10 litre boil up time

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: 10 litre boil up time

Postby blond.chap » Mon May 06, 2013 10:07 pm

WineGlass wrote:Shit hot Blondy.
It will be interesting to see how well it does back calculating a burner output. I reckon if it can give an idea of the losses (2.063kw actual V's 2.4kw rated consuption) those losses could be chased and hunted down like varmints.

With a real world calculator you could work out if a change was an improvement and by how much. And like you say, great for working out efficencies in insulation on an electric pwered boiler.

Good work mate, can't wait till the stig gets it up.
Sorry stig, thats not what I meant.
Cant wait till the stig gets it uploaded. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Like S&L mentioned, the key for a burner will be having a repeatable system. So same burner position, boiler height above, reg setting (by pressure if possible) etc. If you suss the pressure settings you could then start to tweak things like shroud positions and/or insulation.

Obviously a lot easier for electric, then main thing I like about this is the boiler heat-up estimation. It will take a bit of the guess work out of how long to wait, especially when you have different volumes and initial temperatures.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby emptyglass » Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Like Sam said, it would be difficult if you had a burner with just the valve on the bottle doing the job, you would have little fact to work with, even a basic reg wont give you much, unless you can know the set pressure with some sort of accuracy.
You would need at least a gauge on the reg you were using, if nothing else for repeatable results.
emptyglass

Postby The Stig » Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 am

This is what you've all been waiting for.
blond.chaps boiler thingy
You will require MS Excel for this to work.
Once its open you will be able to save it to your computer for offline work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Edited by request :-B
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby The Stig » Tue May 07, 2013 8:50 am

WineGlass wrote: can't wait till the stig gets it up.

Do you often have these thoughts of me :shhh:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby googe » Tue May 07, 2013 9:22 am

Was just thinking empty, yeah don't do it much, I remember you saying you run your bubbler on about 90 kpa middle ring?. I run mine at about 40 kpa middle ring. you have 5 plates and I there, that seems like alot of difference though, even with the different plates?. Can we still compare with them differences?.
googe

Postby blond.chap » Tue May 07, 2013 2:04 pm

googe wrote:Was just thinking empty, yeah don't do it much, I remember you saying you run your bubbler on about 90 kpa middle ring?. I run mine at about 40 kpa middle ring. you have 5 plates and I there, that seems like alot of difference though, even with the different plates?. Can we still compare with them differences?.

Hey googe, you can certainly compare how effectively the 2 burners are heating. One of the interesting outputs will be what heat input is required to run your still. For example I know ByB needs to run his still at about 3kW, and at 2.4kW his plates dry up. Whereas with mine I can run it with 2.0kW.

No-one's setup is likely to operate exactly the same, but it would be interesting to compare how we all run our stills (which I think is what EG was getting at).
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby emptyglass » Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 pm

googe wrote:Was just thinking empty, yeah don't do it much, I remember you saying you run your bubbler on about 90 kpa middle ring?. I run mine at about 40 kpa middle ring. you have 5 plates and I there, that seems like alot of difference though, even with the different plates?. Can we still compare with them differences?.

I also run with the burner valve half closed, its the only way I've found to get this burner mixture right and get it burning clean blue. We also have different stills.

If we were both running the same still, it would be more meaningful. But you have made a good point, there are so many variables on gas.
emptyglass

Previous

Return to Boilers & burners.