Burnt flavour

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Burnt flavour

Postby EziTasting » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:43 pm

G'Day all, I'm starting to think that I've got an unwanted burnt flavour in our distillates... :think:

It seems to go back to when we had a go at the Appalachian Moonshine (I'm not blaming the recipe but our foolishness) ...

Has anyone ever had this? How did you overcome this? Tried the old soak it in Coke trick... looking st the elements they look tarnished but nothing is obvious (as yet) to me...

Hoping someone has some wisdoms for me... don't feel like throwing out the boiler ( :angry-banghead: yer not doing that!) and starting again...

We did overheat the top element once (flower orange) - that was a stuffup right at the beginning...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Re: Burnt flavour

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Perhaps overheating the element has "flavoured" it :think: all i can think of is change that element. Still no good look at different type of element. Are they ulwd (ultra low watt density) elements?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:24 pm

bluc wrote:Perhaps overheating the element has "flavoured" it :think: all i can think of is change that element. Still no good look at different type of element. Are they ulwd (ultra low watt density) elements?

I know you're talking to me but I just don't understand!! :wtf:

Got them from FSD, the ones with the nut at the back (can never recal if they're the welded or weldless - certainly didn't weld them in!)...
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:36 pm

From 5star than yes they would be ulwd. Ok so do they attach to a tri clamp ferrule or are they fitted straight through a hole and held in place with a nut?

If attached to a ferrule remove it put on a blanking cap and try with one element see if it affects taste.. :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:20 pm

bluc wrote:From 5star than yes they would be ulwd.[/quite] Nice! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bluc wrote: ... they fitted straight through a hole and held in place with a nut?

Ding ding ding $5 :handgestures-thumbupleft: lol, so the removal option isn't possible without the assistance of a sparky. My mate (did the original wire-up) isn't available currently...

Bugburner (my partner-in crime) doesn't taste it, so, either I'm nucken futs, or have a more discerning taste?!? :D

... googling it I found this, not quite the same but I'm currently testing it on our mash tuns as their elements have a similar looking stain, albeit less.

Edit: looking at the water in the mash tun now, it's no longer clear but dirty and smudgy... :shifty: let's hope I haven't introduced something else to the situation... :angry-banghead:
EziTasting

Postby Peregian » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Never had this sort of problem with a boiler but maybe try a strong vinegar wash and run it hard.

That's about all I could come up with.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Return to Boilers & burners.