Boiler build attempt

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: Boiler build attempt

Postby MacStill » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:49 pm

That drain bit you got tigged up I find interesting, you could've used part of the element guard with the 1" BSP thread for the same thing :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 1 2many » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:18 pm

MacStill wrote:That drain bit you got tigged up I find interesting, you could've used part of the element guard with the 1" BSP thread for the same thing :D

Never thought of that , Well there is a good option if you can't get it made ,good thinkin Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Elbow fitting.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby 1 2many » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:01 pm

Well i have hit a bit of a stumbling block , I cant decide if i should
place the elements at the same level horizontaly splayed apart, or put one element ontop of the other seperated by the keg ring.

The problem i am having is trying to work out a template for the ferules if i was to place them side by side seperated by 150-200 mm , that is my preferance.

But stacking the elements one on top of the other seperated by the keg ring would be quite easy.

I think seperating the elements on the the same leval would give better heat coverage rather than stacked elements , but then again people say it's basicaly dependant on power input.

so is there any benefit in spreading them or will stacking them work as well?

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby drunkmore » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:31 am

1 2many wrote:
Bushy wrote:Gettin there 12. Should call this the six week boiler challenge. Have you got washes waiting?

:)) :)) Yes I do bushy i like to age my wash before distilling :oops:

I have a TPW that finished on the 10 th march 4 months and 3 days :))

Fark that's going to be a five year old drop before its even hit the still :)) hope you've got it on oak :))
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:48 am

I think ya already know the answer mate everyones gunna have a different opinion just go with ya gut. Ill probably stack because im lazy and I dont reckon itll make sfa difference just my opinion. Pretty sure mac does them side by side so thats a pretty good indication you got it right he's made a few boilers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby 1 2many » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:18 pm

I am still leaning towards horizontal placement reason being if i wanted to do a test recipy and only made a 23 litre wash i could get away with it based on a strip run collecting at about 40% and 10% wash that would leave about 17.5 litres left in boiler which would cover both elements, however if i stacked them i have measured the minimum volume and to cover the top element i need 23 litres left in boiler. just trying to cover my bases thats all.

Or am i being unrealistic in the aproach above, I have too sizes of fermenter 25 ltr and the 60 litre and for experimental test washes i thought that a 23 liter wash would be as small as you would want to go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Bushy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:49 pm

1 2many wrote:I am still leaning towards horizontal placement reason being if i wanted to do a test recipy and only made a 23 litre wash i could get away with it based on a strip run collecting at about 40% and 10% wash that would leave about 17.5 litres left in boiler which would cover both elements, however if i stacked them i have measured the minimum volume and to cover the top element i need 23 litres left in boiler. just trying to cover my bases thats all.

Or am i being unrealistic in the aproach above, I have too sizes of fermenter 25 ltr and the 60 litre and for experimental test washes i thought that a 23 liter wash would be as small as you would want to go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mate. You're draggin this out beyond belief. Perhaps you could lean towards finishing this flamin thing and running those geriatric washes sittin in the laundry. Fair fukn dinkum. If you are gonna run a 23 litre wash then you only need to run the bottom element anyway. Yeah?
Edit. Sorry if I may be a little blunt but yr startin to do me fkn head in. Run yr still.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Bushy wrote:
1 2many wrote:I am still leaning towards horizontal placement reason being if i wanted to do a test recipy and only made a 23 litre wash i could get away with it based on a strip run collecting at about 40% and 10% wash that would leave about 17.5 litres left in boiler which would cover both elements, however if i stacked them i have measured the minimum volume and to cover the top element i need 23 litres left in boiler. just trying to cover my bases thats all.

Mate. You're draggin this out beyond belief. Perhaps you could lean towards finishing this flamin thing and running those geriatric washes sittin in the laundry. Fair fukn dinkum. If you are gonna run a 23 litre wash then you only need to run the bottom element anyway. Yeah?
Edit. Sorry if I may be a little blunt but yr startin to do me fkn head in. Run yr still.

:text-+1: :text-+1:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Kinda got to agree with bushy on this one :oops:

So I "have made" the ferules to fit horizontaly 100 mm apart , just a touch more smoothing out the gaps then i will make the wholes in keg. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:21 pm

what the fuck is a wholes
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:what the fuck is a wholes

It's like whales but has an "o" :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:42 pm

MacStill wrote:
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:what the fuck is a wholes

It's like whales but has an "o" :teasing-neener:

:text-+1: :laughing-rolling:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby the Doctor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Greenpeace wants to save the Wholes.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Cute little critters those vholes or is that voles.....?

8-} 8-}

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby 1 2many » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Can't find a way out of this one but it was fun wholes it lasted. :)) :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:53 pm

whale oil beef hooked :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:02 pm

MacStill wrote:whale oil beef hooked :laughing-rolling:

I get it ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Well i did a bit more grinding on the ferules today , weather was nice in the morning so after fairly closely getting the ferules to fit the keg i thought lets cut the holes for the ferules so just loosley measured it up and scribed a line on the inside of ferule to locate the hole the did the standard drill trick and a small dremal cutting disk.

I made the holes about 2mm smaller the the ferule so that after welding there was a leak i was going to solder it from the inside and when sealed put a groove on the overlap inside the ferule so it could drain if that makes any sence.

So the keg is finaly ready to be welded, as for legs i am not concerned about them yet she will be on bricks for a bit.
Couple of pics.

Ferule fit.jpg

Element Holes.jpg

Ready to weld.jpg

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:31 pm

A week later than i hoped but i got the boiler back today and very happy with the welds, although they havn't been pickled the welds look good tomorow will do a leak test and if all is sealed try and find some pickling paste but from what i have seen so far it looks as a kg is about minimum buy size . Only just made it with the angle of the element guard ferules the elements are close together but not to close.

A couple of pics

Element guards (Copy).jpg

Tigged Up (Copy).jpg

not pickled (Copy).jpg

Element positions (Copy).jpg

I am getting closer :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm

you could pickle those welds with acetone mate, just give them a good wire brushing first :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Boilers & burners.