Silver solder

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Silver solder

Postby GMan » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:08 pm

Is this an acceptable solder to use on my plates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GMan

equipment: Unknown at the moment.

Re: Silver solder

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Silver, copper, tin and zinc.
Looks ok to me. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Kenster » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:04 pm

GMan...plenty of silver in those sticks which helps with flow...i had a nightmare trying to get enough heat with Map with AG5%, was crap the went to 15% still shit... just couldnt get enough heat up to 3''...
Ended up getting a guy to TIG copper to ss for me and the rest i just used lead free soft solder for the larger copper.
I notice some stainless in your pic, so the soft solder may not be a goer at all.
As you are talking 'plates', i assume you are familiar with 'stuff'.. and you have been a member for quite some time, again, an assumption,you know what you want. From experience...oxy or oxygen/map combo will give you least amount of drama.
But, you probably know all this... happy building.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby toil » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Kenster, soft solder works for copper to stainless and stainless to stainless as long as you prep it right and use the right flux.
toil

equipment: 3" VM still
2" pot still
Pure distilling reflux still gathering dust

Postby Kenster » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:12 pm

toil, thanks for the reminder...
i do recall reading about how to solder ss...i suppose i just dismissed it from my mind coz it didnt seem as though it would suit 3'' pipe and hold up like the silver and TIG... my bad... thanks again.
Ken
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Return to Tips From The Workbench