Keg Boiler?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Keg Boiler?

Postby starkles » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows any metal work shops that would be happy to cut a 32mm hole in the side of my keg so I can use one of these elements:

http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/reta ... _item.html

to turn it into a boiler?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am located in Brisbane.

Also, if anyone can tell me how much I can expect to pay for this that would also be greatly appreciated as well.

Cheers,

Starkles.
starkles

Re: Keg Boiler?

Postby maheel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:46 pm

hey Starkles

heres a local mob to get that element, no post and maybe cheaper

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=3853

they also offer a 3 year LOCAL!! warranty on them

i might be able to assist in drilling the hole as well :)
maheel

Postby starkles » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Already ordered from the other place :oops:

If you would be able to help with the drilling that would be amazing, otherwise anyone know of any metal work shops that do the deed?
starkles

Postby maheel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:12 pm

you move fast !!!!

i have to confirm i can "borrow" the drill bit but should not be a problem

could sort it during the week if you need help
maheel

Postby MacStill » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Maheel that is an awesome price for that element, I think I might need to get a couple of those myself.

If you could help starkles out drilling that hole that would be awesome, I would've done it myself but my hole saw is not good enough for SS.

I owe you a bottle or two of my rum or bourbon, what's your flavor?

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby starkles » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:11 pm

That sounds excellent. I wont have the keg until monday arvo so some time next week would be ideal if that is possible. Just let me know when you are able to do it :D

Thanks again mate!
starkles

Postby maheel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:16 pm

it not a problem, happy to help someone get going.

drilling SS is a pain, and sometimes asking a machine shop for a dodgy is hard...

that site Craftbrewer (and the shop) is an awesome beer supply joint and take beer and their reputation very seriously
they even have about 15 beers on tap as they are also a micro brewery and if you go there and buy a bit of stuff they give free samples

i like beer as well :)
maheel

Postby Heffers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:47 am

G'day Starkles,

I just did exactly that a week or two ago. Those elements are great, I got mine from Craft Brewer and like Maheel said they are a very good mob to deal with, with heaps of hardware in stock.

When I drilled mine out. I used the inside of the silicone washer as a template, marked the keg with a permanent marker and then using a 1/8th drill bit I set to work drilling holes all around the inside of my marked line. Once you have drilled all the way around you should be able to give the hole piece a tap with a hammer and pop it out. Then it's a matter of cleaning up the hole with a die grinder or round file until you have achieved the required size. It takes longer than doing it with a hole saw and to be honest it's a pain in the ass but I wasn't spending $20 or $30 on a hole saw that I probably wouldn't use that often anyway.

I'm on the northside if you want to borrow the air compressor and die grinder (heaps better than trying to do it with a round file). If you are like me and very impatient you can borrow my element aswell to use as a template so your keg is ready to rock and roll when your element arrives.

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby starkles » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:31 am

Thankyou for the very kind offer Heffers, I believe macheel is only a few minutes away from me so I may have to take him up on that offer. However if he is unable to help I'll have to track you down again haha.

Being the impatient person that I am, I am wondering if I am able to use 2 of these elements for the warm up or will that cause issues in terms of too many Amps coming through my wall socket?
starkles

Postby Heffers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:21 pm

If you are plugging each element into a seperate wall socket (ie. one each side of a double socket) I don't think that it should be a problem. Each 10amp socket should be capable of providing 2400w without issue (although I'm not a sparky so please do not in any way shape or form take my word here for gospel).

I certainly wouldn't run two through a power board or double adaptor.

My single 2200w took about 1 and 1/4 hours to get 40L up to speed. If I was to get a second element I would get a 1300w or 1600w to try and aim for a bit more control over wash temps. (not sure if these are available in the rod type elements. (if you find one let me know where)

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:46 pm

starkles wrote: I am wondering if I am able to use 2 of these elements for the warm up or will that cause issues in terms of too many Amps coming through my wall socket?

Being 2.5 inch boka you could nearly run with both elements on, but one would be enough to run with, just dont plug em both into the same wall socket :shock:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Boilers & burners.