50lt Keg boiler

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

50lt Keg boiler

Postby Knackerbag » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:28 am

This is to be my first boiler for my first still. After all my reading over the past few months I'm thinking flipping the keg so 2" drain at the bottom, 2x 2"Ferals for hearing elements, a thermo port, a sight glass. In the top I was thinking 4" feral for still mount (will start as a pot still but plan to upgrade in the future) a 3" fill port a pressure relief valve and a pressure gauge. I'm prepared for the onslaught for my planned over complicated boiler just thought as I'm a virgin shiner the more you can see what's going on the more I would learn. :smile:
Knackerbag

equipment: 2" Boka
Bumblebee 4" Bubbler (early stages of production)

Re: 50lt Keg boiler

Postby bayshine » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:29 am

That all sounds good mate,but I would go but I would go 4inch for the fill port as even this is hard to tip a bucket into, and no need for a relief valve as your still will be open to atmosphere anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Cheersbigears » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:46 am

G'Day not sure if you have introduced your self yet and told us a little.
But I have got a 70 Lt boiler with a 4" mount and a 2" fill/sight glass with 2 1" sleeves with 2400 watt elements at 90 to each other. A 1" drain at the bottom this only takes a minute or two to drain 60 Lt, so not sure why some have 2" drains.
A mate wants the same as mine but I'm going to change it a 4" mount and a 4" fill and a 2" sight glass so he does not have to take the glass off all the time and easier to see level and clean. Elements side by side as well not sure why I did it at 90. Still the 1" drain not sure why the pressure relief for as the still should not be blocked.
But I'm only new as well here thats my two cents and I just bought the TIG hand piece to make the boiler. I tried to TIG about 20 years ago not good. some weld are good and some are not the best but it doesn't leak so all good.
not sure how to put a pic on here but there a lot on here to see
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Cheersbigears » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:04 am

Here is the still I opened my eyes a little to worried about bottle changes. Still needs to be cleaned and polished.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheersbigears

Postby Knackerbag » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:21 pm

bayshine wrote:That all sounds good mate,but I would go but I would go 4inch for the fill port as even this is hard to tip a bucket into, and no need for a relief valve as your still will be open to atmosphere anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is that still the case with a bubbler no pressure at all?
Knackerbag

Postby Knackerbag » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Cheersbigears wrote:Here is the still I opened my eyes a little to worried about bottle changes. Still needs to be cleaned and polished.

Nice one big ears how long you been going ? How much spirits are you pulling from a run?
Knackerbag

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:46 pm

You'll get a tiny bit of pressure in a bubbler but nothing that will show up on a pressure gauge.

Definitely go 4" for the still mount, and you can fit a 4" SSG fill port on as well. 2" drain is good, 2 element ports is good.

Make sure you get pics!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby scythe » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:46 pm

At a guess it would be under 10psi, dont know anyone who has measured it tho.

There should be no pressure in a still, they are all open to atmosphere by design and should never be closed, 50L of hot liquid spraying around if a weld splits is a good way to ruin your day.

Reflux should not increase pressure as you are not physically closing the system just condensing all the vapour
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Cheersbigears » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:01 pm

Nice one big ears how long you been going ? How much spirits are you pulling from a run?

I have been doing this for a year and a half now but just upgraded to this system in the last two mouths or so after the waste of money T500 shit its self. As for the output its different all the time as I fill it with different washes from half to close to top and I dont worry about tails but Im starting to collect them for the next runs now. So anywhere for 3lts to close to 5lts have not really done enough in this set up or worry about that. All depends on my cuts after I air for two days.
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Cheersbigears

Postby Knackerbag » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:22 pm

Cheersbigears wrote:

I have been doing this for a year and a half now but just upgraded to this system in the last two mouths or so after the waste of money T500 shit its self. As for the output its different all the time as I fill it with different washes from half to close to top and I dont worry about tails but Im starting to collect them for the next runs now. So anywhere for 3lts to close to 5lts have not really done enough in this set up or worry about that. All depends on my cuts after I air for two days.

