ACME nut to POL adapter?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

ACME nut to POL adapter?

Postby Camikaze » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Okay, my new burner turned up today. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited about blasting 185,000 BTU up the arse of the lamb cannon. :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

However.....

I now realise that the regulator-bottle fitting supplied, is what I now know to be an 'ACME' nut. :wtf:

4110GVY9HFL__SX450_.jpg

Now, I'm at work so unfortunately can't go and fuck around with it. :sad:

My question is, will I need an adapter to fit the ACME nut into the gas bottle? A regular, garden-variety swap n' go 9kg bottle. My guess is it has a POL connection on the valve...

I have done some reading and found that some gas bottle valves have the provision to run either style of fitting but I am at a loss as to whether I will need an adapter of some description.

Anyone had the same drama? Care to shed some light???

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Re: ACME nut to POL adapter?

Postby emptyglass » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm

You could get a coupler to suit the "acme" thread and screw it to a 3/8 L/H Gas (pol) coupling
Or,
You could get a 3/8 fitting with a 1/8 male gas thread and screw it into the supply side of the reg, removing the acme completly,
Or,
if you have a pol fitting with a reg, you might be able to unscrew the valve from the acme reg and screw the valve into a new/existing reg.
Or,
You could just buy a commercial adaptor.

Most regs are 1/4" Gas or 1/8" Gas, right hand thread, but some are recessed, so you need a long non commercial fitting.
emptyglass

Postby Camikaze » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:02 am

Thanks EG.

One of the guys here at work mentioned that the ACME type fitting is the new standard fitting for U.S. LPG/Propane accessories. POL being the 'old' style. Some gas bottles around Australia had the provisions for both fittings as per the U.S. given that the ACME fitting has inbuilt safety features (an opened valve won't release gas without an accessory connected to the bottle.) However, Austraila did not end up adopting the new fitting exclusively. Apparently, this fitting is also standard on forklift gas bottles.... :think:

I have found the type of adapter required. This is a commercial adapter from Amazon. $18, although, I am sure some local camping/BOC/plumbing stores would stock something similar so I wouldn't have to wait another 4 weeks.

61s5FtB%2BedL.jpg

61fxbDux-pL.jpg

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Camikaze » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:09 am

Problem diverted!! :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Re-reading EG's post about possibly swapping over a POL fitting from another reg. Found another reg at work which had a 1/4" npt fitting and pinched that. Had to hacksaw the plastic nut off the ACME fitting to get a wrench on the fitting but it worked really well. Happy as fark at the moment! No need for the adapter after all!! :dance:

2013-02-05-296_1.jpg

Thanks for the tips EG. Exactly why I love this site.

:greetings-waveyellow:
Camikaze

ACME nut to POL adapter?

Postby Rumdrinker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 am

That's exactly how I modded my old acetylene reg to hook up to gas.
Easy & safe
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby emptyglass » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:20 pm

No sweat mate.
Save the acme bit in case you score a suitable bottle one day, then you can use that fitting to go back the other way.
emptyglass

Postby unsub » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:44 pm

I just got my burner from Amazon today and it has the same fitting on the reg. If you order one then order one of these at the same time: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F276139 ... ol+adapter Then all you need is a 19mm socket and shifter and you are, well, cooking with gas :smile:
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 am

Cool mate, good stuff. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Still works out to be a pretty cheap burner aye. ;-)
Camikaze

Postby unsub » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Yep. Cost me $80 delivered and another $10 for the fitting so still ahead by about $70 compared to the same thing from BCF. There are a lot of complaints on Amazon about it being advertised with a 30psi reg but only comes with a 10psi reg and a shorter hose. I got the long hose and a 30psi reg so I'm pretty happy.
unsub

Postby unsub » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Oh, and for some strange reason Amazon will not send those POL to ACME adapters to Australia but they will send the POL to 1/4" NPT adapters, they are about $3.50US.
unsub

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Good score mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mine also came with the bigger reg and a braided steel hose. Looks sweet.

The black paint on the burner will last about 8 seconds before it vapourises. Meh.... hasn't bothered me yet. :))

Oh...and its pretty loud too... :D

Enjoy!!!
Camikaze

Postby Camikaze » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 am

Guys,

I've split this topic in two so that Acetylene vs LPG regs etc can be discussed without confusion to our readers.

Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

Return to Boilers & burners.