Hot water system

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Hot water system

Postby googe » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey all, im looking into the hotwater system side of boilers. I need some info on, what type would be lead free?, certain brands are better than others?. Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
googe

Re: Hot water system

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 am

Hey Googe,
I've got a couple of Saxon copper HWS's that I'm eventually going to convert to boilers but the tanks on these are fairly thin which will make them a bit harder to modify :angry-banghead:
I think the older copper HWS tanks would be thicker copper but lead solder would be a concern.
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby crow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 am

all of the mains pressure copper tanks are silver soldered some of the low pressure gravity tub type ones maybe soft soldered but from what I've seen most are also hard soldered. I've looked at getting a low pressure one as they would make the perfect mash tun and as you would know I have the 100 gal boiler which is probably way to big now, but some other options have come to light ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks fellas, rum,drinker, do you think it would be to thin to hold any decent weight?. Does it have it written on it if its low or high pressure crow?. How would I identify if its good lead?. Sorry I know nothing about them!.
googe

Hot water system

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 am

googe wrote:Thanks fellas, rum,drinker, do you think it would be to thin to hold any decent weight?

My only concern is the weight of the still attached to the top of the tank. I'm thinking of brazing a piece of 4" to the tank high enough to put the insulation & cladding back on & bracing to the cladding with a couple inches clearance to the ferrule.
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby crow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:10 am

the only good lead is the bit sitting in the forehead of a charging scrub bull bud :laughing-rolling:. If its old and soft soldered its almost certainly lead . high pressure tanks are boilers and look like boilers, the tops are convexed and the bottoms are normally convexed or concaved . The low pressure ones kinda look like a giant hat box flat on the bottom and the top will be likely flat and just held on with screws if it even has a top
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:16 am

Rumdrinker wrote:
googe wrote:Thanks fellas, rum,drinker, do you think it would be to thin to hold any decent weight?

My only concern is the weight of the still attached to the top of the tank. I'm thinking of brazing a piece of 4" to the tank high enough to put the insulation & cladding back on & bracing to the cladding with a couple inches clearance to the ferrule.

yeah look flat copper for sure but there is a lot of self sustaining structural strength in a dome, that's just an engineering fact and although you would be cutting some out you'd be replacing it with a copper ferrule so this wouldn't in the slightest weaken it ;-)
crow

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 am

crow wrote:
Rumdrinker wrote:

yeah look flat copper for sure but there is a lot of self sustaining structural strength in a dome, that's just an engineering fact and although you would be cutting some out you'd be replacing it with a copper ferrule so this wouldn't in the slightest weaken it ;-)

I'm not too concerned about the structural integrity of the boiler but more the sturdiness of the still when attached, thats why I'm thinking of bracing the neck of the ferrule to the cladding. Don't want it all wobbly :))
Rumdrinker

Postby crow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 am

yeah the beauty of a copper boiler is the heat dispersal , if you attach anything to it that will detract from it . Be more inclined to go with a brass or copper collar around the ferrule myself ;-)
crow

Postby googe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Sounds like a nice boiler when its done rumdrinker :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I ment to say got not good lead crow, stupid phone with little keys :angry-banghead: . I'm having a blonde day today I think, I know what not mean about pressure tank and non. 8-} . Thanks for the info fellas.
googe

Hot water system

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Copper collar is what I'm thinking, either braised or tig welded to the neck
Rumdrinker

Postby crow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Rumdrinker wrote:Copper collar is what I'm thinking, either braised or tig welded to the neck

:handgestures-thumbupleft: yep that's what I'd do to the ferrule neck and to the boiler lid/top
crow

Return to Boilers & burners.