Where to find a natural Gas REG

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Where to find a natural Gas REG

Postby Linny » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:31 pm

Where to find a natural Gas REG ??? ive decided since its faster to run gas and easier at my house since i just pulled 8 amps and it threw the circuit , too many rooms are connected together.

where is a cheap natural gas regulator (i have a outdoor fitting)

where apart from BCF ($54) is cheaper for a 3 ring burner ???

hoping anyone from the Newcastle region can help
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Re: Where to find a natural Gas REG

Postby bt1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:36 pm

You've got no locn details in your profile...

update

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Linny » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Linny wrote:

hoping anyone from the Newcastle region can help

updated ;) , i dont know if im retarded or not ,,,, i take it all i need is a conversion reg and pipe ,,, but do u think i can find prices or where to buy them ,,,,

guess i will have to drive ,,, i literally have GAS WELD , BUNNINGS, MASTERS, REECE and TRADELINK all within 2 KM
Linny

Postby brianp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi Linny. Just make sure the gas burner you buy is for the natural gas that you want to use and not LPG. Cheers Brian
brianp

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still & Made it me self Pot Still

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:40 pm

didnt think you needed a reg for natural gas. As its a lower pressure anyway and you will struggle to heat a mass amount of liquid with it.

All I ever see in houses are outlets the fittings plug into never any regs. The gas meter may have one. Apart from that I dont think you need one.

Also NG burners are different to LPG burners. If you buy a 3 ring burner you will need to drill out the holes (so I been told) to get it efficient to run on NG.

Maybe you should shoot auscrown a email and see what they recommend as they do both NG and LPG
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby crow » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 pm

kelbygreen wrote:didnt think you needed a reg for natural gas. As its a lower pressure anyway and you will struggle to heat a mass amount of liquid with it. All I ever see in houses are outlets the fittings plug into never any regs. The gas meter may have one. Apart from that I dont think you need one.

half right yep theres one on the meter and because of that you likely won't need one however the line going to my gas heater had one
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:46 am

My bad Linny..

And I can't blame the product consumed cos I make it...sad

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Kimbo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:58 am

I run mine on natural gas, no reg, just a gate valve, works great :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:25 am

Kimbo wrote:I run mine on natural gas, no reg, just a gate valve, works great :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Really , care to elaborate as I have natural gas here but run my burner on bottle gas (dear as) :D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Linny » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:15 am

:text-+1:
Linny

Postby Kimbo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:28 am

no worries Crow,
I got me Plumber mate to extend the 3/4" gas pipe from the house to my bbq, there it tee's off to the still.
As my mongolian burner is 3/4", he connected it up with a 3/4" gate valve and braided hose.
I have it on full power for heat up and back it off to damn near shut when running the bubbler.
The only issue i have is coz its on mains gas, the pressure fluctuates a bit ;-)
2012-12-15 09.23.20.jpg

2012-12-15 09.24.04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Can see a bayonet fitting going on my back veranda , i think it will cost to much to run gas down to my shed though :crying-blue:
crow

Postby Kimbo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:15 pm

It would be worth getting some quotes, the plumber (me mate) charged me $350 (+ a bottle)for parts and labour to run a 3/4" gas, hot and cold water from the house to the bbq. i dug the trenches etc :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:34 pm

croweater wrote:Can see a bayonet fitting going on my back veranda , i think it will cost to much to run gas down to my shed though :crying-blue:

Fill your own gas bottles[ works out 1/2 price] then you can distill anywere you want
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby crow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:43 pm

yea my plumber has a hard on for inch pipe i probably have enough 3/4 to go the 30+ mtrs to the shed hmm long trench in the hardest clay might have a chat with him about it anyway ;-)
Not sure I can fill from natural gas as the pressure is much less I understood
crow

Postby Linny » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Ok well ive been to bunnings , masters and bbq galore today .... not one person could give me a clear answer.... but for the bayonet NG fittings with the reg , masters was the cheapest (about $95) 2nd was Bunnings Gasmate version ($99) http://www.gasmate.com.au/SCats.asp?SCatID=23&CatID=2 also came with a few extras and BBQ galore was $120... so the bayonet is sorted , next is the burner. i know mongolian is the best but at $110 + delivery its a bit expensive. im looking at a 3 ring LPG burner http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... escription . it says its used for Low reg Propane/LPG , with the NG reg would this work ?

Also I'm assuming you can fill the gas bottles with NG then it would still be portable .... what annoy me is that everytime i fill at BBQ galore im lucky to get a half filled bottle since they always run it flat stick and turn it off when vapour comes out ,,, thats not actually full. I fill liquid oxy bottles up as part of my job , and the faster you fill it the faster it expands from a liquid state, and your suppost to close it off when liquid actually comes out of the Bottle.
Linny

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:57 pm

YOU CAN NOT FILL GAS BOTTLES FROM NATURAL GAS END OF STORY :handgestures-thumbdown:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Linny » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:YOU CAN NOT FILL GAS BOTTLES FROM NATURAL GAS END OF STORY :handgestures-thumbdown:

owell ... :crying-blue:
Linny

Postby crow » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:04 pm

pitty its not legal to fill auto gat into a bottle as it is many times cheaper ( some naughty ppl do) others decant of an auto gas bottle (also very naughty) :naughty: must get hold of one of them adapter hoses, just to look at how they work of cause :whistle:
crow

Postby Linny » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:19 pm

im just going to bite the bullet next week and get the NG bayonet , and the LPG 3 ring burner ,,,, after alot of reading i just have to drill out the 3x brass orifice's of the 3 ring burner to 1/16th. Ill post to let you know how i go. im pretty sure its going to work
Linny

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.