80 ltr, 6000w Boiler Project

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:21 pm

I am building myself a new 80 litre boiler that's got 6000w shuved up its arse, via a 2400w & a 3600w elements :lol: ,with a controller to keep a steady eye on things,
I thought I might share the build with you lot. :-D
this build is basically 3 parallel builds at the same time , so progress is very slow and is probably going to take a while to complete, so be patient with me OK
the first part of the build , or the part that has soaked up a lot of the time so far is the controller, It loosely based on Swede's controller
I owe a few favours to the electronics tecky that lives down the road now, who has kept me on the straight and narrow and kept this controller safe, Coz I'm a bit of a petrol head , I get a bit carried away sometimes and thought someone with a big stick close would be handy :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
here's the wiring diagram for it ( I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN AND THIS IS A CONCEPT THAT IS NOT PROVEN AND AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT OTHERS DO WITH THIS INFORMATION)
Enjoy the ride 8-)
There is a 12 v computer fan running of the 12v PSU that has been added after scanning it in
this all goes into a gutted computer frame
once I had all the switch gear I set to working out where everything had to go and mount it in
the pencil line above the switches is where I'm scalpin' the box

To Be Cont.
cheers
Last edited by stubbydrainer on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Re: 80 ltr, 6000w Boiler Project

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Another parralel line to this build is the boiler itself, Its based on the ol'18 gal keg, so 60 ltr wash's no probs

I got the keg a while back and now it time to tinker with it, I got the grinder with a cutting disc on ot and cut the handles off, I don't want them on there, coz where it going to end up is the other parralel part of this build , don't worry I'll get to that later :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: . Basically its just insulating the keg, and a tablely thingo :? , but it'll be at the end.
once the handles where gone, the 9" hole was marked out and then taken out with a grinder , I got an old belted up 50 ltr keg and cut the arse out the same way but this is 300mm dia, and a 100mm hole in it for the connector
The convex shape of the 2 kegs is so close to being the same it going to make sealing this top easy, especially with the 4mm silicon sheet/gasket that twat face so kindly gave me, thx BD :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ( when ya name changes again v.idiot,cupcake,passion fingers , I'll up date it here :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: )

to be continued

Cheers
Last edited by stubbydrainer on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:21 pm

a few more pic's of the controller layout
I can take all the switchs and stuff out of the box now and cut it down, make a lid for it give it a paint job, put it all back together again and set to wiring it up. :dance: :dance: :?
back soon

cheers
stubbydrainer

Postby MacStill » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Looks awesome Draino, I'll be following this thread with interest :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Rumdrinker » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Awesome stuff SD, just as I'm about to start piecing together a twin element, adjustable boiler you start this thread. And all to great detail as well so no confusion at all, top job mate & very much appreciated.
I too will be closely following this thread.
Cheers
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby Panda » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:32 pm

I would recommend separating the 3 relays as much as possible. How they are now they will absorb each others heat and struggle to dissipate heat, drastically reducing their lifespan. Especially the middle one.
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby Modernity » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:39 pm

I agree with Panda. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You could how ever place a aluminium plate as a divider between them and direct your fan to move the airflow up and instead of across the top of all three. An easy fix?
my two cents worth :teasing-tease:
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:40 pm

for all you worried electricians out there, I had an electrician sort out what was needed to connect this project to the shed welders 35 amp circuit, The controller is hard wired into this circuit. So everything is to "standard" and above board
stubbydrainer

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks Panda n Mod ,
I'll take that on board and remedy if you think theres gunna be a heat problem , I wanna nip it in the bud now ! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stubbydrainer

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:01 pm

this is the 3rd and last parallel bit to this build

The keg insulation and tabley gadgetty thingo
First grab yaself an ol'beer barrel, big enough so it can be dismantled and rebuilt with a 18 gall ss keg inside it :pray: :pray: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Knock a band of it , grab the belt sander and give it a bit of curry

I wanted to know what the wood grain was like , beautiful :dance:

to be continued

cheers
stubbydrainer

Postby MacStill » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Hmmmmm :think:

Being that it's in a computer box, I wonder if Stig could build these for us..... in his spare time :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:39 pm

well Mac,
he is good with computers ah !, I spoze we will see how good, wadda ya reckon he'd say if someone asked? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

Postby MacStill » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:43 pm

With his work load right now I know exactly what he'd say ;-) ;-)

Doesnt mean winding him up would be any less fun though :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Modernity » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:38 am

Just as a matter of interest?

