weld less elements any ideas on the bushing

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

weld less elements any ideas on the bushing

Postby maheel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 pm

my no weld element just died... (craftbrewer might replace under warranty)

but has anyone got any ways to use a screw in element without welding on a bush with thread ?
i can go to 3600W as i have a dedicated 15amp line and use my psr to dial it back once boiling

or should i bite the bullet and have one welded in...
maheel

Re: weld less elements any ideas on the bushing

Postby olddog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:59 pm

The type of element I use is a 2400w backup element from a Solarhart solar water heater, they are available in 2400w and 3600w, but as I am on a 10 amp circuit 2400 is the max for me.
The element has a plate with 4 bolt holes. I cut the circular hole for the element in the keg, and drilled the 4 holes to bolt it on, you can fit the bolts through the element hole. I used a SS washer and a cork washer on the inside, and 3 layers of cork on the outside made into a gasket shape for the square plate fitting. If you get the bolts a bit longer than normal, once you get the nut on, you can grip the thread with a vice grip to tighten really tight, as at this stage you will not be able to get a spanner on the head of the bolt inside of the keg. I tighten up all four bolts and really compress the cork. I have done two kegs like this, and have had no leaks.

OD
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby maheel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:13 pm

yeah thanks old dog thats a good option

do you no if your elements are high or low density and Stainless / nickel or copper etc ?

as after i typed this i was thinking if i was to try to go weldless whatever bush / nuts i use has to fit down the hole in the keg :doh: :laughing-rolling:

so it has to be "small" (have to measure it)

going for a drive to craftbrewer and have a chat to see if they will replace it's under 12 months old. not to worried if i have to buy a new one as it's paid it's way but dont want to continually be replacing them as they are a drama to get in and out.

i was lucky to just be able to drain the keg into another and fire it on gas this morning and keep the run going
maheel

Postby maheel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:12 pm

craft-brewer replaced the element no questions asked :)

but i think i will have a look at some other options as i would like to increase to 3600w for faster heat up on a full keg
maheel

Postby 8-ball » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:00 pm

olddog wrote:The type of element I use is a 2400w backup element from a Solarhart solar water heater, they are available in 2400w and 3600w, but as I am on a 10 amp circuit 2400 is the max for me.
The element has a plate with 4 bolt holes. I cut the circular hole for the element in the keg, and drilled the 4 holes to bolt it on, you can fit the bolts through the element hole. I used a SS washer and a cork washer on the inside, and 3 layers of cork on the outside made into a gasket shape for the square plate fitting. If you get the bolts a bit longer than normal, once you get the nut on, you can grip the thread with a vice grip to tighten really tight, as at this stage you will not be able to get a spanner on the head of the bolt inside of the keg. I tighten up all four bolts and really compress the cork. I have done two kegs like this, and have had no leaks.

OD

do you still use the rubber washer thats around the element at the base, also what type of cork and where do i buy some

thanks olddog
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby maheel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:21 pm

8-ball wrote:
olddog wrote:The type of element I use is a 2400w backup element from a Solarhart solar water heater, they are available in 2400w and 3600w, but as I am on a 10 amp circuit 2400 is the max for me.

OD

do you still use the rubber washer thats around the element at the base, also what type of cork and where do i buy some

thanks olddog

silicone baking sheets might be the go ?
maheel

Postby 8-ball » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 pm

i might look into that

i have a 3600w and a 2400w element just sitting here waiting to go in a boiler and i just couldn't be bothered buying threaded elements to make it easier
8-ball

Postby olddog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Just get some musical cork from a musical instrument shop, the use it for saxaphones and clarinet mouthpieces, 1/8"thick or thicker is best.

BTW I remove the black rubber seal. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

OD
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby 8-ball » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:50 am

cheers olddog :handgestures-thumbupleft:
8-ball

Return to Boilers & burners.