ring burner mount

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

ring burner mount

Postby googe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Hey all, im looking for some ideas to mount my ring burner for a keg. Any pic's would be great :). Love other peoples ideas!. Thanks
googe

Re: ring burner mount

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi Googe,
are you looking at making the burner fixed to the keg? or separate to the keg but sitting at the right height?
in the past, i have just had the burner on the ground and the keg sitting on bricks.
others may have better ideas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby adama » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi googe
See the pic below ~ a 3 legged stand made by NineInchNails.
I like the idea of being able to make the boiler level.
NineInchNailsBurnerStand.jpg

I plan to make a tallish stand for my boiler and worry about adjusting the height of the gas ring underneath later.
I'll use threaded dumbells that sit inside a 30mm steel tube to level my boiler.
dumbell_leg.jpg

The easy-adjust leveler stand will compensate for some of my column "right angle extensions" (going to a condenser) that aren't 100% square.

It's on the to-do list; so I haven't got a finished product to show.
I hope it gives you an idea or two
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adama

equipment: 3" VM
Putting a decent size copper stripper together
28L s/s stovetop boiler come Gin machine

Postby bt1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:30 pm

I think you'll find a 14 inch x 6" Ford steel (not alloy) rim circa 1980 ~ish will fit a a keg near perfect on the rim edge, no gaps, no heat loss.

Grind a 15 - 20 cm slot out the front to allow exit of burner gas feeds sit your burner on the rim centre..done for about $0 - to a product sample for provider - $10
I use Coopers type A, std kegs if using CUB might pay u to measure up first...hell you could upgrade to a Holden rim with luck...

ps knock your self out and invest in a $12 can engine enamel paint...a bright Holden orange would be best...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks kimbo, simple but effective idea :). Im wanting it seperate to the keg like your idea. Thanks adama, love that first idea, adjustable would be good!, looks like an easy build to. I like the idea of the dumbells!, could aslo use adjustable scaffold legs?. Thanks bt1, was thinking about the rim idea, my keg is 39cm accross /15.3". So a commadore or falcon rim might suit. WIll do some measurements like you say. Cheers
googe

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Rims Are really effective and cheap I Have used them but then I upgraded to...
The Rolls Royce Version
Keg Rim.PNG
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby crow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Bricks are hard to beat I reckon especially old sand stocks . nothing can insulate the heat in like them , they are easy to get cheap or free and take 2 min to set up and 2 min to move . I have a ferocious burner and it sits on a bed of bricks (wooden floor) and the brick stand is dry stacked on that to the height I want my keg . When my burner is turned up a bit to get the wash boiling the inside of the bricks glow white hot and yet the outside of them are cool to touch , ya won't get that type of heat retention for anything metallic and that is a fact , but I guess it doesn't look pretty ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby adama » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Yes adjustable scaffold legswould do the same thing . . . they'd be great!
I didn't have access to any so I went with a pair of s/s dumbells for $12.
Cutting them in half gives me 4 legs . . . I gotta see if I can just get one more solo dumbell to make myself two separate stands; one for the strip boiler and one for the neutral still (they're setup side by side).
The tubes I'll put the dumbells into will have a couple of rods welded between them holding everything together.

The shed floor isn't always level and the column isn't always gonna be straight.
I reckon being able to square everything in a simple and safe way is worth doing.
It's easy to wrap sheet metal around for wind protection ~ my keg boiler sits inside a 44 gallon drum that's split down the sides.
That offers some insulation to the boil up and I don't have to lift anything.
adama

Postby googe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 pm

That sure is purdy kiwikeg, you did a nice job!. Does the keg sit on the rim or inside?. Good point with the heat retention croweater,didnt really put that into the equation :think: . Thats cheap as for a set of ss legs adama, sounds like you've got it all paned, cant wait to see the finish product!. You've given me some ideas with a 44 too!. Cheers for the info fella's.
googe

Postby R-sole » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:07 am

boilerstand2.jpg

boiler21.jpg

boiler9.jpg

The car rim holds a 3 ring burner with adjustable fett, the steel table holds a 4 ring burner with adjustable feet.

If you use 3 legs it will always be stable, if you use 4 it will always be rocky. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby googe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks 5Star,i think i will go with the rim burner, im pretty limited atm with no welder but i ll come up with something. Your big boiler is nice lookng :). Cheers
googe

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks wish I could take the credit for it but a local engineering shop knocks them out, cheap as they sell a shipload of them for Hangi Kegs - Palagi Hangis - smokers etc,
it fits inside a 50l keg rim perfectly.
kiwikeg

Postby bt1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Hello googe,

just measured keg and rim...Coopers kegs are smaller as I figured = 370mm dia.

So i reckon if you looked for a 15" steel rim (Fairmonts, Fairlanes etc used em) either x 6.5" or 7" (i.e. +25mm = roughly =1 inch) it would be just about right for a 390mm keg but take the tape measure with you reckon.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:27 pm

If you dont mind me asking kiwikeg, whats the cost?. I ll be moving over your way next year so might come in handy. Bt1, yeah the ford rim should suit good, 6.5" was one of the standard sizes from memory, so there should be a ton around. I'll be going on a recon misssion with the tape measure this weekend :). Thanks
googe

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:11 pm

@ Googe PM sent
kiwikeg

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:32 pm

This probably wont help much Googe, since you want it seperate. I wanted a drain at the bottom, so I went about it this way.I don't use the burner for anything else, so I didn't mind making it part of the still. And legs on a still are good.

But before that, the tabs at the top of the legs had nuts welded to them, with bolts for leveling, burner sat on floor. Tabs gave the height needed to get over the burner.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:03 am

Nice setup WineGlass. I will want a more perminent setup later on as i sort things out. I like the idea of having some sort of frame welded to the keg. I ll keep your idea in mind. Thanks mate.

Cheers
googe

Postby adama » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi WineGlass
What about the heat "build up" in the drain pipe . . . . have you noticed any effect on the wash; like burning or whatever?
Or does natural convection eliminate that? :think:

Regards
adama

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:02 pm

adama wrote:Hi WineGlass
What about the heat "build up" in the drain pipe . . . . have you noticed any effect on the wash; like burning or whatever?
Or does natural convection eliminate that? :think:

Regards

No.
Convection seems to take care of things. No burnt stuff. I was concerned about it doing that. My fears were unfounded.

And I dont use the inner burner. Not for the drains sake, but 2 bic lighters put out more heat than the inner ring, well maybe not, but if I want heat the 3rd ring can glow the base bright cherry. Just seems to waste gas. The 2nd ring tickling away gives the right heat for the main run.

googe wrote:Nice setup WineGlass. I will want a more perminent setup later on as i sort things out. I like the idea of having some sort of frame welded to the keg. I ll keep your idea in mind. Thanks mate.

Cheers

I just copied OD's principal. Wheels and all. Was going to use a granite top with a cored hole for the column, but I couln'd bring myself to rob a headstone.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:50 am

You've lost me WineGlass? :))
googe

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.