Just bought a keg...bit sus though

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Just bought a keg...bit sus though

Postby RossB » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 am

Howdy all. This is my first post but i've been hanging round for quite a while and thought it was time to say g'day :handgestures-thumbupleft:

After soaking up heaps of good info i've decided i'm gonna have a crack at a boka that is easily detuned to run in pot mode. I do have some tools and am a bit handy but i got a lot to learn so i'm taking baby steps. The wife and I are both uni students so lack of funds will also keep this project at a nice slow pace.

So, first things first i managed to pick up a keg for my boiler off Gumtree. From the pic on gumtree i could tell it's had a hard life but i figured a good clean with the hot pressure wash at work and some tlc and we'd be laughing. When i picked it up i noticed the ball valve (or whatever they are called) had already been removed, the top was sealed with duct tape and the spear was rattling round inside. No big deal. I got it home, managed to get the spear out and noticed it had some small chunks of foam filler or something similar stuck to it. There was also half a dozen bigger chunks of foam filler in the keg. I'm not sure wtf the previous owner was trying to achieve with the foam filler but judging from his appearance i reckon he was trying to make a party bong :-D

In any case my question is this...will any amount of cleaning get this keg back up to spec or am i just better off getting another keg from a more reputable source? I only paid $30 for it so i'm not going to be heart broken if i have to turn it into a fire drum or coffee table or whatever.

Love the forum, you blokes are legends and thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.
Ross
RossB

equipment: Hoping to build a 3" DR Boka

Re: Just bought a keg...bit sus though

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi Ross,
the foam is usually a polyurethane, so foreshots(acetone)should clean it up ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: Just bought a keg...bit sus though

Postby RossB » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Ahh good times. Cheers Kimbo

Ross
RossB

equipment: Hoping to build a 3" DR Boka

Return to Boilers & burners.