Boiler build attempt

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Boiler build attempt

Postby 1 2many » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi fellas, I thought since i have cheated and bought Blockhead and have not got my hands dirty by building anything I felt kinda guilty that i have not put in enough so i have decided to have a go at building my boiler x_x x_x .

My Aim is to use a standard CUB keg invert it have and haveit raised on a stand just for ease of emptying.
It will have a 1" drain at the bottom that is removable via 2" triclamp connection.
It will have a 4" ferule to support Blockhead.
It will have a 3" ssg sight fill port window.

Here is the keg and parts for build

Boiler parts.jpg

CUB Keg.jpg

I think i might have made my first mistake by removing the bottom ring before finding the center spot on the bottom of keg may have more difficulty trying to get it right, time will tell.
This late model keg has a press fit ring that is welded on and makes for difficult removal because it is easy to cut to deep and cut into the keg itself , anyway i just went by eye cutting at 90 deg to the keg just above the weld all the way around barrel to the depth i thought was about right. I then cut through the bottom ring so that it would spring apart but that didn't happen until i gave it a good wack with a 2 pound hammer and whoohoo it started to come apart as it turned out my judgement was not to bad had to crack most of it off, but until i finish grinding back the weld i wont be able to see how much i have under cut.

Progress so far
Cut ring.jpg

Weld edge.jpg

Bottom ring removed.jpg

Now comes the issue of finding the exact center for the 4" ferule any good idea's would great

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Re: Boiler build attempt

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Looking good Mr Many :D

I wouldn't be too worried about having the the still mount dead centre, I'd focus more on getting it dead level as the bottoms of the kegs aren't perfect... nobody will notice a couple of mm off centre but you want your column plumb :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 2MEKE » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Like Mac said, a level boiler ferrule is probably more important than dead centre.
But...top has 2 quite well defined circles on it.
Measure the diameter of the lower one reasonably accurately using calipers.
Add 1mm to the radius then scribe an arc thru the centre from 3 points round the circle.
The centre of the intersecting points is the centre of the raised portion.

What about putting adjustable feet on the keg? DIY something like this.
2MEKE

equipment: ...getting there...

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:44 pm

BETTER TO PUT WHEELS ON IT LIKE THIS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby 1 2many » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:15 pm

2MEKE wrote:Like Mac said, a level boiler ferrule is probably more important than dead centre.
But...top has 2 quite well defined circles on it.
Measure the diameter of the lower one reasonably accurately using calipers.
Add 1mm to the radius then scribe an arc thru the centre from 3 points round the circle.
The centre of the intersecting points is the centre of the raised portion.

What about putting adjustable feet on the keg? DIY something like this.

Both good points , :handgestures-thumbupleft: Mac your right 2MEKE thanks that was what i wanted :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I planned on raising the boiler about 500 mm so basically it will be the stand that will need to be adjustable ? and yes the centre does have the defind circles and the ferule is only slightly to small to fit really flat .

Tomorow I will finish off cleaning up the weld thats left , it took 1 medium 80 grit flap disk to do 20 % of the barrel so need to go to Bunnings and get some consumables :doh:

Then will try and align the 4" ferule :scared-eek: :scared-eek:

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Today was a nice day out so thought i would cut the 4" hole for the still mount triclover fitting, looking at the bottom of the keg there is a raised flat spot about 2" in diameter that I used to get the keg level by putting a spirit level on top, after putting a nail under the top ring that is now holding it up i was able to square up the keg, so then put the ferule on the keg and just put the spirit level on the ferule and adjusted to square which actually centres the ferule ,cool

Leveling (Copy).jpg

Then I marked out the position with a scribe inside the ferule and made a pizza shape cuts on the raised section with a 4" angle grinder so that i could remove a section at a time.

Markout (Copy).jpg

Pizza cut (Copy).jpg

It did take about 1/2 hour though , when those disks get small they just explode in your face and takes a few minutes to replace the disk and I used about 12 disks so there was a bit of mucking around however it worked out ok.

Sight glass ferule will be done tomorow I hope. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

boiler (Copy).jpg
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Looking good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You must be busting your balls to get that Blockhead running, you're a very patient man having a rig like that and waiting weeks to run it :wtf:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby philthy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Looken good olmate, Im about to do a boiler build meself in the next few weeks. Wont be building a still either as I will be shopping at Macs :D Keep the pics comen olmate!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
philthy

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:37 pm

MacStill wrote:Looking good mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You must be busting your balls to get that Blockhead running, you're a very patient man having a rig like that and waiting weeks to run it :wtf:

Yeah i know Mac i am hangin to fire it up ,SOON :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:53 pm

20130622_161149 (Copy).jpg

I am getting a bit concerned about my welding capabilities :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby JayD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:19 pm

1 2many wrote:
20130622_161149 (Copy).jpg

I am getting a bit concerned about my welding capabilities :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

practice on the offcuts from your keg before you strike an arc on the keg. It's looking good so far, Good luck... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby 1 2many » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:33 pm

Yeah thanks JayD I did have a short time with a stainless steel rod on a dc inverter welder and was suprised at how smooth the arc was as apposed to ac stick welding ,but i only tried one rod and it was like 15 cm long so i think i will order some more rods and have another crack.

:scared-eek: How ever i did cheat again, by dropping the 2" end cap and a 90 deg elbow into a shop to get the hole drilled and then tigged to the elbow :)) :))

I just couldn't see the 1" bi metal hole saw cutting through that thick of a plate in the pedistall drill i think it would have been to fast and trying to keep it cool well no go next door to work ,A big Engineering Work Shop, so i hand balled it.
:D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:17 pm

A pic of the 1" drain , just stand on your head and it will make sence :)) :))

Drain setup 1 (Copy).jpg

Drain setuo (Copy).jpg

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Looking good 1 2.... wanna go for 3 ? :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Like it a lot 1 2 many

... may have to copy this one. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:44 pm

dogbreathe vodka wrote:Like it a lot 1 2 many

... may have to copy this one. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV

Please do DBV at the rate that i get things done i will end up following your build :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

That will make it easyer on me. :D

It rained today thats my excuse and iam sticking to it. :angry-banghead:

I will get into it tomorow :)) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Bushy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Gettin there 12. Should call this the six week boiler challenge. Have you got washes waiting?
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Bushy wrote:Gettin there 12. Should call this the six week boiler challenge. Have you got washes waiting?

:)) :)) Yes I do bushy i like to age my wash before distilling :oops:

I have a TPW that finished on the 10 th march 4 months and 3 days :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Shiiiiit and I thought my 6week old wash was a bit past it's use by date waiting for steampunk :laughing-rolling:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Bushy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:16 am

1 2many wrote: :)) :)) Yes I do bushy i like to age my wash before distilling :oops:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Very good 12
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.