Burner keeps going out??

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Burner keeps going out??

Postby Camikaze » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:52 am

Hey guys,

Well, after the small hiccup with the fittings on the reg of my new burner, I managed to fire it up over the weekend for a steam run and general play around. :D

Now, I had no issues boiling 20L of water. Took about 15 minutes without a windbreak/insulation. So rather happy with that. :happy-partydance:

The problem I have noticed, is that the flame just goes out randomly. Gas still pissing out of the jet... :o :o

I have noticed that the flame starts to burn a little erratically - hissing an going up/down etc. This is with the reg opened about 3/4 the way. The bottle does not appear to be freezing up and its pretty much full.

I have stripped the burner and cleaned out the jet etc. Jeez, talk about a simple burner design. The reg is a brand new 20lb jobbie with a needle valve to control the flow.
With the reg about half way opened, it seemed to run pretty well but whats the point of a 185,000 btu burner that won't run at full reg flow. Am I expecting too much given that it seems to run okay at half flow?? :violin: I thought I would be able to crank it up and just let er' rip.....

My guesses at the moment are: lack of wind break around the burner, breeze probably upsetting the venturi effect and the air/fuel mixture
or,
gas seperating in the bottle as per a previous thread. Was the first time using the bottle since Chrissie eve.

The burner and reg assy are a matched pair from Bayou Classic. I am yet to hit up their tech dept. Thats next...

61k-c1OENKL__SL1000_.jpg

Many thanks to all...again! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Re: Burner keeps going out??

Postby crow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 am

Yeah I reckon your guess would be on the money :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Hey Cam,do you have some sort of shroud around it? I had the same prob with the 747,no shroud no prob,I had to keep trimming the shroud till I could get the right air flow to the burner :handgestures-thumbupleft: even now,if I turn the 747 loose,it'll go out,but who needs 2 million btu to heat a wash :D :D
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Camikaze » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Nah mate, I was running it without the shroud. Was just sitting on the concrete slab on the patio. Will be doing a junkahol run on the weekend ready for a 60L TPW so I'll try it with the drum shield around it and see how it goes or if it makes a difference. Might not need it. :think:

I figure if I can still heat up a wash relatively quickly with it, I'll just suck it and see. I'm probably leaning more towards shitty gas than anything else at the moment. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:06 pm

I know with the 747,even in the shed with no shroud,if you arc it up and slowly apply the fat to her,it ends up self extinguishing 8-} mainly due to the jet size :angry-banghead: which if memory serves me correct was 1-1.5mm
Now I haven't told anyone this,but :shhh: :shhh: whilst fucking around in the shed one day,I made a prototype :whistle: :whistle: which sadly had to be dismembered and buried in 7 different points around the globe :crying-blue: :crying-blue:
Just for the safety of mankind :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I do have a video of it somewhere,and I'll try and find it,but I warn you it was fucking insane :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Started off the same way as the normal 747,just a few minor changes :D instead of a 2" shroud,I used 4",and instead of a 1.5mm hole I used 3.5,hooked straight up to a 45kg gas bottle :violence-stickwhack: :violence-stickwhack:
Mate it frightened the fuck out of me :o :o :o Cranked it up with the gas just open,nice sooty little flame :handgestures-thumbupleft: gave the tap on the gas bottle a bit of a turn and before I knew it the flame was 6 foot tall,I shit you not :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Back to your question tho,I'd say the jets are too small to handle the higher pressures,but I'll bet they are big enough to boil up 40l of was in no time.if not get the drill out :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby Sam. » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Camikaze wrote:Nah mate, I was running it without the shroud. Was just sitting on the concrete slab on the patio.

Be a bit careful if your running on concrete, best to get something heat proof to sit it on.

If you get concrete too hot it will splinter violently i.e. a piece will explode off the slab, not cool :violence-smack:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Camikaze » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:30 am

Yeah BD, I might just see how it goes heating up a full boiler charge. If not, like you mentioned, I'll step-drill the jet in small increments and see what happens. I'm pretty sure it will work fine as it is though, just need to learn the sweet spot on the reg adjustment.

The rest of your post..... :o :o :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Sam, I have seen just what happens to concrete when it gets too hot. Years ago, when I was an exhaust system builder in Bunbury, I had the concrete floor erupt in a shower of shards; thanks to me getting a bit over-zealous with the gas-axe on a rusty flange ( :D ). Frightened the fark outta me thats for sure.

The burner sits in the stand (as pictured) and the concrete underneath it doesn't even get warm. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers guys.
Camikaze

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 am

Ill see if I can find the SD card with the video on it,sorta had an idea that the flame size would increase,but this frightened the fuck outta me :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby crow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:10 am

Hey Don I almost got six foot just on your original model at around 3/4 power at the most before I shit myself and shut it down, not to mention all my neighbors coming out side and looking up and around to see what the hell was going on. :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby ACfixer69 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:44 am

The tank valve has a shut off built into it to prevent flow in the event of hose rupture or whatever. Your burner is burning right at the max flow rate causing the sputter and shut down. Try a different tank the problem should go away. I had one that did the same thing. New tank fixed it for me. :D

AC
ACfixer69

equipment: 4" modular platted still 3 plate and 4 plate or 7 together 15.5 US gal boiler w/ 2- 4500W elements & 50AMP phase angle controller

Postby tickle » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:12 am

Cupcake wrote:Ill see if I can find the SD card with the video on it,sorta had an idea that the flame size would increase,but this frightened the fuck outta me :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

cant wait to see this... 8-)
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Return to Boilers & burners.