burner question

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

burner question

Postby googe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 am

Hey all, I have a 3 ring burner with a HP reg. I did a strip run yesterday , at the start the flames were blasting away as usual, then when the boiler started getting pretty hot the flames seemed to be less and less till halfway through the run it didn't matter how much I turned it up it wouldn't go any higher, just a flame about 3 inches high. I was thinking maybe the boiler was absorbing all the heat and that's what was happening?. This has never happened before though, I've always been able to get a big flame no matter what stage of the run. Oh, I also noticed the Bottle was starting to freeze up too, don't think I've ever noticed that before. Anyone had this prob or know why?. Thanks.

Cheers
googe

burner question

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:48 am

The bottle freezes because you are pulling it out so fast. The opposite will happen when you fill cylinders fast they will get hot as the gas compresses.

Not sure why your burner wasn't performing tho. Was it just starting to run out of gas? Give it a shake next time and see if it fires up
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: burner question

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:19 am

the reg or outlet might of been partially frozen restricting the flow.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby googe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks Sam, didn't know that. It's half full so that shouldn't be a prob :? . Thanks Kelby, that's a good point, might try a heat pack or something next time. thanks fellas.
googe

Postby Kimbo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:51 am

Just try pouring water over the reg and the top of the bottle
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks kimbo, will try that too.
googe

Postby Fatherjack » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:08 pm

I had the same before with bottles, was explained to me that when bottle sits around for a while the 2 gas propane & butane will separate. One burns ok by itself & is at the top so that burns 1st. Then you get down to the other gas which is not so flash & makes burner ran like shite.

What worked for me was when 1 had gone bad was to roll bottle round the lawn to mix them back up, Usually worked fine unless you had burnt off too much of 1 gas upsetting the mix, then its time to empty & refill
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby googe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks father jack :handgestures-thumbupleft: , learnsomething new every day, I'll give it a go.
googe

Postby Fatherjack » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:44 am

googe wrote: learnsomething new every day,

I hope I right :laughing-rolling:

I have noticed my bernzomatic with the aerosol can is running poorly, reckon it's cos it just sits on bench used to light up smokes etc & never gets a good shake up. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Return to Boilers & burners.