Beer Keg Lid Conversion

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Beer Keg Lid Conversion

Postby khourj » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Hello, firstly please move this thread I've placed it in the wrong area...

I have a question, has anyone got information as how to create a keg seal/lock. I'd to cut my CUB Keg for my Pot Still in half but I've I can't seem to find any information on putting them back to together with a lock or clamp? Do you get my drift? I want to be able to take the lid off, clean the keg etc etc then seal it up again and boil away....

Any ideas? or Pics?
khourj

equipment: 50L SS Keg with 2" Copper Pot Still

Re: Beer Keg Lid Conversion

Postby stilly_bugger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:04 pm

When you say 'cut it in half' do you mean 'cut it in half', like as in 'cut it across the centre weld'?
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby khourj » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:09 pm

stilly_bugger wrote:When you say 'cut it in half' do you mean 'cut it in half', like as in 'cut it across the centre weld'?

Yeh, imagine the Keg standing up and it being cut from about 2/3 of the way up... Exactly like the picture listed in this ebay listing...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280945103670 ... 500wt_1413
khourj

Postby crozdog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:25 pm

looks like they've cut it around the ring near the top & used that to slip over the straight side of the keg & used some lock down clamps. probably got a big o ring in there too.

Dunno why you'd do that when you can just use the keg as is & use the flange on the top with a triclamp to mount your pot/column & add a drain & tap on or near the bottom - job done (if you run gas). add a www.5stardistilling.com.au element guard for an electric element. no leaks and more volume

unscented / no name napisan (sodium per carbonate) is a great cleaner.
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby Cooperville » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:42 pm

crozdog
unless you have already seen it ,I did this to mine and i use it for strike water, sparge water and stillin and boilin my beers its an all in one heating machine and its so easy to clean and work with
IMHO getting the boiler right is very important to be able to clean and have it functional

having a good boiler just makes everything easier and this is where i started i built the boiler then went to a 2"potstill and have now bought the dash 2 to bolt onto the top its going to be awesome!! :ugeek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waDsx3jzMfY

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cooperville

equipment: junk loads of junk

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:48 pm

I have an 8" ferrule on top of my boiler, made a flat 8" disc with a 4" ferrule welded on to fit my still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cooperville » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Hey a Croz

I wouldn't recommend cutting a perfectly good keg in two that will limit the amount of wash you can run,
and it looks as if that boiler has a rubber seal around the top of it which will be no good also.

take your time when designing your boiler and like Macs boiler design it makes life easier and the construction is
easy
I think you would have plenty of problems sealing the design on fleabay! among other problems
Cooperville

equipment: junk loads of junk

Postby stilly_bugger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:14 pm

khourj wrote:...Exactly like the picture listed in this ebay listing...

Saw that one. Easy to clean, not so easy to seal.

I have built a sealed boiler out of a keg with a hole cut in the top, but not one that's been cut in half.

keg_lid.jpg

Used a spare ~25cm EPDM gasket that I had. It sealed well and I could get into the boiler easy. The downside was that the upturned salad bowl didn't support my reflux head very well. It was fine with my 2" pot though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby Jesiah » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 pm

Just ask around and see if you can find one of the oldschool kegs where the whole top unscrewed.

Old country pubs usually have a few in the shed.

We have some but the manager is turning them in to bbq's.
Jesiah

equipment: Mcstill Copper Pot.
McStill Copper Reflux.
50 Litre keg boiler with an exploded Keg King element that no longer works nor wants to leave my keg.

Postby khourj » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 am

Cool, I Like Cooperville's idea of the keg... that lid looks quite nifty. I just don't have a spare keg... :\ ... I may have to get my improv skills going... :dance:

stilly_bugger wrote:
khourj wrote:...Exactly like the picture listed in this ebay listing...

Saw that one. Easy to clean, not so easy to seal.

I have built a sealed boiler out of a keg with a hole cut in the top, but not one that's been cut in half.

keg_lid.jpg

Used a spare ~25cm EPDM gasket that I had. It sealed well and I could get into the boiler easy. The downside was that the upturned salad bowl didn't support my reflux head very well. It was fine with my 2" pot though.

That looks good too, thanks for the ideas... keep 'em coming... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
khourj

Postby crozdog » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Cooperville wrote:Hey a Croz

I wouldn't recommend cutting a perfectly good keg in two that will limit the amount of wash you can run,
and it looks as if that boiler has a rubber seal around the top of it which will be no good also.

take your time when designing your boiler and like Macs boiler design it makes life easier and the construction is
easy
I think you would have plenty of problems sealing the design on fleabay! among other problems

Totally agree with you mate - i'm not going to do it - kourj was asking the q, i was just answering his q.

Thank for your vid.
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby khourj » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:01 am

So, I've ended up buying a 6Ltr Pressure Cooker and I'm going to convert it so it can sit on the top of my still... in theory it'll work just need to nut out the idea with a welder...
khourj

Return to Boilers & burners.