Keg Spears

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Keg Spears

Postby Linny » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:34 am

Had a quick look , since im new to this i dont know what type of spear and how to remove this spear.... is there a how to link or youtube clip ....

thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Re: Keg Spears

Postby bt1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 am

It's a type A spear..Coopers/Lion.

There's a thread here somewhere on it.

From memory its kinda basically do this with a cloth or old towel over it to avoid getting covered in shite, depress rubber section with a socket that fits bleed any pressure off turn anti clock wise it will drop the centre spear locks. Spear falls in by 20mm.

Lube up outer lock ring, place a drift in hole and tap out.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:54 pm

bt1 wrote:It's a type A spear..Coopers/Lion.

There's a thread here somewhere on it.

From memory its kinda basically do this with a cloth or old towel over it to avoid getting covered in shite, depress rubber section with a socket that fits bleed any pressure off turn anti clock wise it will drop the centre spear locks. Spear falls in by 20mm.

Lube up outer lock ring, place a drift in hole and tap out.

bt1

:text-+1: These ones are good as you have a good hole there to get a drift/punch/screwdriver in to knock with a hammer.

Lay the keg over when bleeding off so you dong get covered in shit :puke-huge:

Keep bleeding the pressure off as it can rebuild on you until you bust the seal completely.

When working on it dont stand directly over it cos if it lets go its your eye thats gonna cop it :violence-smack:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bt1 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:56 am

Linny,

How'd you go on this?

let us know

bt1
bt1

Postby Linny » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 am

Will do. Ended up running out of time, cuz of a work function. And this weekend I'm away :-B
Linny

Postby CyBaThUg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:19 am

Exactly like my spear all you do is use a pipe wrench loosen it as far as it will go. Use a pry bar by placing it under the spear hit the bar with a hammer alternating sides so it comes out evenly once you hit it enough the tab brakes off, once that's broken u can screw the spear back in and remove it without any hassle. Be sure to release the preassure first by depressing the black ring with a pair of pliers
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby Linny » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:39 pm

bt1 wrote:Linny,

How'd you go on this?

let us know

bt1

I got it!. A 13/16" sparky plug socket fitted perfect to release the gas with a rag. Multi grips turn the centre circle clockwise. The spear dropped and knocked out the outer ring counter clock wise.
Linny

Keg Spears

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Good news! Now u will hav to do a u tube vid, seems they r scarce for that type of keg! :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bt1 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Good work,

love the smell of success!

kk so on to the next part...BUILD it and they will come...that's all the hangers on who like a free drop for Xmas :laughing-rolling:

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby res » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:35 am

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I might add my experience with these kegs.
Firstly not all these type of kegs have that annoying little catch on the spear that stops you from unscrewing the whole top at once spear and all, coopers do for sure though. I don't have much in the tool box unfortunately and with the pliers I had grabbing the inner spear and turning it clockwise was not going to happen. Instead I pulled out the rubber seal and then the thin metal disc under it causing the spring to release (caution nothing shot out at me doing this but it looks like it could) then you can turn the spear with your fingers, let it drop then unscrew the outer part. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
As too unscrewing the outer part it's crazy easy if you have one to turn the keg upside down a put it in a bench vice. I've done this a couple of times it's a doddle. :happy-partydance:
[size=200]Remember to let the pressure out before doing anything![/size]
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby db1979 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 pm

That's pretty much how I did mine...limitted tools and all. I didn't even have a bench vice but I did manage to get a large F clamp with the rubber grip off an old cricket bat wrapped around the top of the keg and was able to loosen it JUST enough to do the rest by hand. Mine didn't have that handy little hole though.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Boilers & burners.