Acetylene regs for LPG?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Acetylene regs for LPG?

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:42 pm

I seen this post I thought I might throw this out there and maybe someone with a bit of oxy experience EG hint hint hahaha could help. This is a good one for newbies to know because a lot of people assume that aceltylene regs have the same thread as lpg threads when they actually don't there similar but not the same. You can blow your acetylene reg out because it doesn't screw it properly. I borrowed the left one of a mate and I been meaning to change the thread on the acetylene one so I can give the other one back I know you can do this but
1) fucked if I know how to get the end nut of the acetylene rig?
2) fucked if I know who sells the lpg pol thread to go on the end of the acetylene reg?

Anyone done this conversion before its meant to be easy but im worried im gunna fuck the reg cause if on tight

ticknaylor

Re: ACME nut to POL adapter?

Postby emptyglass » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Acetalene and LP gas regs are not really the same.
Acet is an absorbed gas, max pressure is about 22psi from memory, or something like that, but LP is a high pressure gas. Not really the fittings fault.

Some fittings will work on both, its often the end detail thats different, the thread is the same. Some LP gas ones that don't have the o ring groove will work on both.

The LP gas one pictured will undo with a spanner on the hex at the end near the O ring. The acetalene one is not real clear, butI think it will have a hex broached in the end, use an allen key to get it out.

The way they seat in the bottle is is often different between makers, and different between how they connect to the reg/appliance. Its hard to find the right one sometimes, but camping shops are usually the best bet.

Most regs will say what gasses they are suitable for.
Dont use an acetalene reg on LP Gas. :naughty:
emptyglass

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks for the reply EG you got a good understanding and I appreciate you sharing I heard of people doing this conversion without any issues that's not to say its safe or anyone should do it. Í think its kinda like running a three ring burner with a high pressure reg its not made for it the specifications say you shouldn't and if you blow yourself up its your own fault, but I believe as long as you don't blast it with a ridiculous amount of pressure it should be ok but I understand why you wouldn't recommend it. I know a guy who runs his bbq with a high pressure reg in the end if ya blow yourself up its your own fault
ticknaylor

Postby emptyglass » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:09 pm

If it floats the boat, I understand, just saying what I think I know.
Just don't go pop bloke.
emptyglass

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:44 pm

cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Just had a look on ebay and for $50-70 odd you can get a new lpg reg pretty much a no brainer at that price not worth going pop cheers EG you are right I feel like a cheap bastard now hahaha :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby unsub » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:23 am

Have a look on Amazon, they have high pressure regs for about $25 with the right connections. I was looking at a 60psi model for $24! Postage may be the killer though.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Re: Acetylene regs for LPG?

Postby Camikaze » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:33 am

Guys,

I've split this topic away from the ACME/POL fitting thread to save confusion for readers.

Cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby ACfixer69 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:01 am

These regulators and gases are not convertible/interchangeable and should not be fucked around with. Huge and very dangerous side effects will result. The incompatibility of the regulators is on purpose and not to be by-passed. Tips and torch handles too.
Hope this stops someone from making a big mistake.

AC
ACfixer69

equipment: 4" modular platted still 3 plate and 4 plate or 7 together 15.5 US gal boiler w/ 2- 4500W elements & 50AMP phase angle controller

Postby Camikaze » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 am

Yep I found that whilst attempting to locate LPG compatible flashback arrestors.

Good point mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby emptyglass » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Good call splitting the thred Cam.

I've got one of those "gas fuse" type attachments, but they only work on a pressure difference beyond normal use, I don't think I've seen a flashback for LP.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Mines got em each end empty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby Dipsomania » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:23 pm

uploadfromtaptalk1363947647619.jpg

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dipsomania

equipment: Artisan Copper Condenser

Postby ticknaylor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 am

So i just bought a new lpg reg. That acetylene reg runs at 100kpa safely after that the gauge is red which i assume is above its working pressure so i think if you run under that pressure you'd be fine i know an old welder whos does this since boc started charging rent and he hasnt gone pop not to say he wont but theres a safety factor in these things i wouldnt recomend a newbie doing these mods someone who knows what there doing may get away with it. Having said that all the scare talk made me buy a new reg so maybe i dodged a bbullet
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:08 am

Anyway i feel this topic should be removed as stuff ive said is contriversal id hate for someone to think its ok because of me i was just interested if anyone had done it as ive seen this mod. For 50 bucks you can get a good lpg reg no brainer really
ticknaylor

Return to Boilers & burners.