. I am planning to build a 4 inch bubbler soon and was wondering if instead of making it from copper you could make the whole thing from stainless and get it copper plated though electrolysis. Would this achieve the same results as a copper still? It's just because stainless is a lot cheaper and I think it's easier to work with.
BNS Bootlegn'

equipment: Turbo 500 (for now) looking into building a keg boiler and my own pot still

Re: Electro coated copper pipe

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:14 pm

I'm not sure about electroplating...

But you only need a bit of copper in a still for sulphide removal. If you make your plates out of copper you'll be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:29 pm

:text-+1: what Zak said

Besides, I've looked into it and there aren't too many people that will tackle it.
Firstly Copper will not electroplate to SS, you need to electroplate nickel first, then you can electroplate copper...I think that was the case.
Second, it's bloody expensive!
Why go to all that trouble?

What "results" are expecting from an all copper still that you think you won't get from a stainless still with copper plates?
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby BNS Bootlegn' » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:53 pm

Was just looking into the idea more than anything just looking into different ways of doing things :)
BNS Bootlegn'

equipment: Turbo 500 (for now) looking into building a keg boiler and my own pot still

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:01 pm

All good mate, keep it simple is the motto round here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Return to Tips From The Workbench