Pot size, can you have to big a pot?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Pot size, can you have to big a pot?

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:11 pm

I am looking at getting a new pot for my all grain beer set up as I have alloy one now and its getting stained on the inside, I am looking at 70lt pot but seen a 95lt SS pot for $185 which is to good to pass up.

I want to try to adapt the lid to have a pot still set up so I can use it for both still and boiler for beer. Is this a bad Idea to mix the 2? should I have a dedicated pot for both?

Also will 95lts be to big? I was going to do a 25-30lt wash but my fermenting fridges one can fit 1 fermenter and the other can fit 2 fermenters so I could make 2 x 30lt wash I guess and use that, I will always want a beer fermenting all the time so ether will have 2 beers and 1 wash or 2 wash and 1 beer, Or just ferment the wash out of the fridges not sure how critical the temp has to be.

Oh I run a gas AG set up so I have a italian spiral burner and a 3 ring burner on a HP adjustable reg.

Cheers
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Re: Pot size, can you have to big a pot?

Postby MacStill » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Thers a few of us here that enjoy having a 100l boiler, some even larger..... Reckon you won't regret the step up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:03 pm

so will I be able to boil the beer and spirits in the same pot (not at the same time of coarse :P ) being SS and if its cleaned well I cant see a issue.

My Alloy one I just rub clean as being alloy I dont want to use harsh chemicals on it but the brew today the alloy has absorbed all the colour and that cant be a good thing if its sucking up crap then the metal must be getting in the beer I would think. Not sure if I should use it as a mash tun or just scrap it.

I could get my hands on a 50lt keg for a still and that may be a better option anyway as it will be easier to attach to and wont have to worry about volume to much, Will see if LHBS has some old ones left.
kelbygreen

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm not a big fan of using Alloy.
I think you will be much happier using S/S
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 pm

yeah was never going to use it in a still. I should of got SS to start with but trying to save money and went alloy, less then a year later now I am looking for a SS pot. So the money saving is not real great.

just questioning the quality of this pot as its so cheap, I will have to talk to the seller a bit about it. I can got 70lt option but would like to do tripple batches of beer, It would be pushing my MT but its not impossible. I could do them now without full boil but dont like that idea lol.

Only problem I see is the lid for a still trying to get it to seal and also if its strong enough. I am sure people run them from stockpots just not sure the arrangement they have for the lid.
kelbygreen

Postby 5 o'clock » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Contemplating boiler design.

I want to know if smaller might sometimes be better and can't find a definitive answer. This is the closest I have found but it doesn't really answer my question.

I will need a proper boiler for my new still, currently just running an electric element in a 12 litre cooking pot.

When I upgrade to a keg, is 50 litres too big if I only ever ferment in 30 litre fermenters so my wash volume is (currently) no more than 25 litres. I am unlikely to run multiple fermenters at the same time.

If a keg is only half full is it inefficient as a boiler?

Does anyone ever pack their boiler with anything to decrease head space and if so what? I am thinking rocks at the bottom of the boiler ( not contacting the element) or something suspended in the airspace at the top,

Cheers,

Richard

Am I going to be better off looking for a smaller keg?
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:33 pm

I only do 25-30lts into a 50lt keg thats fine. As long as the element will be covered the whole time you will be right and 25lts you should have plenty in there unless the elements 1/4 the way up the keg
kelbygreen

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:27 am

@ 5 o'clock
Head space in a boiler is fine .It allows space for foam and reduces the occurrence of puking in my experience .

When ever I have had a full boiler,I have had issues
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Kimbo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:31 am

Yummyrum wrote:@ 5 o'clock
Head space in a boiler is fine .

kelbygreen wrote:I only do 25-30lts into a 50lt keg thats fine. As long as the element will be covered the whole time you will be right and 25lts you should have plenty in there unless the elements 1/4 the way up the keg

:text-+1: I more often than not run my 4" bubbler, with a 50L keg with only 20L in it.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:43 am

Love your equipment list Kimbo :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Kimbo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:54 am

Pintobootleg wrote:Love your equipment list Kimbo :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Geez I was gunna go bigger but I thought I might get labelled as "A known Bootlegger" :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Howdy,

For rums head space is a good idea but spot of anti foam or vege oil achieves the same result. Pity to waste space in a 50lt imho. Run about 45lt fill no issues.

If I was doing 25lt washes consistently I'd be looking at a 30lt SS keg...saves on heating costs and would have enough head space.

For UJSM's other than high protein washes (Rye, full wheat) 2 -3 cm from neck is well ok and allows about 47lt fill...High protein are possible pukers so either adjust wash with protein break for a good length of time or increase head space or same again vege oil fixes the issue.

Here for product after all and hate wasting heat.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Boilers & burners.