4 ringer

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

4 ringer

Postby dc13931 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:52 pm

so I picked up a big 4 ring cast iron burner on the weekend, looked at the tag and thought, 52Mj/h? fuck yeah!!!

set it up today to see how it goes ( it says on the label to have a 2.75Kpa regulator, and so that's what i have ) and frankly it doesn't seem to be putting out that much. outside ring has a half decent bit of flame spitting out, but each of the nozzles on the inner rings look like a bic lighter flame when it's almost out of gas...

the only thing that i can think of is at the end of the 4 iron sections of pipe that the gas nozzles are at the end of (as in the end with the taps) there are large washers on a thread that kind of cover up the end of the pipe but not really... i'm thinking maybe i have to seel the end up completely? i'll add a internet pic of a near similar burner.

any opinions would be much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dc13931

equipment: 3 inch column, vm head

Re: 4 ringer

Postby googe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:00 pm

You need a bigger reg mate, there crap with a standard reg .
googe

Postby SBB » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Those "washers" are there to regulate the gas / air mixture.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:20 pm

as said, Get a medium pressure reg and you will see the difference or a adjustable one is best. I use a LPG regulator from BCF they are like $65 but can go up heaps high I use mine on about 1/16th of what it can output and runs 2 burns at once fine, The gas bottle how ever freezes up so gotto keep a eye on that if it becomes a problem.

Also as said the washers screw up and back and are uses to set the air fuel mix you will get a hotter and cleaner flame if you adjust theses. You want to try get the flame blue not yellow like a lighter your suggesting. You will also get little to no soot build up if you adjust it right.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:23 pm

I get no soot build up with the 747 :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby crow » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:28 pm

yep you'll need an adjustable HP reg to get the most out of that mine cost me 45 bucks
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:31 pm

I used one of those with a standard reg for a few years, never saw the need for a different reg as it fairly pumped using a 4" pot still :think:

Maybe just try it for a while and see how it goes, then upgrade the reg if you feel you need it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:37 pm

that was meant to be BOC not BCF lol its a good reg but a bit of a overkill for the job goes up to 400kpa :P

this is what I use

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOC-6000-LPG ... 3f1a5e40fe
kelbygreen

Postby dc13931 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:49 pm

cheers for the info all!

well i've got my vinegar wash run tomorrow, then cask wine run sat, so i'll see how she goes for those then maybe look at some hp regs for the first tpw due next weekend :D

thanks again for the quick replies :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dc13931

equipment: 3 inch column, vm head

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 pm

adjust the washers with the boiler on the burner to. I also have mine burner on bricks as alot of heat is wasted if its to close or to far away. But adjust the flame till its blue with boiler on and it should be a heap more efficient
kelbygreen

Postby JayD » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:34 pm

dc13931 wrote:so I picked up a big 4 ring cast iron burner on the weekend, looked at the tag and thought, 52Mj/h? fuck yeah!!!

set it up today to see how it goes ( it says on the label to have a 2.75Kpa regulator, and so that's what i have ) and frankly it doesn't seem to be putting out that much. outside ring has a half decent bit of flame spitting out, but each of the nozzles on the inner rings look like a bic lighter flame when it's almost out of gas...

the only thing that i can think of is at the end of the 4 iron sections of pipe that the gas nozzles are at the end of (as in the end with the taps) there are large washers on a thread that kind of cover up the end of the pipe but not really... i'm thinking maybe i have to seel the end up completely? i'll add a internet pic of a near similar burner.

any opinions would be much appreciated.

Thats the same size as my new burner, it came with its own regulator that can empty out a 9kg bottle in around 3 to 3-1/2 hrs I have not used it yet as I'm on the road at the moment. When I get home I will take a vid showing its performance or lack off. It does sound like you need to adjust the burners until you remove as much of yellow out of the flame as you can aiming at a nice light blue colour.

Good luck
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:44 pm

not sure about that JayD I run a 3 ring burner and a italian spiral burner on my AG rig, the 3 ring would be on 1-1.5hrs a brew and the spiral 1.5 hrs so say a total of 2.5hrs to be minimal. I get 3 brews out of that so say 7hrs to be minimal, I also have a slow leak some where but cant find it and have to turn it off when mashing and so forth, the reg goes down to 0 if its off. I think its in one of the burners as no connecters shown on leak test.

I also have 2 bottles and just swap when its dead empty as I prob wasted way over what the bottle was worth in gas just to have it topped up so I dont run out mid brew.

Edit: oh my reg is only set to about 25KPA when burners are shut off so not sure what that equates to in the low mid or high pressure ranges of the other regs
kelbygreen

Return to Boilers & burners.