Keg vs Urn

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Keg vs Urn

Postby Glovefoot » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:03 am

Hi all,
This is my first post on this forum and would like some opinions on boiler options (keg vs urn).
I am in the process of collecting all the bits and pieces to build my first still. Will be building a boka reflux for vodka only.
After reading tons of info both here and elsewhere on the net, I am lead to believe this is the best option for both a beginner and a budget to get a reasonably high quality product.
Maybe in the future I might have a go at building or just buying something a bit more upmarket but it would be nice to equip myself with a good, safe and reliable foundation (boiler).
Crown Industries in SA manufacture a 40ltr. Urn with a clip lock lid and has a 2400w concealed element for around $300. But I'm just a bit concerned that the lid won't be durable enough to take the weight of a 1.2m still.
What I like about the Urn is that the whole lid comes off for easy cleaning and of course the fact that I won't have to screw around sourcing a keg and having to get someone to mod it to accommodate a element etc.
Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt.
Glovefoot

equipment: Boka Reflux

Re: Keg vs Urn

Postby bt1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:08 am

Howdy,
And welcome...sounds like a plan and you've done the homework...

One thing with the urn, you'll need to pull apart to add a constant power controller rather than the off-on thermostats. Head down to the electrical controller posts there's plenty info on this.
The rooting around with this could be more hassles than a simple keg, one of Mac's weldless elements and a quick 4"/100mm neck conversion as this stuff is well known...the thermo in the urn is an unknown.. you need a good sparky to sort that out.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SBB » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:18 am

I think in the long run you will be happier with a keg, Its going to give you more options overall as you progress in the hobby.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby r.c.barstud » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:33 am

G`day, go the keg option mate, its a heavier wall, higher grade stainless, they are as durable as 20 durable things and will allow you to have interchangeable heads as you get more experience. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Postby crow » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 pm

You can put a 4 or 6" fill port/ferrule in a keg for access , course it all costs money but they aren't going to give you that urn either ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Keg vs Urn

Postby Dominator » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Personally I would go for a keg.

Urn- $300, sure it is less work than building a keg boiler but it is smaller, there are questions as to weather it will take the weight of your still and it does not leave much room to upgrade your still.

Keg- easy to upgrade to have larger ferrules for your still, can add extra elements for quicker heat up times, will easily take a Boka or a bubbler when you upgrade.
Cost:
Keg $60
FSD 2400W element $55
32mm Holesaw (if you don't already own one) $40
That is only $155.
If you were concerned about cleaning you could buy a 4" cleaning/fill port kit from FSD and get it welded to your keg. That would surely cost less than $150.
You could also fit a drain, a second element and/or a larger ferrule so you can fit a larger still.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Or you could buy a T500 25l boiler that are available as a separate item from a HBS instead of the urn.
But I would strongly recommend getting a legal decomissioned keg as the best option.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Glovefoot » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:59 pm

It would seem that the opinions are unanomous. So a keg it's gonna be.
Had my heart set on that urn though but I'm not gonna go against good advice.
Thank you all for your time and suggestions.

Matt.
Glovefoot

equipment: Boka Reflux

Postby SBB » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Glovefoot wrote:What I like about the Urn is that the whole lid comes off for easy cleaning

Cleaning a keg even with the original size hole isnt really an issue, just a quick squirt with the garden hose roll it around a bit , repeat and tip upside down to drain.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bt1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Good call Matt,

unless you have sparky access at no cost believe me working out wiring on an existing item is a bloody nightmare...I spent $150 for a tech to investigate an option, gave him the schematics and ended up with fuck all. It's a quality bloke/sparky that really understands power controllers...seems they ain't that common.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Triangle » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.

I had a look but nothing that reassures me that the 2" sprue port at the top of a keg (I gather not all are that size) will accommodate a 2" triclamp assembly from a still?

Or do I need to cut it off and fit a weld on 2" port?
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Muppet » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:46 pm

They work fine straight to a 2" tri clamp fitting. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Brendan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:54 pm

I think you've answered the question in your post...

Urn can be a complete and ready to go unit, however many lack the strength required for a decent column. Your options for upgrading are also limited. With a keg, it's ridiculously strong and durable, but you will possibly need help getting cutting and welding done to add a large fill/cleaning port. So it comes back to your decision...

In my opinion, I would always say a keg without a doubt. I have never seen the benefit of being able to take the lid off and clean it out when only running as a reflux for vodka. You'll be running clean washes, and with a stainless steel keg, a simple hose out will have the inside looking like new :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby 1 2many » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:57 pm

:text-+1: Keg all the way IMO, they are perfect for the job. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Return to Boilers & burners.