Sealing benchtops

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Sealing benchtops

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Hey all so looking for a way to seal my benchtops in my brew shed. Looking at maybe a coat of stain followed by beeswax anybody see problems with this in a brewing enviroment ? My bench-top is form ply. My second idea is to by some cheapish cliplock flooring and cover the bench's with that.. Want a sealed surface to stop stuff soaking in to make cleanup easy.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Sealing benchtops

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Form ply as in its black? If so that's already a sealed surface. If it's just raw ply then a 2 pack sealer would be best, if you're not confident with 2 pack then any estapol or varnish would be OK.
Beeswax will work too but it's probably more maintenance, as its effectively a workbench you would have to re apply every few weeks.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Form ply as in its black? If so that's already a sealed surface. If it's just raw ply then a 2 pack sealer would be best, if you're not confident with 2 pack then any estapol or varnish would be OK.
Beeswax will work too but it's probably more maintenance, as its effectively a workbench you would have to re apply every few weeks.

Ok will look at the varnish estapol. How would varnish estapol handle hot stuff ?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Plumby » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:53 pm

I use form ply for concrete form work all the time mate its tough stuff. When I'm laying stone or bricks I use an off cut as my mud board and I've been using the same one for years. You don't need to treat it with anything at all, all our work benches in the shed are made out of it and they get abused.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Sorry made a mistake its not form ply(smooth on one side) it structural ply.. Mainly want to seal it for easier clean up..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:08 pm

clear coat? i juts picked up some high temp engine clear coat for my still from auto barn, even says its resistant to many chemicals and fuels. bout $15 a can
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Won't handle a saucepan off the stove etc but it'll handle a hot cup of coffee etc. what sort of hot stuff are you thinking?
Id go any old polyurethane product (like estapol) and you can get it in a stain and varnish in one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
image.jpeg

a few products I've got left over from projects.
Any thing like these would be OK. Depends on your application preference. I always like spraying varnish. Gives a better finish and is piss easy compared to a paint brush. But just follow the instructions and you can't go wrong. :laughing-rolling: famous last words, hope I haven't jinxed you :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:30 pm

Like a 20l stainless pot of boiling water and sugar dont think anything hotter than that will touch it
bluc
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:32 pm

WTDist wrote:clear coat? i juts picked up some high temp engine clear coat for my still from auto barn, even says its resistant to many chemicals and fuels. bout $15 a can

That might be the go. Dont think anything will touch it directly and if it did wouldnt be going back into the mix..
bluc
Site Donor

Return to Tips From The Workbench