Connecting Reducers to pipe.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Connecting Reducers to pipe.

Postby WTDist » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:38 pm

How have people been connecting 2" to 4" reducers? i wanted to solder it onto my 4" but they are same size as pipe :angry-banghead: So i didnt buy it yet
dont want to use a joiner. do people just easy flange both ends of the reducer? Or is there another way?

If anyone knows where i can get a 4"-2" reducer that slides over my 4" that would be good, in brissy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Connecting Reducers to pipe.

Postby moonshinindawg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:51 pm

I have an expander if you want to use it, just expand the same size reducer to fit over the 4"
Im near indro
moonshinindawg

equipment: Offset Valved Reflux

Postby Adam007 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:30 pm

FTG means it's the same size ie 4"

C means a cup end

They should make reducers with cups on both ends, but likely hard to find. Either use expander or couplers/joiners.
Adam007

equipment: 2" Boka
2" Pot
50L Keg Boiler 2400W

Postby Zipeddy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:33 pm

I easy flanged all mine WTD but remains to be seen if it works without leaks. Hopefully find out this weekend. I just assumed everyone used clamps. Wish i had known about these flaring tools a few months ago. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Zipeddy

equipment: 4" glasser
4 plates
500mm packed section for neutral
50L keg boiler

Postby GroggyAl » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:40 pm

My 4x2 reducer was long enough for me to get an easy flange on the 4" end of it. Makes a neat clamp connection onto the RC and keeps it all compact.

For those building or contemplating a new build I would recommend buying one of these exhaust tailpipe expander sets.
Buy one set between 3 or 4 builders living close to each other and it gets even cheaper. Cost is $32 delivered and the set goes from 1-1/8th to 3-1/2".

image.jpg

It won't expand 4" but will expand a pipe to fit into 4". You can also use it to do tapered reducers. I used some 1/4 flat bar strips as a spacer and managed to expand 4" once but it's not easy. The difficulty is holding the pipe and tool while expanding.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Available from Sydney. Delivery wasn't the fastest but it arrived and good value for money.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-3PCS-TAI ... 0795719417
Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GroggyAl

equipment: Home built 2" Boka with after-cooler & parrot.
2x 2400w electric 50L keg (insulated).
Recirculated cooling water system

Postby WTDist » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:01 am

Cheers guys. I think easy flange is the way i should go. Might braze the rings on it this time just to make sure they are strong. Usually soft solder the rest. Had a look in the shop yesterday and there is enough room for a good flange.

Groggy, thats a nice flaring tool there. I would get it but i only have one reducer i need, the bottom one since ill be having a 4" tee going out into a 2" so only the one reducer

Cheers guys
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Interested in more info on these car exhaust expanders if anyone has any.

How neat can they expand 2" pipe, not like the reducer one in the second pic, expanding to join 2" pipe over another piece of 2" pipe? so save having a joiner. Is it ugly or acceptable?

Did a ebay search on pipe expander and these were the most available. Has anyone else used them and any recommendations? not bad i guess for $30 or so

Cheers
WTD
WTDist

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Sounds like it would be easier and maybe cheaper ta just TIG a 4inch ferrule to ya boiler,especially if you plan on an in line thumper or the 8inch glass plates.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby WTDist » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:37 pm

Sorry hillz i didnt explain myself properly. old thread thats sorted got a flanged 4-2" reducer.

New problem... connecting two 2" pipes without a coupler/joiner expanding one 2" pipe to fit over the other 2" pipe so there is no need for.a coupler/joiner.

Expand one pipe to slide over another and solder :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Planing on a few of these down the track and thought a cheap expander would be a better buy than a few couplers/joiners

Cheers
WTD
WTDist

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:22 pm

moonshinindawg wrote:I have an expander if you want to use it, just expand the same size reducer to fit over the 4"
Im near indro

In that case I would prolly take this generouse offer ,as good expanders cost 100-200min bucks for 2inch-4inch,I have used the exaust expanders but they were no good for short neat joins.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Kenster » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:26 pm

WT, you could just slice off a 1/2'' section of 2'' pipe, slice it so it opens up and slide it along the pipes to be joined. ie. make your own collar/joiner. There will be a small gap where it doesent meet up but u could solder it up as it is only butting up to the 2 pipes.... it will do the job. Cheapest way around it.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Kenster » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:51 pm

Just search and all their stuff comes up.http://stores.ebay.com.au/international ... 7675.l2563
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:10 pm

Eh WTDist whynot make your own reducers using this method viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6444

I found it is easy as as long as everything is annealed and when hard soldering the joint it won't come apart when one soft soldered the easy flanges on.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby royboy73 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:57 pm

Flared a bit pipe for a member the other day. And just acquired a 1 1/2 to 4 inch flaring tool so thought I'd put this up anyone near young NSW happy to lend or help them out if I can good karma points cheers Roy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
royboy73

equipment: 50 L homemade reflux still square column 50 L pot still 4 plate bubbler

Return to Tips From The Workbench