Starting my build -Boiler Question

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Starting my build -Boiler Question

Postby franko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Hey stiller's

Going to make a start on my boiler this week and I'm thinking of installing a 4"inch ferrule to the top of a 50L Beer keg, thinking this would be future proof for adding something bigger later on like a bubbler column .
I'm thinking of using a Stainless concentric Reducer 4"x2" to connect up to the 2 inch column.
Would it be beneficial to add a 2 inch sightglass window to the top of the keg also

Franko
franko

equipment: just starting out looking to build my own

Re: Starting my build -Boiler Question

Postby JayD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi Franko,
Here is link to a thread showing how I modified my keg utilising my original 2" keg outlet to make a 2" to 4" reducer. This might give you some food for thought. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby franko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks for that link J I do like the look of that home made reducer alot cheap than buying one
franko

Postby JayD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:03 pm

cheaper it is if you have skill set to do the work yourself ?, if I may be so bold to suggest if you have not sourced your ferrules, tri clamps etc etc have a look through our Co Op for your supplies helping us helping you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Jonno » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:27 pm

hey franko,

have you built yourself your actual still yet? from your profile it doesn't look that way yet.

Just a friendly word of advise because i was the same. Dont get to far ahead of yourself in the beginning. Just build with what your gonna use now i reakon. I spent a small fortune on buying this and that and in the end ive used everything i bought BUT i didn't really need most of it :laughing-rolling:

just wanna help ya save a lil cash :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jonno

Postby franko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Jonno wrote:hey franko,

have you built yourself your actual still yet? from your profile it doesn't look that way yet.

Just a friendly word of advise because i was the same. Dont get to far ahead of yourself in the beginning. Just build with what your gonna use now i reakon. I spent a small fortune on buying this and that and in the end ive used everything i bought BUT i didn't really need most of it :laughing-rolling:

Thanks Jonno
I understand but as with my beer gear I like going over the top a little that's the fun I guess of building things.
I have a couple of spare kegs so nothing Iike starting another build
Here's what my brewery looks like
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
franko

Postby franko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:09 pm

JayD wrote:cheaper it is if you have skill set to do the work yourself ?, if I may be so bold to suggest if you have not sourced your ferrules, tri clamps etc etc have a look through our Co Op for your supplies helping us helping you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for the link JayD I'll take a look
franko

Postby Sam. » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 pm

franko wrote:
Jonno wrote:hey franko,

Thanks Jonno
I understand but as with my beer gear I like going over the top a little that's the fun I guess of building things.
I have a couple of spare kegs so nothing Iike starting another build
Here's what my brewery looks like

Faaarkk :o

What did you use to polish those kegs? :think:

Awesome set up there by the way :clap:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby franko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Faaarkk :o

What did you use to polish those kegs? :think:

Awesome set up there by the way :clap:

lots of liquid polish with my electric Buff polisher
franko

Return to Boilers & burners.