SBB's Boiler Build.

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

SBB's Boiler Build.

Postby SBB » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Been trying to find something suitable for a boiler build for some time now, on the weekend I found this little beauty at a garage sale. Its a stainless 30 Gallon Pot / boiler that was once used by a cheese maker. The bloke wanted $100 for it, some haggling and I got it for $80. Ive stuck a 20L plastic cube in the photos to try and give and idea of size, it looks bigger in real life I think.
The plan is to weld a top into it using 2mm stainless plate, then flip it over so the top becomes the bottom, a fill port and 6 or 8 inch flange with one of Mac reducers is to be added to fit the Bubbler on. Legs and other goodies are still being thought about.
Ill be paying someone else to do the welding so want to be sure of a few things before I get underway with this project.
Ive never buggered around with stainless before and have never really read up on it a lot so have a few questions for the blokes who do know about it.

Q1 I can get a piece of 2mm 304 stainless for the job, is 304 suitable for a boiler or should I be using a better grade??
If I use any other grade that I can source locally I have to go thinner (1.6mm) , I want to keep the bottom as heavy as possible for both heat distribution and strength.
Q2 should I be stipulating that a certain grade of wire be used for the welding??

Im sure Ill come up with more questions before this is over, also anyone with suggestions or ideas that might be helpful with this build is welcome to toss them in.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: SBB's Boiler Build.

Postby MacStill » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:46 pm

You obviously dont value your membership over at arty d :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 pm

FFS it aint that big is it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Apparently it's more to do with who you associate with than boiler size, a member over there has more than one large pro boiler.... :teasing-tease:

But ya just never can tell what prejudices the green coats are whispering in the bosses ear over there ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm

2mm 304 will be fie mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: It'll take more heat than you can throw at it :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: Great score BTW :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby crow » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:50 pm

I assume as you are taking into consideration heat distribution you are looking to gas or wood fire this. Excellent score BTW :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 am

Crow yeah im sticking to gas for now, might need to buy or make a bigger burner though.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 pm

I'm looking at doing something similar keep missing gumtree deals by a hours or a day. Keen to see how it goes all the best of luck mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: Would love a FSD 100l boiler they look schmick but cant justify $1200 on a boiler so I'm gunna keep looking for a project
ticknaylor

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:41 pm

After a heap of hold ups Ive finally gotten around to getting this boiler done. its been a long time coming, Having a drain and filler port as well as not having to remove the still from the boiler to wash it is a luxury after using a stock standard beer keg for so long.
Anyone who hasn't seen this thread before might want to scroll to the top of the page to see the Industrial sized pot that started it all.
Started off by ordering flanges tri clamps and a few other goodies from Mac. The pot was then given to a mate who spends a fair bit of his life welding stainless.
A couple of days later it came back looking like this.
A piece of 3mm stainless was cut and welded into what was the top of the pot. The lip around the top of the pot was left on to add a bit of rigidity to the whole thing. I had another reason for leaving it as was but will go into that later.

A four inch fill port and and four inch mounting point for the still were added to what was the bottom of the pot.
I originally ordered the thermometer to replace the dicky looking one that's on the bubbler, Once i saw it in the flesh I couldn't help but add it to the boiler for the eye candy factor. I was a bit worried that the weight of bubbler might cause the new top of the boiler to flex a bit, so another bit of 3mm was welded on there as well to strengthen things up a bit.

While all that was happening I got stuck into creating a stand to sit the whole box and dice on.
Started of by making some legs with bolts in the bottoms of them for leveling purposes, then keep adding bits as I went.

Had to attack the brand new burner with a grinder to squeeze it in were I wanted it to fit.

Then added a adjustable regulator so that it doesn't take for ever to get up to operating temp.

Now back to the lip that was once on the top of the Pot, The lip fits snugly into the ring on the stand. This leaves about an inch of gap between the outside of the boiler itself and the ring. The plan here is to add a shroud that will fit down into the ring, the space between will then be packed with insulation material.
Image.

Might hit the submit before something goes wrong and I have to type this all out again :))
Be back with more photos in a bit.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby 7evan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Looks the goods dude.
120L gotta be happy with that!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
7evan

equipment: FSD/COPPER handmade crossbred bubbler!
Itailian Spiral Burner with HP Reg

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:15 pm

The next part of the job was to get the original 4 inch to two inch reducer off the bubbler and replace it with a four inch flange, had a bit of a struggle getting that off, but it came in the end, just as the Mapp gas ran out. Glad I only soft soldered the old girl together.
Removing the original reducer and associated bits n pieces caused the still to sit a bit low for my liking, so I add another short section of four inch, at some later stage this might turn into a short section with removable plates. It might also double as a short column for a four inch pot head. Dunno yes will see were it all leads as time goes on.
Ive never been keen on the idea of still fires, and as Ive always used gas the shotty has a small extension to keep any alcohol well clear of the fire.
Anyway thats about it, and before anyone asks, NOOOOOO I aint polishing it, I have enough other stuff to polish and the still is way down the list.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Maaaaate....kickarse boiler!
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Smbjk » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:27 pm

Awesome mate. Now thats a boiler. Does it leak :teasing-tease:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby 7evan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Small extension? ?? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Paranoid much :teasing-tease:
7evan

equipment: FSD/COPPER handmade crossbred bubbler!
Itailian Spiral Burner with HP Reg

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:40 pm

That come up really nice SBB.
Might b up your way sone.Mind if I pop in.Might bring a polishing rag with me :laughing-rolling:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:42 pm

That's an awesome setup SBB, a long time coming and well deserved mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can just about see the grin from here :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:57 pm

A well thought out build SBB :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Good stuff SBB. Good to see a boiler that isn't made out of a keg/kegs. Thinking outside of the box :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I also love the unpolished look, personally :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:04 pm

7evan wrote:Small extension? ?? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Its only 6 foot :laughing-rolling: , comes off easy with a stainless union, better to be safe than sorry.

Yummyrum wrote:Mind if I pop in.

Ya welcome any time Yummy, best bring ya swag so we can have a drink.

MacStill wrote:I can just about see the grin from here :D

yeah the grin is big Mac, happy as a pig in shit with the result.

I found a bonus use for the flat top, sat a saucepan full of cold soup on the top the other day before firing up for the first run. Had a hot lunch without leaving the shed an hour later. :D
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby Chips Molasses » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:25 am

Wow, that looks great, quite a serious bit of gear! I am sure you are itching to run it.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.