Need boiler inspiration

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Need boiler inspiration

Postby Ơbї-Wдη Kєηºb¡ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:06 pm

Finally :occasion-xmas: Santa turned up with my new tig and plasma cutter, so it's time to convert an old 18 gallon keg into a boiler except I have just measured it up and I can't fit 2 x 4 inch ferrules on the top (one for the 4 inch column - the second for a cleaning/filling port). So I was thinking of welding a 50 litre CUB keg to the top of the 18 gallon keg which would take both 4 inch ferrules easily and give me about 130 litre capacity.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the same and if anyone has photos of the same or similar.

Cheers............... :ymparty: :banana-angel: and Happy New Year boys and girls!!!! :text-happynewyear:
Ơbї-Wдη Kєηºb¡

equipment: an WineGlass 4 inch column plus plus

Re: Need boiler inspiration

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:23 pm

Are you shore you are looking at an 18 gall keg i have a few here and theres plenty of room for 2 =4 in Ferrels
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Ơbї-Wдη Kєηºb¡ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:41 pm

Yeah I wanted one 4 inch ferrule dead centre of the boiler and one off centred so the column comes out straight dead centre of the keg.

Cheers
Ơbї-Wдη Kєηºb¡

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:47 pm

Do you have a photo of the keg
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Ơbї-Wдη Kєηºb¡ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:05 pm

Digitals 140912 002.jpg
Digitals 140912 001.jpg
Here are a couple of pics, the 50 CUB and the old Firestone keg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ơbї-Wдη Kєηºb¡

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Ah that kind i would put the second one in the side right near the top that way you wont loose capacity you need an air space anyhow
Buy all means if you need the volume weld 2 together 120 liters will take a bit of heating
Aussiedownunder01

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:05 pm

I would love and cherish that 80 litre keg, I would give it a beautiful make over without cutting her too much.

A drain, couple of element fittings, a fill port and she would be the most desired lady at the ball.

Please just treat her nicely and do not molest her :pray:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Ơbї-Wдη Kєηºb¡ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Unfortunatley someone tried to cut it in half with what looks like a 9 inch grinder, the keg must have been too hard so the gouge is only about 8 inches long before they gave up :smile: .

I hope to patch it and make a very special boiler!

Cheers Mac
Ơbї-Wдη Kєηºb¡

Postby emptyglass » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Those cub kegs with the star embossed on the top, are not the most fun to weld 4" ferrules to. Easy enough, but if you could attach a ferrule to the 18 gal, it might look a bit more elegant.
But if you need a good tig project, weld 'em together!
Just make it sturdy, in case you put a tall column on it ;-)
emptyglass

Need boiler inspiration

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:06 pm

Yep seen it done with two 50L kegs, it'll work but u must insulate it if on gas cos of the tall shape the surface area at the bottom would not be comparative to the volume
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby crow » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 pm

reckon if I had that barrel keg I would repair it and use it as is, they just look cool. keep the small keg for storage and if ya think ya might need a bigger boiler from time to time keep an eye out for a ss wine/milk vat or copper HWS tank ;-) anyone chopping up one of them barrel kegs needs their arsehole removed
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Boilers & burners.