Kegs Vic

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Kegs Vic

Postby ChefRo » Mon May 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Not sure if i have posted this in the right area, but i have alot of kegs at my disposal ( Aprox 50 +). Any one willing to knock me up a boiler out of one of these can have a few for them selves. otherwise it will be off to the scrap metal yard or the shed to make spits, furniture, crab cookers ect.
ChefRo

equipment: 50l 2inch pot
90l S/S Bubbler
power controller
running out of bells and whistles to get

Re: Kegs Vic

Postby Brendan » Mon May 28, 2012 7:28 pm

ChefRo wrote: otherwise it will be off to the scrap metal yard

Kev, language of this nature is not tolerated on this forum :naughty:

:))
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby ChefRo » Mon May 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Brendan wrote:
ChefRo wrote: otherwise it will be off to the scrap metal yard

Kev, language of this nature is not tolerated on this forum :naughty:

:))

Unless you guys think it is worth me taking 50+ kegs home and putting up with the minister of war and finances complaints. i have the room for them, the only problem would be getting rid of them. i will only need one boiler and maybe 4 for storage. If only i had the time.
ChefRo

90l S/S Bubbler
power controller

Postby crow » Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 pm

offer them up in for sale on here if ya only want scrap value reckon they'll go pretty fast as in lightening fast :handgestures-thumbupleft: PS if any are 18 gal I reckon I'd find a home for them straight away ;-) :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby ChefRo » Mon May 28, 2012 8:10 pm

the idea to hopefully have some one set one up for me and then take a few for them selves. I dont have much spare time on my hands. I dont even know what the value of them would be but i will grab a shit load of them when i get back home and offer a few up on here. I am a chef by trade not a plumer, so even setting up one for my self would be an unwanted hassle. Bit if there is a market for them i Will put them up for sale on here in a few day. New to this forum so not sure on the rules of selling. There is both sorts (Tall / fat) They are all 50 l kegs, so no big ones.
How hard world it be to cut the top off one and join another one to it to get approx 80 ish l ?? sure its been done before. I Could see it being a bit of trouble, but hey i struggle to walk straight let alone weld straight.
ChefRo

90l S/S Bubbler
power controller

Postby Frank » Mon May 28, 2012 8:25 pm

ChefRo wrote:..... Any one willing to knock me up a boiler out of one of these can have a few for them selves. otherwise it will be off to the scrap metal yard or the shed to make spits, furniture, crab cookers ect.

Mate, if you can take the bung and tap bit out of the sealed end ( and there's plenty of info on how to do that all over the interweb plus willing helpers here just ask :oops: ) then there's ya boiler, ready for a clean and, probably, a triclamped or easy flanged still....
......point is, if you can also take a bit of a hit holding 'all the others', there's a fair few folk here wanting one or several (I think) so....
could you give us a clue what type/size/condition/number they are please and (maybe) this thread can end up in 'for sale' or something :think: .

edit: sorry mate, you have answered some of this above, my bad re timing, but.....
Frank

Postby crow » Mon May 28, 2012 8:48 pm

yeah pitty you are the other side of that great shit hole called melbourne , I hate driving through it . There is most likely guys over your way that could do it other wise on here somewhere is a thread for a no weld element fit . 2 CUB's together yeah be thinking of that myself , some dude on ebay had 2 with the tops cut out for sale , now if one had the bottom cut out yes I think I would have had a shot at it as welding is something I can do ok ( built a whole steel framed nursing home once every joint welded )
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby ChefRo » Mon May 28, 2012 8:54 pm

well the girl just approved me to take home 100 kegs from work. (The beer companys have been given alot of notice to come pick them up and some have refused. Thats legally obtained right???) I will be getting back form holidays in a day or so. I will post pics and put alot of them up for sale/ donate them to the nice people.
Is there much price difference in running a gas boiler to an electric???
at Crow eater - if you wanted to try i am sure i can fill the yarris with kegs and go for a drive and drop them off in the near future. one for you. one for me. Might be a market for them.

Or even think 3 fat cub kegs welded together. 140l boiler???? bit of over kill i know but bigger is better 8-} 8-}
ChefRo

90l S/S Bubbler
power controller

Postby crow » Mon May 28, 2012 9:10 pm

yeah bloody oath mate I'll give it a go . I haven't tried welding stainless yet but Don , Draino and SBB reckon it easier than mild steel so shouldn't be a problem then . Anyway just to be on the safe side I've got a sheet metal engineer mate that I do all the carpentry for , I'll go and see him in the next couple of days if you like and get him to show me where to set the amps and all that and let you know how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft: . He's over at Newlyn so not that big a drive from here
crow

Postby MacStill » Mon May 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Why not make a plated column out of them, CC would :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Mon May 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Right o $1000 bucks just for the plates alone :whistle: be a beutie though
crow

Postby ChefRo » Mon May 28, 2012 9:21 pm

croweater wrote:yeah bloody oath mate I'll give it a go . I haven't tried welding stainless yet but Don , Draino and SBB reckon it easier than mild steel so shouldn't be a problem then . Anyway just to be on the safe side I've got a sheet metal engineer mate that I do all the carpentry for , I'll go and see him in the next couple of days if you like and get him to show me where to set the amps and all that and let you know how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft: . He's over at Newlyn so not that big a drive from here

Sound like a plan, just let me know and i will try to organize a day off work to run them up to you, how much of a drive are you from melbourne central, just so i have a rough idea. i could con a mate with a ute to drive them up then u could make a couple and make your self some xtra coin.....

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
ChefRo

90l S/S Bubbler
power controller

Postby crow » Mon May 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Well depends on traffic , say 45 min. from the sunshine exit so an hr if ya lucky or if ya like me 2 , I always seem to just catch the peak hr :sad: . Ya may as well say the same distance out as Ballarat if that helps
crow

Postby ChefRo » Mon May 28, 2012 9:33 pm

sweet too easy dont know why i asked, long drives dont really bother me. how many do you want me to bring up for ya??? seeing you knocking one up for me i will just fill the car, sure u could find a use for the kegs... 8-} 8-}
ChefRo

90l S/S Bubbler
power controller

Postby crow » Mon May 28, 2012 10:25 pm

I'll go through some threads on here and see if I can find what elements are going to work best as realistically these things should hold somewhere around 85 to 90 ltrs finished , more or less
crow

Postby crow » Mon May 28, 2012 10:34 pm

McStill wrote:Why not make a plated column out of them, CC would :laughing-rolling:

Just imagine the condenser wouldn't be a shot gun be a friggen gattling gun guess it would help use up some of the 3/4 or 1 1/4 laying around here :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:
crow

Postby MacStill » Mon May 28, 2012 10:56 pm

croweater wrote:
McStill wrote:Why not make a plated column out of them, CC would :laughing-rolling:

Just imagine the condenser wouldn't be a shot gun be a friggen gattling gun guess it would help use up some of the 3/4 or 1 1/4 laying around here :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:

use the keg spears :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby audistiller » Tue May 29, 2012 4:16 am

Pity I've lost track of a few mates than run Perth to Melbourne and back, otherwise I could grab a heap to distribute to the clan over here in the West.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby stilly_bugger » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:44 pm

ChefRo wrote:...i have alot of kegs at my disposal ( Aprox 50 +)...

ChefRo, what's the latest with your keg supply? Do you still have access to that bounty?

Stilly.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Return to Boilers & burners.