Gas Burner

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Gas Burner

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:30 pm

ok so I have posted a few diffent threads over the last few weeks. One was about boilers and the other was on grains now I am posting one on gas burners. I am just looking to get some thoughts
on what I can use for gas jets. I have priced them and they run at about $5. The cheapes idear I have come up with so far are is mig tips. Any one tryed them befor ??.
Stay tuned with some luck I will have some cool boiler stuff to show soon.

IMAG0279.jpg

from left to right 0.6//0.9//1.2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Re: Gas Burner

Postby Distillnation » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:50 pm

You might be able to get away with using mig tips, but don't take my word for it just yet.

A lot of people seem to use them in their propane/gas forges. Check out this one here, should be able to give you an idea of whether or not it will work for your burner:

http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/forge.tutorial.htm
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby 1 2many » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Mig tips work great But that depends on the type of burner you are trying to build ,And what you want do do with it. Do you plan to mix your air with the gas before going through tip or mix the gas as it come out of the tip with air that would require a nozzle of some type, I WOULD BE CARE FULL OF TIP SIZE go small.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby googe » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:24 pm

I've often wondered using them cause I get millions of them from work, I've been curious if a defuser could be used instead of tips to. Good luck mate, don't forget to give us feed back if you build it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:49 pm

the tip would be the jet so yeah gas air would mix after the jet. Yes i am thinking of some type of nozel to go on it. Just been out the shed looking over all the bits I got that I could use. Need to pick few things up tommorow morning. One thing I need is a high flow gas reg thats got lots of room to play with in the low end range of it.

Im gona think out loud and see what you all think please correct me if I am rong. Would the size of the jet matter say a large jet if you have a reg that can be turn down if you got to much heat.
I hope that is clear. :-B
DrunkASAskunk

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am

You need nozzels like on mongolian wok burners when i get this connected i will take a photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby bt1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 am

Howdy,

Got 2 Mongolians a 23 and 32 jet models. I don't tend to use them much cos they soot badly when run at low gas levels, like > 1/3.

They are great on half or full song and run clean at those levels. They also chew gas fairly hard. I could put up with this if there was a huge heating time difference, but on the 23 jet I've not found that.

I think the jets could suffer the same issues.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks guys. I plan to use this burner on a large boiler so the extra heat that it will make will be needed. I have looked at Mongolians burners and there jets. Now the jets are about $5 each.
Even in I buy a 32 jet moggo burner I am still looking at $126 and still need to get other parts to get it up and running. http://www.auscrown.com/page/shop/flypa ... jetburners
I think with abit of playing around we can get one made up for halfe that price. My time is free for this build so we see how we go to day. I should have some pic's to be shown at the end of the day.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby MacStill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:52 am

Hey skunkface have you seen the BD747 ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:20 pm

MacStill wrote:Hey skunkface have you seen the BD747 ?

Yeah looks like the same thing I am making.

This is where i am at with my build.
IMAG0283.jpg

I am using a 0.9 mig tip tryed a smaller one but did not like the way it was burning.
IMAG0285.jpg

What I now need to do is just start playing with diffrent size pipe as my flame tube to see whats going to work best. I also have a High pressure gas reg on the way should be eh tommorow.
I think the high pressure gas reg should make it alot safer with flashback. Need to keep the pressure up to stop that with large jets.
DrunkASAskunk

Postby googe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:26 pm

I thought you were going to do a multi jet sort of setup. Will the heat be to concentrated on one point of the keg with one jet?. You can get them in 1.2mm tips too, or sub arc tips start at around 2.4 and go to around 4mm from memory?. Looks good mate, you'll have to do a more indepth explanation when you finished :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey Drunk,if you put a shroud around it,you'll find that they work shit loads better.
.9-1mm is the hole size you'll need any bigger and it's too hard to keep the fat up to it :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:32 pm

googe I am planing to do a multi jet one. But first I need to work out what my air flow is. Got a few things im working on with this. Give us abit more time mate I am lerning few new things eh. I also need to achev what I want to safley.

Gummy I am a step a head of your comment it was just a pic of where I am at. I have just spent the arvo playing around with diffrent size pipes and fittings to try and get a good venturi working.
I am getting closer but still need the High pressure gas reg. I think If I can push the pressure up a bit then what I want to achev should be done
DrunkASAskunk

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:40 pm

IMAG0291.jpg

woops need to add the pic
DrunkASAskunk

Postby googe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Looks good mate, that thing will blast with a bit reg, well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:35 pm

yeah its a nice stable flame. Unlike the other rocket types you see. then times that by 5 flames that alowing you to spread the heat better under your boiler rather then that grate scorching heat from the BD747. Your still going to use a shit load of gas but. This is probly about as gar as I will get with is this week. As today while I was out looking for other parts I brought my self a new inverter welder it was to cheap to pass up.
DrunkASAskunk

Return to Boilers & burners.