Wooden Boiler Plan. I'm Going To Do It. Maybe.

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Wooden Boiler Plan. I'm Going To Do It. Maybe.

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 9:43 pm

serious Question : using electric elements is there any reason I couldn't have a wooden boiler I've been thinking about it for quite awhile now but haven't been game to ask
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: 80 ltr, 6000w Boiler Project

Postby Kimbo » Wed May 23, 2012 9:47 pm

I've never tried it but i recon it would be prone to leaking and hard to clean ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed May 23, 2012 9:50 pm

thats a good question CE, dunno the answer , but a fukin good question :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Seriously.... a couple of things jump to mind straight away , so I havent really thought this out :shifty:
I reckon wood would work at first glance.....but I think resins and tannins could come out in the boil and taint the end product somehow maybe :? :?
and leaks could be an issue :think:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Just thinking I could have big hole cut in the lid with a removable plate/ block or remove the lid all together , mostly anyway and fit a domed copper lid (have one)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Oh yeah it would have to be an old used up barrel but think of the insulating qualities Yeah I'm not sure leaks would be as the warming wash would swell the timber so tight , much tighter than normal
crow

Postby SBB » Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Crow Ive seen some stuff in my net travells that indicates that it is possible...........and that infact some early stills where made that way....from memory most had a copper sheath on the bottom or inside...........cant quite remember now.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Distortion from being over tensioned might be a bigger issue
crow

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 10:01 pm

You know what , until someone convinces me I can't this is gona stay as a fart in my head fuck it I reckon I'll have a go at it
crow

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 pm

thinking about this just imagine I'm doing rum in this month after month . I think the flavors I will achieve after say a yr will be dead set astonishing
Last edited by crow on Wed May 23, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 10:06 pm

and I think I can do this for 2 and fuck pence as well the only out lay will be the barrel
crow

Postby Rumdrinker » Wed May 23, 2012 10:38 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Farken hell Crow, I want some of what you're drinkin :clap: :clap:
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby MacStill » Wed May 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Rumdrinker wrote::laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Farken hell Crow, I want some of what you're drinkin :clap: :clap:

I bet it aint distilled, gotta be tablet form :D :teasing-neener: :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Wed May 23, 2012 11:02 pm

Hardy ha Just wrote it as i thought it not always a good idea but least ppl can see just how my ideas formulate as they formulate . anyway i still think this idea has some merit and is worthy of some investigation
crow

Postby Frank » Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 pm

croweater wrote:You know what , until someone convinces me I can't this is gona stay as a fart in my head fuck it I reckon I'll have a go at it

S&L could you please provide a translation for us... :laughing-rolling:

Stubbydrainer, yet again, your way of thinking 'on the outside' and how it translates seemingly directly to your hand skills is a truly commendable thing IMHO :clap:
how long do you reckonthe 6000w will take to bring up the temp to 'as required'???
Frank

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 12:13 am

Frank wrote:
croweater wrote:You know what , until someone convinces me I can't this is gona stay as a fart in my head fuck it I reckon I'll have a go at it

S&L could you please provide a translation for us..

English Translation : I am convinced that a wooden boiler is not only achievable but may well provide benefits no other method could and I will most likely continue to formulate a method for converting a barrel for this expressed purpose until or unless some one gives me a convincing reason why this idea is unsound . Dash the draw backs and foreseeable difficulties , I am of the opinion that I should at the earliest convenience commence construction of the said boiling unit
crow

Postby crow » Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 am

Ok spent all night researching this and guess what I found , Jack all , well not quite but next to it . There are a few old commercial Rum distilleries that produce dark naval rums with wooden boilers . Seems a few ppl have built wooden thumpers but not one single person seems to have built a wooden boiler for a non commercial application and the few who discussed it seen to be stuck on how to heat it :roll: . everything from steam pipes to copper bottoms , hot water coils ect ect and I can't find one mention of electrical elements :doh: . Am I missing something or is that weird . Anyway walking the opposite direction to everyone else isn't new to me so I still think this is a really cool idea . in the next few days I'm going to see just how affordable and feasible this really is
crow

Re: Wooden Boiler Plan. I'm Going To Do It No Matter What

Postby YHB » Thu May 24, 2012 5:50 am

This Japanese one appears to be steam heated.

http://www.shochucircle.com/distillation.html

There are lots of barrels used as Hot Tubs that do not appear to have a problem with leaks.
YHB

equipment: 2" BOK with bolted slant plates and a homemade needle valve, sitting on a wooden boiler

Postby audistiller » Thu May 24, 2012 5:57 am

While I don't doubt your enthusiasm, I am also quite enthusiastic in many ways, however I cant see what reason anyone would pursue an idea to make a wooden boiler. As mentioned previously it would be very difficult to clean, and I would think your opening yourself up to possible infections for a start.

Since you seem to have access to a fair few resources, why don't you start making a boiler the same as YHB has, the wooden barrel type design with a stainless insert, that's where I would be heading if I was in your position. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1353
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby bt1 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:22 am

Reckon you should have a crack if for no other reason it will proof or fail the concept.

+1 au, cleaning would be a problem especially as timber would take several days to dry out, in the cold weather great bacteria mould starter I reckon.

Need a removal top so you could place over a burner ring to slowly heat/dry out to prevent issues.

It would adsorb a bit of wash initially so it would ever be just a single wash type also.

Boiled timber...don't think the flavour profile is a great fit

hey good luck let us know the outcomes

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Rockchucker22 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:01 am

In all seriousness I have toyed with the idea of a white oak column, 3 plate whisky machine, why not( other than the obvious already pointed out)? Simple easy and cheaper, still need copper condensor, copper plates. Maybe a glass condensor.
Rockchucker22

equipment: 4" plater 4" pot 4" thump tower

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.