Marrying a boiler to a still.

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: Marrying a boiler to a still.

Postby JamieC » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:34 pm

Got to admit. I am kind of sold on this. I could have a 75L keg, 4 inch ferrule with 1 x 3600 + 1 x 2400 and 4 inch to 2 inch reducer. 2 inch running to thumper into a 2 inch port in the top of the keg. 4 inch ferrule out to still column. Thumper will be my existing keg which has a 2200w element in it. This way I can use my existing copper reflux still on the same keg, as well as bubbler, just use the 4 to 2 reducer. Put it all on a trolley so I can move it around as I need. Big thanks to Hillz for putting me onto Trog's post for the idea. I think this will be the go. :text-thankyoublue:
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:12 am

JamieC wrote:
hillzabilly wrote:Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10046 ,if ya have 2 kegs and a welder this could be another option ,I sure as hell wouldnt mind haveing a rig like that.cheers hillzabilly :D

That's a hell of a setup. I do have a third keg that is my current boiler.
Would you run wash or back set in the thumper. Combo of both?

For stripping wash's you could use one keg or load the boiler and thumper with wash thus useing both volumes,for spirit runs you could use just one keg or load the thumper with water or feints or a combo of both,for rum i would load the boiler with wash and load the thumper with a 50-50 ratio of wash and feints ,backset I put into the next generation wash ,that set up allows you to configure for small or large volumes ,with a better than average production speed via the use of the thumper,you could also run chunky fruit wash or all grain wash in the thumper without worry of burning and scorching them with elements or burners ,and just put water in the boiler wich will effectivly give you a steam heated pot still.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:06 pm

I welded a 30 litre keg to an 80 litre keg here's the finished job
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby JamieC » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Starting to get serious about cutting kegs after doing a bit more research. Will be making an 80L boiler running into my existing 50L boiler as a thump keg. 2 questions:-

1. Would it be worthwhile leaving my 2200w element in the keg that will be the thumper to speed up heat times.
2. Is there any advantage in cutting the standard neck of the keg and using a 4inch connection for the bubbler or just use an adaptor up to 4 inch. Was originally thinking 4 inch on both kegs, with the main boiler using a 4 to 2 reducer for the line running into the thumper. then 4 inch on the thumper for the bubbler to connect to.

Thoughts
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:39 pm

I would flip ya kegs ,use the 2inch openings for drains and mount 4inch ferruls on what was the bottom end ,ifn ya do that then your element will have ta be moved any way or could be converted to a thermo port .the older 18gal kegs useually come with a larger opening wich is easy to weld a 4inch ferrule directly to without haveing ta cut up anything.I have never heard of anyone useing an element in the thumper and my guts tell me it could be risky so I would not advise it unless good research shows otherwise,anyhoo cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby JamieC » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:14 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I would flip ya kegs ,use the 2inch openings for drains and mount 4inch ferruls on what was the bottom end ,ifn ya do that then your element will have ta be moved any way or could be converted to a thermo port .the older 18gal kegs useually come with a larger opening wich is easy to weld a 4inch ferrule directly to without haveing ta cut up anything.I have never heard of anyone useing an element in the thumper and my guts tell me it could be risky so I would not advise it unless good research shows otherwise,anyhoo cheers hillzabilly

Thanks man. Might move the element so I can use it as a single boiler If I wish and fit a temp gauge where it was.
Flipping the keg is definitely the go.
Cheers
JamieC

Postby JamieC » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:59 pm

Ok, bit of time off so have started.

Total capacity is 83L with a height of 890mm.

My still is currently positioned under the man hole.
Can anyone tell me the height of the FSD Eliminator. Obviously Mac can, but its xmas eve & I don't reckon he will be at work atm.

JamieC

Postby JamieC » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:00 pm

This will be going onto a 25 x 25mm angle framed trolley with existing 50L still as a thump.
JamieC

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:18 pm

If your still is going to be 3 kegs high before you put the head on there is no way it's going to fit :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby JamieC » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Nah, 1.75 kegs high. Just welded it together and did a capacity check. Came in at 80l to the top, so 70l realistic usable level. Pretty happy really. Just need to get my thump keg sorted.
JamieC

Previous

Return to Boilers & burners.