boiler

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

boiler

Postby CyBaThUg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:29 pm

hi i am in the process of making my boiler out of a 50ltr beer keg and was going to use the 2200watt heating element which is a cylinder shape so it can slot through the hole on the top of the keg and be installed that way which i have seen alot on the net, but I went into my local home brew shop and they basically told me its crap and would get too hot too quick and to buy one of there boilers and i basically just cracked it and walked out. I was under the impression that roughly 1000watt per 25ltr? So i basically just want to know if that element will work well or should i look at cutting the top of the keg off and installing another element that way and somehow making a lid that attatches to my condensor. Any info would b muchly appreciated
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Re: boiler

Postby unsub » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:50 pm

2200 watt is fine but keep an eye on the element cord for melting, they do not have a great rep. you will actually find it's painfully slow with a 2200 watt element for a full boiler charge. I added a 2400 watt to mine for initial boil up and then switch off the 2200 watt when it's boiling and control the 2400 watt one with the simple voltage controller.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby CyBaThUg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Cheers that helps heaps any suggestions on where to get a SIMPLE voltage controller from
CyBaThUg

Postby NotBenStiller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:40 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:hi i am in the process of making my boiler out of a 50ltr beer keg and was going to use the 2200watt heating element which is a cylinder shape so it can slot through the hole on the top of the keg and be installed that way which i have seen alot on the net
I haven't seen em like this - they're normally inserted into the side near the base of the keg. I don't think you should be cutting the top off
but I went into my local home brew shop and they basically told me its crap and would get too hot too quick and to buy one of there boilers and i basically just cracked it and walked out.
He might be half right - your element might be crap :laughing-rolling: But most likely his won't be any better. Have you got any more info about your element?
I was under the impression that roughly 1000watt per 25ltr? So i basically just want to know if that element will work well or should i look at cutting the top of the keg off and installing another element that way and somehow making a lid that attatches to my condensor. Any info would b muchly appreciated
2200W will work well for a 2" still. heat up time for a 50L wash would be 1 and a half hours or more tho. Unsub gave you the solution to that already :handgestures-thumbupleft:
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Kimbo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Hold ya horses CyBa :laughing-rolling:
McStill has/is ordered a bunch of elements in the co-op, it would be worth checking them out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And yes, those rod elements are crap ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby CyBaThUg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:10 pm

I don't have an element as yet I'm in the process of making my boiler and the 2200 watt element is what I was goin to buy. Maybe I didn't explain it properly it goes through where the keg spear was and pokes out the bottom through a hole I will have drilled and bolted in from the outside
CyBaThUg

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:14 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:I don't have an element as yet I'm in the process of making my boiler and the 2200 watt element is what I was goin to buy. Maybe I didn't explain it properly it goes through where the keg spear was and pokes out the bottom through a hole I will have drilled and bolted in from the outside
Yes those ones are crap
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby CyBaThUg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks heaps for all the info and the heads up ill definently wait and c wat mcstill has as I want nothing to do with the rude people in my local brew shop
CyBaThUg

Postby MacStill » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:06 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:Thanks heaps for all the info and the heads up ill definently wait and c wat mcstill has as I want nothing to do with the rude people in my local brew shop

My element order is being air freighted tomorrow, there's a good chance they'll be here friday but I'd count on monday :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Couple of things to consider though.

They require a fitting welded to the keg, and need to by wired by a competent sparky and are sold without without DIY advise for legal/liability reasons.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Linny » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Where can you get the fitting??? If you have them. How much???
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby CyBaThUg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:11 pm

all good im a boilermaker well apprentice haha so i should b right and have a good mate thats a sparky.
CyBaThUg

Postby Linny » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Gotta love tradies :handgestures-thumbupleft: makes you wonder why goto uni lol
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby MacStill » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 pm

The elements will fit a 1" BSP threaded socket, see here for details :handgestures-thumbupleft:

download/file.php?id=2524&mode=view
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby unsub » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:09 am

Cheers that helps heaps any suggestions on where to get a SIMPLE voltage controller from

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=933 There ya go! Get your sparky mate to make up one of these, should cost less than $40 to put it together.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Return to Boilers & burners.