TIG'ing Copper

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

TIG'ing Copper

Postby frednurk » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:15 am

Folks,

I am just about to start a pot still build out of 2mm copper sheet. Anyone had any experience TIG'ing copper. I have been doing a bit of research and it seems helium is the right gas to use, but I haven't been able to find anyone locally in Adelaide who has ACTUALLY TIG'ed copper. Just wanted to get a few tips and tricks before I have a crack myself.

Thanks in advance.
frednurk

equipment: FSD Modular Pot with Electric Keg Boiler.

Re: TIG'ing Copper

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:28 am

Have a yarn to wood duck. He burnt his rig up with the tig...
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby WTDist » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:34 am

Did Milky use a tig?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:37 am

Yep bender got some tig loving too!
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:02 am

Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:01 pm

Are u gunna make a thumper for it? Then u can do single runs :handgestures-thumbupleft: would save u a lot of time.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby bayshine » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:29 pm

Mate,silver brazing wire will do copper to copper with argon no worries, but I've only had about a 50 percent success rate with copper to copper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby frednurk » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks all. I'll have a yarn to Milky. The welding on Milky looks pretty darn good.

No plans for a thumper at this stage, happy to do two runs. I was hoping to use copper filler, as I didn't want to have a silver weld. All copper goodness :)
frednurk

Postby bayshine » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:41 pm

bayshine wrote:Mate,silver brazing wire will do copper to copper with argon no worries, but I've only had about a 50 percent success rate with copper to copper :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sorry that was spose to say copper to stainless :angry-banghead:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:00 am

G'day Fred,
I had a bit of a play tiggin copper for my thumper build and still need to tig the reducers as the soft solder didn't work as expected. Your more than welcome to come on up for a day and I can show you a few tips and tricks.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Milky » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:34 am

G'day everyone.

When I tig'd bender I did one site glass module just using a sliver offcut of copper from a sheet. Although the weld was "all copper" it was extremely hard to get the heat (amps) sorted to not actually blow holes in it all.

That's why I opted for some cigweld copper filler rods. They are an alloy and have a small amount of silicone in them among some other elements from SS filler rods to allow the pool of molten filler to flow more freely. I'm sorry but I can't remember what the cigweld number of the rods were and I have none left (gave them away) or I would send you some.

I had access to helium for the welding but found argon easier to use, easier for purging to make a sanitary weld etc etc.

If you want an all copper weld, by Al means go for it. But beware that the amount of heat you need to pump into the joint to get it to flow, keep it flowing and also not blow a hole is a bit difficult.

I was also using a big LINCOLN Water cooled TIG with an amp pedal, it is used for precision titanium and stainless welding in my old workshop. A standard tig would still do it but have a few test welds before ripping into the actual product.

And also, thanks for the kind words on build too, cheers!
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby frednurk » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:39 am

Thanks Bayshine, will have to give that a go. In the pot design I was looking at using stainless flanges.

Thanks Bryan, I might just take you up on that offer!

Thanks again Milky for the detailed reply. I have had a chat with BOC and they tell me they have some other filler rods they can get in from the US which aren't silver. Will have to see how much $$$ they want for them. From some of the welding forums I saw some info that Helium meant you didn't need quite so much heat to get started which made things easier, but interested to hear tat you didn't find it easier.
frednurk

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:01 am

G'day Guy's,
Well decided to have a little play with some scrap copper to see how tiggin would go. First tried on 50 amps but no way could I get a puddle going so raised the amps to 90 and as one can see with the birdshit on the lower part of the first welded side that was me NOT fully getting the enamel off the copper wire which inturn put a bit of crap in the pool. :angry-banghead:

This is the first side I tigged and towards the end I did waver with the puddle thats why the weld is so wide.

tigged copper 001.jpg

Other side and the top of the weld had penetration

tigged copper 002.jpg

Me thinks it's time to get on and get my thumper fixed so what better jobbie to do on a sunday while the still gets upto temp doing a full run of 45 litre TPW run in neutraliser mode as I can be bothered changing the still setup. :)) :)) :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby frednurk » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Nice work Bryan! Thanks for trying this out. Nice day here today for a bit of a play in the shed...
frednurk

Return to Tips From The Workbench