boiler capacity too big

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

boiler capacity too big

Postby kobold » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 am

what can a standard kitchen gas stovetop heat adequately? i have been told by milehi that their 8gal (30l) milk can is too big for a gas stovetop. what if i only charge it halfway (~15l) at a time? i would strip a 30l fermenter in two runs which is better than buying the 3gal milk can and having to do three runs per fermenter. is there anything i am missing? pot stilling only.
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Re: boiler capacity too big

Postby crow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:11 pm

I don't think 30 ltrs would be to big I mean ya not going to be filling it right to the brim are you .
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 pm

30Lt on a single gas ring....hope you got plenty of time free.

might want to consider at least a 3 ring burner if time is a consideration.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kobold » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:47 pm

i guess i will have to use some insulation - kaowool was recommended.
another improvement might be to use a 3" still (instead of a 2" one). i understand it's faster -> smaller fuel bill.

@bt1 - i wouldn't go 100% capacity until i have a better heater, but i only want to buy once. ;-)
kobold

Postby crow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi Kobold I'm assuming you are on natural gas hence why you want to utilize ya stove (cheaper) I think what you have suggested doing will be fine. When I was looking at upgrading my heating system first I looked at 3 and 4 ring burners on ebay they were $60 and $80 but then I built the bd747 burner and got a hp regulator worked a treat for clean washes. I then found that the hp reg worked bloody well on my old 2 ring camp burner (cost around $20) . I do all my pot stilling with this and couldn't imagine why I'd want a bigger burner for 50 ltrs or less, the 747 is just used for refluxing now (this might change if I get an 80 ltr boiler and 6" column though :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kobold » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:13 pm

croweater wrote:Hi Kobold I'm assuming you are on natural gas hence why you want to utilize ya stove (cheaper) I think what you have suggested doing will be fine. When I was looking at upgrading my heating system first I looked at 3 and 4 ring burners on ebay they were $60 and $80 but then I built the bd747 burner and got a hp regulator worked a treat for clean washes. I then found that the hp reg worked bloody well on my old 2 ring camp burner (cost around $20) . I do all my pot stilling with this and couldn't imagine why I'd want a bigger burner for 50 ltrs or less, the 747 is just used for refluxing now (this might change if I get an 80 ltr boiler and 6" column though :laughing-rolling:

yep, saw those burners at anaconda and other camping shops. i like them too. if my plain stove is not enough i will get a qualified person to hook one up in the kitchen.
i am set getting a 3" traditonal pot still head with a 8gal can atm, but now i don't know which 8gal can to pick, they have premium and heavy duty and probably also standard, but not much info regarding what is what. i'm waiting for them to wake up already and reply to my nagging questions :))

edit: what's a hp regulator?
kobold

Postby kobold » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:08 pm

boiler capacity too small :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling:
i have been told that a three inch still is for 50l boiler. why would be a 30l boiler bee to small for a three incher? iow: what is the correlation between the boiler capacity and the width of the pot still?
kobold

Postby Kimbo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:59 pm

there is no correlation ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:25 pm

kobold wrote: what's a hp regulator?

Sorry bud just means High pressure gas regulator he's a picture of mine cost me $45 plus hoses fitting ect
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=655&hilit=regulator&start=20#p18261
crow

Postby crow » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:27 am

Kobold , bud if you only want to buy once but then talk about up grading down the track why not just bite the bullet and get a keg a burner hp reg and a 3 or 4' pot head and that's it no need to up grade (re buy shit) a bit down the track unless of cause further down the track ya want a reflux or plate still but even then hey you got the boiler for them ;-)
crow

Postby kobold » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:05 pm

croweater wrote:Kobold , bud if you only want to buy once but then talk about up grading down the track why not just bite the bullet and get a keg a burner hp reg and a 3 or 4' pot head and that's it no need to up grade (re buy shit) a bit down the track unless of cause further down the track ya want a reflux or plate still but even then hey you got the boiler for them ;-)

you are right mate, but my gear must fit my specific situation, which is, i am an urban apartmant dweller and i need to run this kit in the kitchen purely as a hobby and as a learning experience. i also want to use the pot still head for fruit brandy made from fruits from our orchard overseas, so i will take the still head in check in luggage and source a larger copper boiler there locally (100l or more). i don't want to ship boilers back and forth annually, but i don't mind carrying well built gear like a milehi still head. otoh, a 8gal can is optimal - i will never have more than two or three 30l fermenters in our city flat.

whit all that out of the way, what i finally got is the 8gal can with the 3" opening from brewhaus and the 3" traditional pot still from milehi. i call it the mule and it will make mule piss
kobold

Postby cdbrown » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:34 pm

Well you'll soon find out whether your stove top has the guts (and you the patience) to distill with your gear when you do a cleaning run. Just make note of how long it takes to get the liquids up to temp so you know how long to plan for when doing runs.

Even though you have your gear did you ever consider using electric elements?
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby kobold » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 pm

cdbrown wrote:Well you'll soon find out whether your stove top has the guts (and you the patience) to distill with your gear when you do a cleaning run. Just make note of how long it takes to get the liquids up to temp so you know how long to plan for when doing runs.

Even though you have your gear did you ever consider using electric elements?

ha! i am trained on an airstill. a beer or rum wash can puke even at 50% capacity, that means 12 strip runs for a 25l wash, each minimum 2hours long... i need free time for _that_. this will be heaven :-D the base of the pot is over 35cm, so i can go two ring and maybe i will make a nice wool pot cozy for insulation (a thick wool army blanket won't burn). btw i rejected kaowool because it's harmful to inhale. i am confident (hope) these things will add up, some report 1.5 hrs to boil for 5gal on a single ring - i can live w/ that. will report the cleaning run :handgestures-thumbupleft:

if an electric hotplate could run it cheaper i would go for that. and who knows, maybe i will find that in fact i do need more heat. ultimately i want good quality and taste. i didn't do much research, but like the 1500W german hotplates from brewhaus. pity they are 110v.
kobold

Postby crow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:44 am

I think it will be just fine on the gas stove or even better than electric Not to sure about using wool though , maybe get a 20ltr tin and cut the bottom out to use as a metal shroud
crow

Postby bt1 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:52 am

Hello kobold,

One trick is to finish your ferment to time in with your still runs. I do this each time. Advantage is wash going into still is allready at reasonable temp saves you heating time. i.e. don't turn heating off during settling stage...best in winter summer not so important.
Sry bud that's about all I can think of to assist here....unless where are u based?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kobold » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:21 am

:text-thankyoublue: guys for the tips! the calculatoror at hillbillystills.com gives 21C to 100C times of 25 to 59 minutes and vapour speeds of 9.7 to 22.6 inches in the 5000 to 12000 btu range (that's a typical kitchen stove). i think i will be okay :pray:
brewhaus shipped the boiler already!
kobold

Postby kobold » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:01 am

croweater wrote:... and 6" column though :laughing-rolling:

wow, that's like a chimney :shock: do it! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D
kobold

Return to Boilers & burners.