Fishleg’s boiler

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Fishleg’s boiler

Postby Fishleg » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:11 pm

Hey all,
Been very inactive for the last few years.
Thought there’s no better way to get back into it than getting a new rig.
Bought a neutraliser from 5SD and some bits to build a new boiler to stick under it.
2 kegs welded together upright to make about 85l capacity, 4 inch still connection, 4 inch sight glass/filling/wash port and 2x2400 elements one on a power controller.
I must say the experience of dealing with 5 star was great. Quick, friendly service. No dramas. And the gear looks awesome!!
Can’t wait to get it cranked up, but First gotta sort the boiler.
Got the kegs stuck together and ferrules welded into the top. Photos to follow in next post.
Last edited by Fishleg on Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Re: Fishleg’s boiler

Postby The Stig » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:15 am

I was wondering if you were going to do a build thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And thanks for the compliment.
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Fishleg » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:26 pm

C19CD8BA-E3CD-4842-88EE-63B20FC18788.jpeg
C19CD8BA-E3CD-4842-88EE-63B20FC18788.jpeg
Couple of pics of last nights progress. I only rough cut the holes for the ferrules with the plasma cutter for placement. Will grind down smooth to the inside edge of the ferrule with a carbide burr on an air die grinder
Elements ferrules next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fishleg

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:10 pm

Dam i wish I had your skills. Good work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Fishleg » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:19 pm

Got the element ferrules on there this arvo.
Roughed in the holes with plasma cutter, then welded the ferrules on (not too happy with the appearance of the welds, rushed it a bit but they should do the job), then used the air die grinder with carbide burr bit to neaten up the holes through the inside of the ferrules. The carbide burr did a good job but did not like the stainless steel of the keg, I’ll probably need to go and get a new one to be able to finish off the 4” still connection ferrule and sight glass ferrule.
Almost there, got my sparky mate coming over tomorrow to wire up my elements for me. Bit more grinding and cleaning and should be right to fire up for a cleaning run with the new neutraliser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fishleg

Postby Fishleg » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:29 pm

bluc wrote:Dam i wish I had your skills. Good work :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks bluc, it’s never too late to learn these things. I am mostly self taught through a lot of practice and a bit of guidance from some mates who are pros. My TIG welding is still pretty amateur, but i can get things stuck together to a reasonable standard.
Start with MIG coz that’s the easiest to learn, then move to stick and TIG.
Fishleg

Postby Fishleg » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:52 pm

So got the remaining grinding/cutting done around the inside of the ferrules yesterday and My mate got me sorted with wiring on the elements.
Time for a vinegar steam run.
During the vinegar run checked all my welds for leaks, there was 3 pin hole leaks on the seam where I had joined the 2 kegs together. All the ferrules welds were ok.
Today fixed the leaks and then filled up for a sacrificial alcohol cleaning run.
During the sac run got to have a bit of a play around with the neutraliser which was good fun.
At some point I’ll give the boiler a bit of a polish up and weld some handles on, but for now it’s time for this rig to get some work done !!
Fishleg

Return to Boilers & burners.