You only get 5lt from a 90 lt wash :shock:
Knackerbag

Postby EziTasting » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:35 pm

We built a 50L beer keg into a boiler, 2" into 3/4" drain at the bottom (we didn't flip the keg but kept it up right), two threaded 2400Watt elements (one slightly higher than the other), a 4" mount for the still and a 2" fill port.

Things I would change on a future build:

1.) make the drain at the bottom a straight thru 2";
2.) go to weldless elements (better seal & ease of exchange, ours need to be unbolted and we struggle to get inside to hold the nut - I don't mean to brag, but my arms are bigger than 4" :D );
3.) I would love to do a 10" or 12" ferule at the top (comes with a plate, seal & Tri-clamp) to which I would weld a 4" (or 6" ferrule depending on my future production needs) for the Still. This would also give me plenty of opening for me to reach inside for maintenance purposes AND be a megga fill port;
4.) place 3 evenly spaced 2" viewing ports at the front so I can see whats going on (probably more of a 'fancy' than anything else);
5.) build a mobile base with rollers and mount or bolt the boiler to it but make it big enough to fabricate a box of sorts around the boiler (I feel it would help maintain the boiler temp or at least shield it from the ambient weather and wind)...

Well, thats my wishlist!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Knackerbag » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:36 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:You'll get a tiny bit of pressure in a bubbler but nothing that will show up on a pressure gauge.

Definitely go 4" for the still mount, and you can fit a 4" SSG fill port on as well. 2" drain is good, 2 element ports is good.

Make sure you get pics!

What should the orientation of the element ports be?
Knackerbag

Postby scythe » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:06 pm

Not under your fill port.
Last thing you want is wet electrics.

Low down on the keg so there is no chance they will boil dry during a spirit run.

Side by side if using 2 elements just make sure they dont touch by angling the mounts, and they point straight accross the keg instead of into the middle.

Ezi:
I think you mean welded elements (though the element does not need to be welded itself it needs a fitting welded on to the keg to screw into).
Weldless elements have the retaining nut that needs to be put on from the inside.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Knackerbag » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate you passing on your knowledge and your mistakes
Knackerbag

Postby EziTasting » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:58 pm

scythe wrote:Ezi:
I think you mean welded elements (though the element does not need to be welded itself it needs a fitting welded on to the keg to screw into).
Weldless elements have the retaining nut that needs to be put on from the inside.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: yip, spot-on!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Darwin award » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:12 pm

4" fill definitely, just be aware if you do flip the keg, you may not have room for the element guards beween the base of the still and the first bellyband on the Keg. I have a fairly short keg and encountered that problem, the skinnier ones it doesnt matter, just test it out first.
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Knackerbag » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:17 pm

Darwin award wrote:4" fill definitely, just be aware if you do flip the keg, you may not have room for the element guards beween the base of the still and the first bellyband on the Keg. I have a fairly short keg and encountered that problem, the skinnier ones it doesnt matter, just test it out first.

Ok cheers I'll check it out.
Knackerbag

Postby Knackerbag » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:40 pm

Can you guys tell me if I can get a thermometer that fits 1.5inch ferrule?

Also do the 3600w heating elements fit a 2 inch ferrule?

Thanks
Knackerbag

Postby copper1979 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:43 am

Yes, you can get up to 5.5kw type elements in 1.5" and 2" triclamp ferrule sizes.

Thermometer wise, could always tap a thread into a 1.5" triclamp blank as a solution.
Last edited by copper1979 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
copper1979

equipment: 70L Pot Still, 50L 4" Gin Still, 4" Flute Build underway

Postby copper1979 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:49 am

Cheersbigears wrote:

Just for info, the T500 boilers have two points for failure, one is a temperature thermostat (thinks its around 115 deg) and also a Fuse. I had both of mine go at different times. You can get access to them thru the plastic base.
copper1979

equipment: 70L Pot Still, 50L 4" Gin Still, 4" Flute Build underway

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.