Keg drain and refill port

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi all. I finaly got my drain installed, loosley based on Olddog's mods. While there, I added a refil port, This has proved to be the best thing I have done for myself, except for making the flute itself. I got sick of doing the old hot boiler dance trying to recover backset, now its easy, and a whole lot safer. Fill port was added so I didn't have to pull the still off just to refill. I still need a funnel, as I found with the first pour. Not so bad if the 20 litre buckets I use are only 2/3 full. I use a few marbles so I had to stop them plugging the drain. The M3 bolt did a good job, and it helps shut the marble rattle up too.
I had the idea to run the drain through the centre of the burner a while ago, but I had doubts as to weather it would be wise or not. Well' I still doubt the wisdom of it, but thats offset by the conveinience.
Burner support was/is the next problem. It's supported on the burner end by a hose clamp, the other end is sitting on a bit of SS box. I had to leave it short to get the burner in and out.
The legs and supports are only heavily tacked and nothing has been capped at this stage untill I know I'm happy with it. I'm thinking of leaving the legs uncapped, from a hygine point of veiw. I can poke the hose down them every so often, give em a flush.
I'm not real happy about the burner support, anyone got any ideas?
I know its not the first time this has been done, so if anyone can see how I can improve it, chime in!
Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Re: Keg drain and refill port

Postby Kimbo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Looks ok to me EG. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
run it past me again what the marbles do?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:42 pm

They are just boil balls. Probably a hangover from the pot still, I'm just in the habbit of using them.
They did used to help with the pot, not sure if they are really useful with a flute.
emptyglass

Postby Kimbo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Fair enough, looks the goods mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby emptyglass » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks kimbo.
I still havn't worked out site upload limits, I didn't want to loose my post, so these are seperate.

The thermo usually sits loose on the top of the boiler, thinking of tapping a hole in the thick 4" cap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Postby Rockchucker22 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:55 am

Dude you and I see eye to eye! I'll post pics of my boiler mod too!
Rockchucker22

equipment: 4" plater 4" pot 4" thump tower

Postby Rockchucker22 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:22 pm

4" Column connection, 3" fill port, drain on the left.
Rockchucker22

equipment: 4" plater 4" pot 4" thump tower

Postby SBB » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:48 pm

EG......is that a BD747 modification on the 3 ring burner.........if so i like the idea :D
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby maheel » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:53 pm

SBB wrote:EG......is that a BD747 modification on the 3 ring burner.........if so i like the idea :D

i think the drain goes right through it ?
maheel

Postby emptyglass » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:23 pm

No, its just a standard low quality indian made 3 ring burner. Maheel guseed it right.

I didn't have to take much out of the centre hole, just make it parralell really. I was a bit worried about the heat causing issues with the pipe coming through, but it dosn't seem to cause any issues, at least so far.

It's cut my batch time down by half an hour I reckon. Nothing to do with the distilling time, just all the other crap.

Clean up now consists of dropping the dunder, quick rinse with some water, close drain valve, add 2 litres water, boil for 5 mins, collect 1/2 cup of condensate, drop water. Place 4" computer fan on fill port and run for 12 hours to dry it out. It seems to be cleaning it up well enough and a damn sight easier than my old procedure.

Only disadvantage so far, is now I have to stand on bricks to see the top plate. I can see the bottom of the deflag easier, not that you need to.

Nice looking still Rock.
emptyglass

Postby squid » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:57 am

I've been thinking of adding a tap to drain the boiler, how do the seals handle high powered lpg flames? I'm a bit worried they might melt and cause some off flavours.
squid

equipment: 2" 50L potstill

Postby bluenova » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:02 am

EG.......what type of solder & ect. did you use on that big-0 ferrule?
bluenova

equipment: pot

Postby Sam. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:10 am

Squid my gas tape hasn't melted yet
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342138454.761681.jpg
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:16 am

Dude that's what I call a pretty good endorsement for thread tape :-o
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 am

Its military aircraft spec oxygen tape. Don't know if the normal plumbing gear is the same
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby squid » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:05 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Squid my gas tape hasn't melted yet
That's some hardcore tape. Looks like I was worried over nothing.
squid

equipment: 2" 50L potstill

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:07 pm

I've got normal thread tape on my boiler drain and am using the 747 :handgestures-thumbupleft: and no probs
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby emptyglass » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:16 pm

bluenova wrote:EG.......what type of solder & ect. did you use on that big-0 ferrule?

I guess you are meaning the fill port?

If so, it's TIG welded. It uses a triclamp teflon gasket. The ones with the ridges on both sides.
emptyglass

Postby bluenova » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 am

Yes, that would be the one. Thank you for the info.
bluenova

equipment: pot

Return to Boilers & burners.