Is this possible if not ideas please

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: Is this possible if not ideas please

Postby blond.chap » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Bt, it has some tinkering needed, but I think it's doable. First step is the thumper, then I'll give it a go.

Just had a bitch of a run, Paris wouldn't co-operate. First there was a leak in one of the sight glasses, then the plates seemed to be flooding... then after about 2 hours of taking off spirit that smelt like heads I gave up.

Packed everything up (noting that the bottom plate took ages to drain down and went inside for a drink, after which I remembered that I'd left a piece of wet cloth in the bottom downcomer when doing some resoldering.... pretty stupid mistake.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:20 pm

blond.chap wrote:Just had a bitch of a run, Paris wouldn't co-operate. First there was a leak in one of the sight glasses, then the plates seemed to be flooding... then after about 2 hours of taking off spirit that smelt like heads I gave up.
Packed everything up (noting that the bottom plate took ages to drain down and went inside for a drink, after which I remembered that I'd left a piece of wet cloth in the bottom downcomer when doing some resoldering.... pretty stupid mistake.

Seems to me this belongs in the tell us ya fuckups thread :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby blond.chap » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:36 pm

Totally agree, if one of those omnipotent people can be bothered moving it, that would be great.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby emptyglass » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 pm

blond.chap wrote:Yep that sounds like a good start, 5 plates, a thumper and some Scotia should be a decent start.

Not much room to improve after this set up.

It's ok, we wont tell anyone about the rag :shhh:

FWIW, a thumper carries flavor, a rock packed section removes it.
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 am

At least the rag will be clean :D

If it where a tartan pattern...does that mean your making a scotch? :D

Stuff happens bloke, I had a recent gasket shit it self early run...nothing like a flood of hot ethanol rushing down to meet my gas burner :o
lucky they never met...just...

Look forward to hearing how this beast develops it's a really interesting design and not another run of the mill clone.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Previous

Return to Boilers & burners.