keg tap

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

keg tap

Postby googe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Hey all, I want to put a tap in the base of my keg, is there such a thing as a connection I can put in without welding it?. Like it seals inside when I tighten it outside. Thanks for any help
googe

Re: keg tap

Postby crow » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:09 pm

If its for a boiler well suit ya self but I wouldn't' . Yes there is just like a lot of galvanized iron tanks are done with seals and a nut on the inside but ya don't boil ya water tank eh ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

keg tap

Postby Rumdrinker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Before I got my tig I used a stainless nipple fitting with stainless nuts for the drain. Only seal used was PTFE tape & a bit of silicone & no leaks in 18 months of use.
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby Fatherjack » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Maybe this is where the copper washer could work on the ss nipple & nut idea, its a fitting that you can apply enough torque to, that would cause an annealed copper washer to seal??
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby punchy21 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:55 pm

Is it for the underside? If so search for '1/2" skin fitting' on eBay, just have to check it will fit through keg opening. Could be a PITA trying to get it through the hole you drilled...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

keg tap

Postby Rumdrinker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:06 pm

punchy21 wrote:Is it for the underside? If so search for '1/2" skin fitting' on eBay, just have to check it will fit through keg opening. Could be a PITA trying to get it through the hole you drilled...

The stainless skin fitting is the go if you can't get a fitting tig welded on to your keg, $35 for 1" on eBay. Just use wire to guide it down to the hole, easy done.
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby googe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Sorry should have explained better, I don't have a large fill port to be able to reach in and do a nut up from the inside, something that will real inside by tightening a nut from the out side, ive seen them years ago but cant find or recall what they were. Thanks for the info.
googe

Postby googe » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Rumdrinker wrote:
punchy21 wrote:Is it for the underside? If so search for '1/2" skin fitting' on eBay, just have to check it will fit through keg opening. Could be a PITA trying to get it through the hole you drilled...

The stainless skin fitting is the go if you can't get a fitting tig welded on to your keg, $35 for 1" on eBay. Just use wire to guide it down to the hole, easy done.

that could workl rumdrinker, I thought it might be to much fucking around.
googe

Postby Goldie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54 am

Boating shops also sell ss skin fittings too.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby smegory » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:01 am

I was thinking of the same thing here is a link not a bad price either https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=133&item=78524&intAbsolutePage=1
smegory

equipment: valved reflux still and an original macstill 4 plate ss bubbler

Postby googe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 am

I thought of an example of what I mean tonight, his pic. Something that can be screwed up from the outside and tightens inside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby Hobo » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Hey Googe, why couldn't ya just drill your drain hole at 180 deg opposite your heating element? That way you could use a long extension and a socket to do your nut up from the other side.
Of course you would have to take the element out to do it. Just a suggestion, that's what I am planning to do when I upgrade to a keg boiler.
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Hobo,

you know sometimes a practical look at things really helps...f&*king great...wd bloke

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby unsub » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:54 pm

I just put one of those 1" skin fittings in my boiler. It was a piece of piss, just drilled a 32mm hole and fitted it straight up and screwed a 1" gate valve on.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby 1 2many » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Hobo wrote:Hey Googe, why couldn't ya just drill your drain hole at 180 deg opposite your heating element? That way you could use a long extension and a socket to do your nut up from the other side.
Of course you would have to take the element out to do it. Just a suggestion, that's what I am planning to do when I upgrade to a keg boiler.

Nice trick mate great idea. :-D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Brendan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:49 pm

googe wrote:Sorry should have explained better, I don't have a large fill port to be able to reach in and do a nut up from the inside, something that will real inside by tightening a nut from the out side, ive seen them years ago but cant find or recall what they were. Thanks for the info.

To repeat a few others...'through-hull skin fitting' is what you're after :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Return to Boilers & burners.