What would the power usage cost of 6000 watts of heating element be over the whole 80ltr run? :think:
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby maheel » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Modernity wrote:Just as a matter of interest?

What would the power usage cost of 6000 watts of heating element be over the whole 80ltr run? :think:

@ 23 cents per KWH it's going to cost $1.38 (per hour) (6 x .23) to run the boiler
plus maybe 10 cents and hour for the a pump ? (depends on watts)

23 cents per KWH is what i pay
maheel

Postby Panda » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Was going to post about $1.20 to $1.40 per hour. Maheel beat me to it
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby eminiM » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:27 pm

maheel wrote:
Modernity wrote:Just as a matter of interest?

@ 23 cents per KWH it's going to cost $1.38 (per hour) (6 x .23) to run the boiler
plus maybe 10 cents and hour for the a pump ? (depends on watts)

23 cents per KWH is what i pay

Dang, we were put on "Time of use" billing in November to try and level out consumption and reduce peak periods. Our highest cost period is 12.8 cents per KWH. Lowest is 7 cents and I was outraged when they introduced it. Lots of hydro generation where I am. In fact our local utility has an over abundance of generating capacity and exports to the grid.
To add insult to injury my brother just installed 10KW of solar panels on his roof. The utilities have agreed to pay 82 cents per KWH for energy added to the grid from solar power. Can imagine my utility bills will be increased to cover his subsidized ass.

GuessI'mGettin'ABargainEminiM
eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby Kimbo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Sounds like someone's gunna be runnin their 6kw boiler at midnight- off peak :angry-banghead:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:29 pm

The way I planned it is both the 3600w & the 2400w elements are used to bring the wash to temp, the 2400w element will be turned off ( and not come back on at all for the rest of the run) )at a preset temp. via the alarm circuit in the PID, it will only run the 3600w element holding the preset temp. automatically from that point on, then I have the option of running it manually from the PWM circuit in the controller. thats the plan anyway :geek: .....it ain't goin yet :? :? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 pm

here is an update on the controller for the interested,
after pulling it all to bits again, cutting the box down to size, making a lid and reinforcing the bottom with a piece of 1.2mm sheet steel, giving it a sand down and a few coats of paint, then re-installing the switch gear, it was time for joining all the bits together with copper wire,
I asked a few questions about a few details in the wiring and the electronics tech.( that lives up the road ) came for a visit and gave me a hand to wire the box and to change out a capacitor on the PWM circuit board to reduce the SSR used in that function from overheating. As advised by Swede ( thanks Swede for your assistance, you have been a champion :handgestures-thumbupleft: )
this is what it looks like at the moment :shock: :shock: :? :?

It has all been tested and works as per the plan ;-)

to give you a run down of the front panel :geek:
starting from the top left
red light indicating that power is on at the wall isolator, a big red emergency shutdown button, red light that indicates the controller is switched on ( via big red "panic " button ), PWM control, ( a type of throttle controlfor the 3600w element, for the uninitiated :laughing-rolling: ) and last on the top is the 2400w manual override/ on-off switch
bottom from left
P.I.D controller for 3600w element heat up/automatic temp holding and alarm function ( used to turn off 2400w element once a preset temp is reached ( it doesn't come back on ), next is the, PID control (auto) - off - PWM control selector , a green light indicating 3600w element on/off, green light indicating 2400w element on/off
below the PID are the temp sensor terminals, the power outlets for each element,green lights and switches above them are all lined up vertically ( fuck.... I think thats right :think: , If its wrong can someone let me know :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: )

All I have to do now to complete the controller is zip tie up all the wiring to make it all neat and tidy !
now I have to turn my attention to the boiler itself ( when time allows :angry-banghead: )
to be continued

cheers
Last edited by stubbydrainer on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stubbydrainer

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.