Hot Devil Oxy Kit

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Hot Devil Oxy Kit

Postby WTDist » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Hey guys, not looking to buy now but if i can afford it down the track i think it would be worth it.

Although, Im wondering if anyone uses these to braze and solder, or just braze and what their capabilities would be like for copper work. Good control or not, Gas consumption good/bad? they are also at super cheap for a bit more. I currently use mapp torch and am looking for more heat down the road.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-Devil-Po ... 2271509537

Cheers
WTD
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Hot Devil Oxy Kit

Postby bluc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Have considered them to. Heard of people using lpg/propane combined with oxygen with good results through an oxy torch :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby coffe addict » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:03 pm

I recently bought a trade flame pro torch that works with no regulator. I bought the 25mm head, 4m hose and a pol lpg bottle adapter. I easily silver soldered 4in with pipe and joiner sitting in a vice, which is a big heatsink!
They sell smaller heads which I think I'll need to be able to solder.
Under $100 and runs on lpg.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby WTDist » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:03 pm

when you say silver solder do you mean braze or soft? I plan to use LPG too with an adapter lead but want oxy too. I like the idea of a lot of heat in a localised area faster without heating everything else up. Might pick one up This weekend. Want to braze more than solder
WTDist

Postby coffe addict » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:07 pm

Yeah brazing with silver rods. It throws out heaps of heat and have only ran at around 70% so think it'd even manage on 6in with bessa blocks instead of the vice.
I also plan to mostly braze but use soft on a cpl points to be able to take apart if needed
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby coffe addict » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:09 pm

The oxy set you linked would chew the gas on big joins and those bottles are expensive...
coffe addict

Postby coffe addict » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Could they be connected to a 9kg bottle of lpg and a hired bottle of oxygen?
Might work out cheaper.
coffe addict

Postby WTDist » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:15 pm

yea, the adapter will hook up to the lpg, but oxy i dunno, i will have some big joins to do for my thumper so i will need something capable of 8" at least. Mapp isnt cheap and i was already looking at hose kits for 100 so 160 or 180 isnt much more i guess

I prefer smaller flames with more heat so it doesnt heat everything up, just the thing i want.
WTDist

Postby coffe addict » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Yeah time will tell how mine goes on smaller fiddly stuff.
coffe addict

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:40 pm

All I use is a 9kg bunnings bottle of gas with a HP reg and a bottle of oxy, to start one only needs a sniff of lpg the a gentle application of oxy to get a good flame for SS. For heating up a 1/4" easy flange ring takes about 30 seconds and job done.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby WTDist » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:49 pm

When i get the oxy devil kit what connection/bit will i need to buy to use it with an LPG bottle?

finally got some finances to throw at a the oxy kit and want to order it ASAP on ebay, just want to know how to connect to a LPG before i start. Connectors and a regulator? size?
would be a big help.

Im off to bunnings very soon and can grab things there if they have it.

Cheers
WTDist

Postby coffe addict » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:25 pm

The big Green shed sells pol adapters and I'm fairly sure that they stock suitable lpg adapters. If not there's a welding and tool supplies store on lytton road by the colmslie Rd round about they have all the bits you'll need.
I've found that they are usually cheaper than bunnings too.
coffe addict

Postby WTDist » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Awsome ill check them out
Cheers
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:52 pm

Just ordered the oxy kit online. will know how well it goes in a week or two. Ill source those propane LPG cylinder bits too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:36 am

coffe addict wrote:The big Green shed sells pol adapters and I'm fairly sure that they stock suitable lpg adapters. If not there's a welding and tool supplies store on lytton road by the colmslie Rd round about they have all the bits you'll need.
I've found that they are usually cheaper than bunnings too.

Just talked to the welding mob this morning in their store. They recommended that if bunnings stocks them (which they do) to use the adapter to POL for LPG from bunnings. They didnt have something them self but said this below will work fine.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gasmate-900 ... r_p3180441

I asked about a HP reg and they said i wouldnt need it. most people use the 4.5kg bottles but this because its easier to move them for jobs but with the 8.5kg one i have i will be fine as they all have the same pressure and are filled the same. just different size.

So they recommended just using the bunnings one above when i want to, it will be fine they said.
WTDist

Postby coffe addict » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:41 pm

Excellent I love cheap and easy! happy days.
coffe addict

Return to Tips From The Workbench