gas vs electric

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

gas vs electric

Postby djmurphy87 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:51 am

Hi everyone probably a very common question but i am trying to decide if I should run an electric or gas boiler I am a bit weary about using a naked flame but as i am seriously considering a 50L keg boiler and a 4 inch bubbler. I have been reading around and i am only able to access to a 10 amp circuit. I am living about 40 min south of Perth so what are your thoughts gas/electric which is more cost effective which is safer look forward to any insight.

Cheers Dan
djmurphy87

equipment: Reflux

Re: gas vs electric

Postby Brigand » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 am

You'll probably find you'll need more than 10amps to run a 4" bubbler

I've got 2 * 2200W elements on my boiler and run them both to get to temp and then drop one of them to 200W - 1000W depending on the run

Can you run a lead from another circuit in the house?

I believe electricity works out cheaper than gas - but it really depends on how you source the gas

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:08 am

I used gas for a long time and now like the simplicity of using electric, even though electric requires a bit more effort to set up initially it's well worth it in the long run.

You wont run out of leccy mid run either :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby caveman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:36 am

Gday dj

I use 2x 2400w electric ellements in my boiler and use my voltage controller to drop back the heat after getting to temp .It takes about 1hour to heat up my 100L boiler which is insulated . Like brigand said you will have to run the two ellements on different circuits as running two 2400watters on the one circuit will trip ya power out . I find i have great control over my temp with the ellements and when running my pot still on a stripping run, run them both flat out and have been getting around 14 to 15 L ph out of it . :handgestures-thumbupleft: All in all im pritty happy with electric ellements and dont have that fear in the back of my mind that im gunna catch on fire and burn the house down :violence-torch: and can run my still indoors too
caveman

equipment: 3" macStill boka
2" pot still with shotgun condencer (the swan with hotdog ) custom by mcstill
105L custom built s/s boiler with sight glass/fillport ,thermoport
Aces high thumper plate bubbler ( long term project)
building custom mobile boiler bench

Postby crow » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:48 pm

I had electric and now use gas , love the instant control , would take some convincing to go back to electricity but I guess never say never ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby adama » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:30 pm

I go with gas - I think it's a good idea to have two bottles (they're not that expensive) in case one runs out.
The 9kg bottles cost $20 to fill.
adama

equipment: 3" VM
Putting a decent size copper stripper together
28L s/s stovetop boiler come Gin machine

Postby NotBenStiller » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm going 'lectric.
I dunno if these gas rigs people post about that sound like jet engines would be a good idea in suburbia :o
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby law-of-ohms » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:49 pm

NotBenStiller wrote: gas rigs people post about that sound like jet engines would be a good idea in suburbia :o

Sure do!

Had mine going the other day, next door guy pop's his head over the fence... what ya doing? .... made a still I says.... fantastic!, I've always wanted to make one!... lol

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

They are just useto it now..
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby djmurphy87 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:53 am

:text-imwithstupid: [quote="caveman"]Gday dj

I use 2x 2400w electric ellements in my boiler and use my voltage controller to drop back the heat after getting to temp .

So how how do u set up a voltage controller I was thinking of stripping the elements out of 2 25L urn's and doing away with the thermostat if it is possible because I was reading in the complete distilled (thank to the stig for the uploads) that some home made job can disrupt power or something crasy. I am not very electric savvy the extent of my knowledge is if it an electric detonator twich it if its electronic spread it.
djmurphy87

equipment: Reflux

Return to Boilers & burners.