ULWD elements... how to earth?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

ULWD elements... how to earth?

Postby sloth » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 pm

howdy all, i bought 2 elements from 5star got the sockets welded onto the keg... and now i cant get a sparkie for love or money.

a sparkie looked at them for me and said i need an earth on them... how have others done this?

any advice appreciated, cheers guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sloth

equipment: Boka style combo reflux and pot still made by Damian Horwarth

Re: ULWD elements... how to earth?

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:36 pm

Earth usably goes on the metal parts that you could touch and probably need earth leakage as element has high capacity fuse and could kill before it trips the breaker.
wynnum1

Postby chipboy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 pm

Weld a small bolt onto the keg and earth to that. The RCD is recommended to protect you as well.

Trick is to bring the earth out and seal up the fitting. I wrapped mine in amalgamating tape and super glued a plastic cylinder to the fitting, it should handle it.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:47 pm

totally need rcd in meter box. Earth lead off boiler and element metal xover. Dont relay on liquid in boiler connecting the earth. Obviosuly dont connect live or neutral to earth :handgestures-thumbupleft: hook it up then get it checked if you cant get sparky to do it...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:18 pm

chipboy wrote:Weld a small bolt onto the keg and earth to that.

What did I tell ya this eve slothy :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling: :happy-partydance:
You haven’t got a pic to inspire have you chippy ??
Last edited by The Stig on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby chipboy » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:36 pm

I suppose I can do that for you, so here it is.

earth 2mp.jpg

I would recommend clamping the lugs onto a surface other than the keg its self so a nut and washer for flat mating, also a larger bolt would bet better this is what I had available, m4.

RCD definately (or earth leakage device in other peoples terminology) which makes sense for any power circuit, not only for this hobby.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chipboy on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chipboy

Postby clintonb » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:04 pm

You could just nut and bolt it to the chime if you are using a keg rather than welding on a nut. You would just need to check continuity of earth circuit. As is always the advice get it checked by an electrician :law-policered: .
clintonb

equipment: 118L SS boiler with a copper 4 Inch, 8 bubble plated column and a 650mm packed section complete with a carterhead and gin basket.
35L SS boiler with a copper 2 Inch pelican pot and gin basket.

Postby sloth » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:33 pm

ok so heres what i got up to today. first time trying anything electrical lol, hows my work look? safe?
sloth

equipment: Boka style combo reflux and pot still made by Damian Horwarth

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:41 pm

Being off the grid I just use the big green sheds bottles and I get atleast 3 runs out of a bottle, now using elements how does this compare with a long run using the grid ?. I don't know as I've been off the grid for close to 20 years but using bottled gas seems to me the best option.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:06 pm

sloth wrote:ok so heres what i got up to today. first time trying anything electrical lol, hows my work look? safe?

If we dont hear from you for a couple of days we will assume its no good :laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener:

Bryan1 wrote:Being off the grid

Lets play "off grid" - how may times can 1 person say "off grid" in 1 sentence?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby chipboy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:46 pm

sloth wrote:ok so heres what i got up to today. first time trying anything electrical lol, hows my work look? safe?

Looks acceptable to me, as long as the silicone is covering all connections very well made all the safer with the plug cover and to a nice solid bolt. I do hope you have ELCB/RCD in the house / building / shed.
chipboy

Postby chipboy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:49 pm

Bryan1 wrote:Being off the grid I just use the big green sheds bottles and I get atleast 3 runs out of a bottle, now using elements how does this compare with a long run using the grid ?. I don't know as I've been off the grid for close to 20 years but using bottled gas seems to me the best option.
Cheers Bryan

The sad answer is the grid is greener, you being off grid make a lot of CO2 using gas! How much solar do you have, alternatively add 2.4Kw of panels and wire to the element, distilling is now a sunlight only experience.
chipboy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:49 pm

The Stig wrote:

If we dont hear from you for a couple of days we will assume its no good :laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener:

Bryan1 wrote:Being off the grid

Lets play "off grid" - how may times can 1 person say "off grid" in 1 sentence?

Ok Stig lets play out how many power bills you have paid since '03 :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Lowie » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:35 pm

No. That is not safe. dodgey as! Look up Mac's thread where he shows you how to make a SAFE element guard. If you don't reply to this I will assume you are dead. :laughing-rolling:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby warramungas » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:09 am

Im guilty of doing my own wiring from time to time (if its an easy job) but tgat does look a little dodgy. Also silcone doesnt usually set in a sealed environment so it may be wet and 'mooshy' inside the plug itself. Also, i have the same element and it can get quite hot.
I recommend getting the elementgaurd from 5 star simply because i use them anf theyre great.
Also, electricians dont get it right everytime.0.75 mm2 cable for 15 amp element anyone? Wondered why itused to get so hot. Only figured that one out as i was sorting out charger cables for my ev. Had to upgrade them both and the gaurds made it a piece of the proverbial.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:50 pm

think 15a is 2.5 ??
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:35 am

Heating element has another problem with being use for extended time the insulation on the wiring can also get hot from the element and from the current and deteriorate so do not use low quality wire.
wynnum1

Postby warramungas » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm

bluc wrote:think 15a is 2.5 ??

15 amp extension leads seem to be 1.5 but considering the extended use the elements (and how hot) get i used 2.5 and 1.5 respectively.. still waiting to test them out.
PITA trying to fit the 2.5 into a 15 amp plug.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Boilers & burners.