Is this possible if not ideas please

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: Is this possible if not ideas please

Postby emptyglass » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:05 pm

bt1 wrote:
bt1 wrote:
I'd also question the issue of smearing given the feed in will induce reflux and pool up spirit to some degree.

bt1
mac wrote:
Like the first plate pools and smears ?

Wouldnt the other plates clean that up?

How does that address the feed in tube natural reflux and pooling at the input of the column. I don't believe it does. Put another way why go to infinite trouble to make sure a RC or PC is dead level on top to avoid pooling, this seems prone to it.

On the subject of heat it's going to take a significant more to drive it surly compared with a inline column. That boiler base is prolly designed specifically for heating...it ain't no keg base deflecting heat.

bt1

It drains back to the boiler. it cant get out without going through the plates.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Hmm scrap that, it defeats the idea of what he's trying to do. If he had it like the one in the pic he might as well get a smaller boiler and put it on top. With the design in the pic he'd loose volume from the boiler,
googe

Postby bt1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Kinda there to me,

If as EG said the vapour feed in was just below first plate it makes sense to me. A diffuser or small baffle would most likely be needed to prevent first tray liquid bath being blasted by a focused vapour stream.

Otherwise a bottom feed in tube carrying heated vapour would drown in the "refluxed" heavier liquid bath. I'd see it simply as incoming vapour percolating through a ever growing pool of progressively heavier liquid, forcing contamination rather than separation as we strive for.

It may be worth considering the feed in vapour tube from boiler would be better being a continuous slope to avoid a down stepped area where heavier liquid would accumulate.If the drain was below the point of vapour entry it would make more sense.

The initial drawing does not address return agreed and that's to be taken into account. However the positioning of the input vapour feed could be looked at.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 pm

bt1 wrote:How does that address the feed in tube natural reflux and pooling at the input of the column. I don't believe it does. Put another way why go to infinite trouble to make sure a RC or PC is dead level on top to avoid pooling, this seems prone to it.
bt1

Actually reading this again doesn't make any logical sense what so ever :angry-banghead:

What does the feed tube pooling at the input have to do with pooling on top of a condenser that is perfectly level?

If the condenser is perfectly level & has 4 x 1" holes in it, then where the fuck is anything going to pool ? 8-}

If your drain is in the right spot at the input, then how is smearing going to be a problem? all one needs to do is have the feed tube on a slight angle back to the boiler, I really cant see a problem with the problems you're creating :wtf:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:13 pm

I would just build a bigger fucking shed :whistle:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Hmm sudenly i want to look into how these offset columns work. A significant number of them have the base of the tower way below the wash level so I'm thinking It shouldn't be to hard to adapt to a hobby still and a hobby still built like this would really create some interest. Holstein's build them so I would assume they work every bit as good and efficiently as and inline system or ppl wouldn't run them
:twocents-mytwocents:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm

13,000 euros, and you got one to pull apart to see how it works. Thats second hand, depending on availability, and how much holstein value your business. Don't forget the cost of shipping 3/4 tonne of metal to Australia, just for your angle grinder.

I think you'd have to email them for a year, offering euro cash before you worked up the queue. When you tell them you're just interested in how it works, don't be surprised if you slip down the queue a bit, IYKWIM (if you know what the fuck I'm talking about)

The pic I posted is liquid heated. What you see at the bottom is a jacket. Cant say if its steam or glycol, but both are considered liquid. Either way, I'm sure it gets heat.

I'll throw this in the mix. This was posted by guitarmaster on HD, late 2010, early 2011.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 pm

but wouldnt you get pooling and smearing in the parrot EG ?? :think:

8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 pm

lol, only if it wasnt flat

EDIT; I know a bloke with a flat packed parrot....
emptyglass

Postby crow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:10 pm

think ya fucking hilarious don't ya well guess what I hooked it on my sleeve and sent it flying so now it is flat pack again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Mate, I'm laughing so hard I spilt my drink jigging arround. :banana-stoner:

I'll leave the stillsons out of this. And the dropping slug epidemic you guys have over there.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 am

k wait til the meeting I'll throw one a these here slugs at ya , be like getting hit with a car tyre. Some of em look like some Jamaican dude got the John Wayne Bobbit treatment round here
crow

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:07 am

Just thinking couldent the bottom of an offset tower act like a thumper
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby crow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:07 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft: always thinking I don't know but that is an interesting question , maybe
crow

Postby emptyglass » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:13 am

Thats what I was thinking. Bring the vapor in throught the bottom, have the classic riser and cap, then set it up so the thumper overflow goes back to the boiler with a liquid lock "u" trap and runs in just above the wash level. There could be issues once the plates are loaded though. Still thinking about that bit...
emptyglass

Postby crow » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:26 am

What issues? , Mac ran this still with a thump box at the base
crow

Postby emptyglass » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Not sure. Can you see any?
Not sure about the possibility of wash making its way to the column. I guess a check valve would fix that.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:49 pm

It'll be the same as if your feeding the bottom plate of the column, you just need the feed sloping back to the boiler
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Would a heat source under the column help?. That would be a continuous still I guess?.
googe

Postby emptyglass » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Continuous untill it ended, I guess :laughing-rolling:

Nahh, its still a batch still
emptyglass

PreviousNext

Return to Boilers & burners.